Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    But WM5 is kicking it's *** right now with devices.
    Tell me of ONE WM5 phone which has outsold the 650. C'mon, tell me.

I might leave the Palm OS, but I'll tell you this much: I imagine I'll be sticking with a Treo(be it a WM5 or POS version or otherwise) for a very long time.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Sure, maybe Palm hasn't made any OFFICIAL announcements, but we've all seen the footprints in the sand. What do you need for confirmation? A Palm exec to deliver the next POS Tree to your doorstep personally?
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Exactly that. An official announcement, just like they did for the 700w.

In that other statement, I meant that Palm OS phones are not being released as much as WM5 phones. It hurts having only ONE Palm OS manufacturer left.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Exactly that. An official announcement, just like they did for the 700w.

In that other statement, I meant that Palm OS phones are not being released as much as WM5 phones. It hurts having only ONE Palm OS manufacturer left.
    I'm sure an official announcement will be coming soon. Remember: the 700w wasn't announced all that long before it was released.

I can feel ya on the second part. Palm is becoming the Apple of the smartphone world...
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I think they look at it like this. They OWN the market and today, no one worries about long term stability, the only thing on any corporate mind is this quarters profits. I think the reason they can continue with this course is that 650's are still selling strong and money is still rolling in. Lik a crack addict, we don't wanna wait for the "good stuff" tomorrow when we can get our habds on any stuff today.

Now if a competitor HAD a product on the market that they saw significantly eating into thier market share, bringing 650 sales to a standstill, Palm stock woud ineveitably slide as profits paled. I think at that point, to keep stockholders and mindshare, then we'd quickly see an announcement to attempt to halt "switherooskis".
    Exactly. The Treo is the current 800 pound gorilla of the smartphone market(with the Blackberry being the 700 pound gorilla...given current legal problems anyway), and that isn't going to change anytime soon as long as Palm releases the next POS Treo(or just another Treo in general) sometime this year. The amount of features a smartphone has obviously doesn't matter all that much to your average smartphone buyer. If that were the case, the Blackberry would be MUCH further down on the smartphone totem pole than it is...
    There was an offical announcement for the 700w because of the target audience for the 700w (IT admins who needed to put in end of year budgets). For that reason it was announced when it was. If, when Palm decides to touch that market segment then that would happen again.

The consumer market (which most of us are despite our usage patterns), is a lot more fickle. Since the m500 debacle, Palm has been extremly careful in letting out when and what is coming. This has played to a positive and negative effect, but it has made sense in the longer term viability of Palm as an independent company.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Honestly I would rather wait until they can release a 95% bug free device. Chill guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizd4Life
    Honestly I would rather wait until they can release a 95% bug free device. Chill guys.
    I am still looking for this bug list. Going into my 13th month with the 650 still waiting for my 1st bug. Of course I didn't follow the standard course. Read the manual, eased into usage as described therein, loading only OS5 programs, avoiding most "OS 2 and above" programs, avoiding system hacks, avoiding programs that replace built in system calls with their own, and don't have 12 competing "must stay resident" programs. Except for a low volume issue on early models, that seems to go away to many's satisfaction a ROM upgrade.

The only issue I have with the thing is that I must flush the cache after playing EDGE as it eats up a large chunck of memory and doesn't quite give it all back. This is only a problem if I intend to run TomTom right behind it as it also likes to grab 5 MB of memory, preferable all in one chunk. It will run w/o issue for about 90 minutes of constant use but after that, I have seen some occassional anomolies. EDGE leaves my largest chunk just under 3k which I can restore with a soft reset from the app launcher. I do that and TT rund fine for 6+ hours whiuch has been the limit so far of my usage.

Do I blame Palm or blame EDGE ? Or do I just figure that I have stretched this device to its proverbial limit with two huge, outstanding and capable programs and an occasional soft reset is "the price to pay" for their frankly amazing capabilities that I can't quite belive can be run in such a small form factor device.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I am still looking for this bug list. Going into my 13th month with the 650 still waiting for my 1st bug.
    I'm looking for this list as well. I can't even force a reset with two apps as you've claimed to be able to do Jack. The only way I can get my Treo to reset is if I manually do so.
    All signs point to the 700p (or whatever it will be called) being the next Palm OS based Treo. It has the same exact formfactor as the 650 with a few updated features. That makes it a replacement for the 650. And that's why you won't see it announced far in advance of when it actually becomes available for sale. Otherwise it would have a significant negative impact on 650 sales.

The 700w was a different creature being that its based on a different OS.

Palm has also hinted that they may offer Treos in new formfactors. If they plan to offer additional Treos as part of a broader lineup, you may see those announced a bit farther in advance of release.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    How many Palm OS fans left or are considering leaving for other devices on this board?
    I said Palm diehard fans. People who are on the fence between two completely different OS's can't be considered 'diehard' fans.

Diehard POS fans are not going to leave. They will hold out for the 700p no matter when it comes (for further proof, just check this guy out.)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    I'm looking for this list as well. I can't even force a reset with two apps as you've claimed to be able to do Jack. The only way I can get my Treo to reset is if I manually do so.
    Was able to do it first time . Did get a "I need more memory to run this app" on 2nd try.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    I don't think palm has anything left. All they have offered us is NOTHING. A couple of pictures of an upgraded treo (700p) and a windows treo. That's it. They're not trying to keep up with other company's.
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I said Palm diehard fans. People who are on the fence between two completely different OS's can't be considered 'diehard' fans.

Diehard POS fans are not going to leave. They will hold out for the 700p no matter when it comes (for further proof, just check this guy out.)
    I guess that means I was a die soft fan (been with Palm since USR PalmPilot 128k). Now on the darkside.

Holding out for the 700p "no matter when it comes" is a little like passing the last gas station on the interstate for 120 miles, knowing you really need to go now.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho

Hey T!

I resemble that remark!

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by json
    I don't think palm has anything left. All they have offered us is NOTHING. A couple of pictures of an upgraded treo (700p) and a windows treo. That's it. They're not trying to keep up with other company's.
    Cobalt was a bust and threw them 2 years behind.

The 700p on FrankenGarnet is a stop gap to keep us from going totally crazy.

The true test to whether a competing OS to WM5 survives, will be in the next Treo beyond the 700P that will implement ALP, Palm/Linux or whatever it will be called. If that one bricks, we will all be going over to the dark side. I will give Ed C. 'til then.

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach
    Where is the pictures? I saw the specs and they are lame,
    Did my post even show up?
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach
    Did my post even show up?
    Are you serious? Where are the 700p pics?

C'mon, not trying to flame here, but....THEY'RE EVERYWHERE! Don't be afraid to look around a little...

here's a teaser for you...
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Pics and Summary at www.treonauts.com -- scroll down the right side of the current page until you see "Archives", select February 2006 and go down near the bottom to Treoo 700P -- First Pics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    All signs point to the 700p (or whatever it will be called) being the next Palm OS based Treo. It has the same exact formfactor as the 650 with a few updated features. That makes it a replacement for the 650. And that's why you won't see it announced far in advance of when it actually becomes available for sale. Otherwise it would have a significant negative impact on 650 sales.

The 700w was a different creature being that its based on a different OS.

Palm has also hinted that they may offer Treos in new formfactors. If they plan to offer additional Treos as part of a broader lineup, you may see those announced a bit farther in advance of release.

How about one or two months before release? At this rate, too many people are leaving. I'm seeing more and more posts on here for other handhelds.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast