Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Many of those were household (or business world) names in their time. I don't think it is just WiFi that has Palm in the ditch. Take their memory management (please) - without third party utilities to store and launch programs from the SD card, 32mb gets real tight real quick. What about a real file system - I know it's childish, but it is much easier to find and manipulate files in WM5 than POS. Versamail, in my experience, never wirelessly syncs with Exchange Server correctly two times in a row; and even when it does sync, it messes up the calendar and may or may not pick up all you're email. Bluetooth headsets are a headache on the 650. And how many times can you go through a typical day without you or the person on the other end of the conversation repeatedly asking "What did you say?" Had any random resets this week?

Don't get me wrong, the Treo 650 (and its predecessor 600) were ground breaking devices in their time. However, so many players are now in the game (converged devices, whether you cal them PDA phones or smartphones), and Palm is no longer a leader but a follower. I want them to succeed (we would have NEVER left Windows 98 without Apple), but they can't do that with a second rate feature set, asking for prices that are above their more feature rich competitors.

That's the way of the dinosaur.

Puh-lease. None of those except for PS/2 were EVER household names(and even that's a stretch). Hehe, well, you have a point in regards to Versamail...which is why it didn't take me(or a lot of people) too long to switch to either Chatter or Snapper(I know I Know, it should be less problematic out of the box). I have NOT had any random resets this week(or any within the last three weeks as far as I can remember), but I have been asked, or asked myself "what did you say" or "huh" or "what" or any of those, as I would if I owned just about any cell phone on the market. Palm's no longer a leader!? Tell me of a smartphone on the market that's more successful than the Treo or Blackberry. Please. I've asked this question more than once in more than one thread, yet everyone seems to be dodging it.

Like I've said before, the Treo is the current 800 pound gorilla of the smartphone market, and I doubt that's going to change anytime in the next 5 years or so(unless Palm REALLY f*cks up), regardless of file management or bluetooth or blah blah blah. If all that were REALLY an issue on the mass market level, then Apple would EASILY be the industry leader when it came to computers.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    Puh-lease. None of those except for PS/2 were EVER household names(and even that's a stretch)....
    Ah youth - some of those names were too old for you to recognize.

Okay - I give up. You win. We'll come back here in three (not five) years to see if this is Treo_POS/ALPO_central or Treo_WM7_central.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I'm a big Rio fan myself. Their MP3 players are fantastic, and are always critically acclaimed(as if that matters). I own the Karma, although I haven't used it in quite a while because of the Rio Carbon, which is more pod-like than the iPod. I've been hoping for a Karma 2 for a long time now, but I guess that isn't going to happen

I hope you know Rio has closed its door. There is no more Rio, no more Karma (frankly, they blew their credit with me with the POS 32mb Rio 300.)

Most of the "other" harddrive mp3 maker has exited the market, they include Olympus, Dell(!) and Sony(!). Treo is no where as good at killing the competition as the iPod. For one thing iPod has very good software come with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    I hope you know Rio has closed its door. There is no more Rio, no more Karma (frankly, they blew their credit with me with the POS 32mb Rio 300.)

Most of the "other" harddrive mp3 maker has exited the market, they include Olympus, Dell(!) and Sony(!). Treo is no where as good at killing the competition as the iPod. For one thing iPod has very good software come with it.
    Yeah I know, hence me saying "but I guess that isn't going to happen". I doubt that I'll ever buy a stand-alone MP3 player again anyway...

And you're right - no one kills it's competition like the iPod does. Makes you wonder considering they've been outdone by almost everyone when it comes to features and price...the same reason people are whining about the Treo.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?

Okay - I give up. You win. We'll come back here in three (not five) years to see if this is Treo_POS/ALPO_central or Treo_WM7_central.
    Hey now - I don't wanna win by concession! Besides, it isn't a matter of winning. It's about debate and expresssing one's opinion. I value and respect your opinion dstrauss, but in some instances I simply disagree with you. I hope we can be friends in the future. I have to give you one thing though: at least you think it's going to be a Treo_SOMETHING_Central in the future...

And by the way, I know that PS/2 isn't short for PlayStation 2. I just noticed the "youth" comment and thought maybe that's what you thought I meant.
    And by the way, I know that PS/2 isn't short for PlayStation 2. I just noticed the "youth" comment and thought maybe that's what you thought I meant.
    Okay, you got me again. Spirited debate is great, and you do defend your opinions very well. The best of all worlds is that we prod Palm to be an effective competitor - where in the world would Moto and Samsung come up with their new thin gems absent Treo. Sure, BB hand a keyboard device even before Treo, but until Treo they had no real reason to have to compete in the thumboard space.

And yes, it will definitely be a Treo_Something_Central future ( I still believe - shades of Perry - they will see the light and push out a flip phone Treo!)
    Shades of Perry . . . . . . . does that mean "Eternal Optimist" or "Infernal Optimist"?
    Okay, you got me again. Spirited debate is great, and you do defend your opinions very well. The best of all worlds is that we prod Palm to be an effective competitor - where in the world would Moto and Samsung come up with their new thin gems absent Treo. Sure, BB hand a keyboard device even before Treo, but until Treo they had no real reason to have to compete in the thumboard space.

And yes, it will definitely be a Treo_Something_Central future ( I still believe - shades of Perry - they will see the light and push out a flip phone Treo!)
    This isn't about getting anyone. I respect your opinion as much as I respect my own. People like us are helping to move this industry forward. I'm glad that even though Palm's not being as innovative as it could be right now, through it's succcess, it's forcing others to innovate, which is good for all of us. Keep on keeping on, dstrauss...you're a cool peep and I hope we can be friends in the future.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...7&postcount=36

So true, the entire smartdevice industry would not be where it is today without Jeff, Ed and Company. We have had a hiccup (see post above). Hopefully, the new OS pushes the envelope again.

Cheers, Perry.

Hiccup? More like an explosion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Hi ShannonElements!

That's the beauty of a Treo! It's whatever a person wants it to be. Just as there is no one perfect device for everone -- but for each person, a perfect device . . . . . . .the same holds for within Treo users, some of us came frome the PDA side, others from the phone side. The Treo is whatever you use it for -- each person's usage is different. I would say my usage is in this order:

PDA
    EMail
    Web
    Phone
    iPod
    Camera (but don't take this out!)

I want the Treo to advance in it's capabilities for everyone, but I just do not want the "PDA" aspect to be forgotten in the process.

Cheers, Perry.
    I know what you mean about it being what you want it to be (just like any convergence device is, really). For me, it's:

Email
    PDA
    iPod
    Web
    Phone
    Camera - please remove
    No, No, No, please do not take my camera . . . . .
    OK, you may keep it, but up it to 2MP with real flash, autofocus, and zoom.
    I don't chime in much but I will for this one...

My order of usage for my treo 650 is:

Phone
    PDA
    Email
    Web
    iPod
    Camera <--- agree, keep it but I don't use it much.
    Entertainment - (Games)
    This isn't about getting anyone. I respect your opinion as much as I respect my own. People like us are helping to move this industry forward. I'm glad that even though Palm's not being as innovative as it could be right now, through it's succcess, it's forcing others to innovate, which is good for all of us. Keep on keeping on, dstrauss...you're a cool peep and I hope we can be friends in the future.
    I think we already made friends - and maybe on more of the same side of issues than we think. Besides, who couldn't like that avatar.
    Puh-lease. None of those except for PS/2 were EVER household names(and even that's a stretch). Hehe, well, you have a point in regards to Versamail...which is why it didn't take me(or a lot of people) too long to switch to either Chatter or Snapper(I know I Know, it should be less problematic out of the box). I have NOT had any random resets this week(or any within the last three weeks as far as I can remember), but I have been asked, or asked myself "what did you say" or "huh" or "what" or any of those, as I would if I owned just about any cell phone on the market. Palm's no longer a leader!? Tell me of a smartphone on the market that's more successful than the Treo or Blackberry. Please. I've asked this question more than once in more than one thread, yet everyone seems to be dodging it.

Like I've said before, the Treo is the current 800 pound gorilla of the smartphone market, and I doubt that's going to change anytime in the next 5 years or so(unless Palm REALLY f*cks up), regardless of file management or bluetooth or blah blah blah. If all that were REALLY an issue on the mass market level, then Apple would EASILY be the industry leader when it came to computers.
    Do you mean in the US market only? Because Symbian phones are global leaders. And yes Palm did mess up when they allowed WM on their devices. Now they're just another WM phone in the crowd and the form factor is really all they have left. And it may not be enough to keep loyal customers when there are so many other better equipped WM devices. The form factor is about the only thing keeping many people with the Treo. But will that be enough in the end?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678