Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 157
  1. #121  
    Sorry I couldn't help but to draw the iPod comparison. A lot of the same people who complain about Palm "falling behind" are perfectly happy carrying around their iPods which are WAY behind most of the competition in terms of features and niceties(such as integrated FM radio). People stick with the iPod despite the competition being more functional and cheaper(most of the time) because of it's ease of use and winning form factor(the same could be said of the Treo). And of course, because they wanna be considered 'hip'. I can't help but think that if the Treo was a little more chic, we wouldn't be debating this right now.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
  2. #122  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Not globally. And I still suspect there are more BB owners.
    I suspect there are more Blackberry owners as well. Even still, you can't expect Palm to design the Treo based on what it's far less successful competition is doing.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
  3. #123  
    Both WM and Symbian phones actually rule worldwide. And the features on these phones that are coming out this year outpace the Treo. Globally the Treo is not really that popular. Only in the Americas.

    I like the 650 a lot, but that MAY be the last Treo for me. I will be looking at what they actually put on the 700p and Hollywood, however.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  4. #124  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Both WM and Symbian phones actually rule worldwide. And the features on these phones that are coming out this year outpace the Treo. Globally the Treo is not that popular. Only in the Americas.
    So you're comparing the Treo to smartphones in a completely different market then? Fair enough, I guess. But is there any ONE particular smartphone that's more popular than the Treo or Blackberry worldwide? What is it? Could you provide a link maybe?
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
  5. #125  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I like the 650 a lot, but that MAY be the last Treo for me. I will be looking at what they actually put on the 700p and Hollywood, however.[/b][/COLOR]
    Let me ask you LT...do you own an iPod? I've surmised from one of your previous posts that you do, but I just thought I'd ask.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
  6. #126  
    No, iRiver and soon to own Cowon iAudio. I decided not to jump on the iPod bandwagon after reading about other possibly better MP3 players.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  7. #127  
    OK good. You have full reign to complain about the Treo's features(or lack thereof) as much as you want then Hehehe
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
  8. TazUk's Avatar
    Posts
    689 Posts
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    #128  
    The problem is the more features they add the greater drain on power. Just having Bluetooth on makes a big difference to how long the battery on the T650 lasts, it would be even worse with WiFi and GPS. Sure you can switch these things off when your not using them but most people wouldn't bother. It's like these top of the range laptops which have great performance and features but only last an hour or so on battery. Whilst for some people that's Ok as they have them plugged into the mains wherever they are but for me that would make it useless. I guess it comes down to a compromise between what we want and what we need
  9. #129  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    No, iRiver and soon to own Cowon iAudio. I decided not to jump on the iPod bandwagon after reading about other possibly better MP3 players.
    Since we're totally off topic here, I'll chip in: The best digital audio player, hands down, is the Rio Karma. It's been out for years, and still has not been surpassed in usability. Unfortunately Rio is no more, and the Karma is no longer being produced. I just picked up 2 on ebay though, for fear that mine will die and having no desire for an ipod or any of the other current offerings.

    There is an active user base at Riovolution.com.
  10. #130  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Hi ShannonElements!

    I know for most -- it's a phone first and PDA 2nd.

    For me it's a PDA with live email and Web and Oh, ya, it's got this phone thingie in it. My time with the T3 and a phone hanging from my belt was short lived. I rebel against calling the Treo a smartphone, for me -- the Treo is a full fledged PDA and phone combined. If Handspring had not led the way -- the 'smartphone' market would still be evolving towards the ultimate smartphone.

    Cheers, Perry.
    Totally agree with every word here - the "just a phone" statement made by someone else earlier obviously does not apply to the Treo's capability. Most may not fully exploit its capabilities (shame on them), but that is by choice or lack of in-depth knowledge of the device. For those of us who are PDA-oriented, we want the PDA genes of the Treo to keep advancing, and I think they will (maybe not at a quick enough pace though).

    I may stray for a while, but I will definitely be back when ALP is here.

    *stares out the window, looking longingly towards the future*
  11. #131  
    Perry and Ninodelsol:

    Absolutely agree. I'm so tired of hearing (from Palm as well as others) "It's a phone first." Not for me. I use the PDA and email functions a lot more than the phone. I probably spend more time using Blazer than I do the phone, too.

    I had a Palm pda long before I had a cell phone, and the only reason I use a treo instead of a regular pda and cell phone (connected by bluetooth) is because I hate carrying two devices.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  12. #132  
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    Sorry I couldn't help but to draw the iPod comparison. A lot of the same people who complain about Palm "falling behind" are perfectly happy carrying around their iPods which are WAY behind most of the competition in terms of features and niceties(such as integrated FM radio). People stick with the iPod despite the competition being more functional and cheaper(most of the time) because of it's ease of use and winning form factor(the same could be said of the Treo). And of course, because they wanna be considered 'hip'. I can't help but think that if the Treo was a little more chic, we wouldn't be debating this right now.
    I have had 2 generations of Ipods and I am still waiting for a bluetooth ipod. However their video ipod coming looks very fine! But I still want my Treo 700P and a Hollywood P (I know that may not be in the works)
  13. #133  
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    ...Because when you're the 800 pound gorilla, you don't have to follow everyone else around. The Treo is in a similar position in it's market, in my opinion.
    Former 800 pound gorillas no longer with us:

    CP/M
    Osborne
    DOS
    DEC
    Data General
    Wordstar
    Wordperfect (actually on a respirator)
    Ashton Tate (dBase; Framework)
    OS2
    GriD
    PS/2
    Newton

    These are only a handful of industry leaders that failed to "keep up with the Joneses" and lost their 800 pound gorilla status. Clearly, Palm is evolving from a PDA to communications company, and branching out into WM5 shows they have the capacity to understand the market is shifting under their feet. However, what you see as "feature-itis, or feature creep" is the leading edge of the industry, just like the graphical interface introduced by Apple, Amiga, and Atari 512 once led the way for M$oft to continue pushing the Windows envelope.

    When the other guy's Swiss army knife is no longer bigger and more expensive than your pen knife, your in trouble as people follow features, even if they don't use them. To do otherwise is like being a Toshiba devotee in the early nineties as the market moved from two 3.5 floppy notebooks to the first high cost and fragile color, 10mb hard drive NEC's and Compaq's. The future was right there, and either Toshiba adapted or they stayed put with BW lcd's and floppy drives because they were more "cost effective", energy efficient, and people really didn't need a hard drive in a portable computer.

    Toshiba's still with us --- will Palm be in a few years?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  14. #134  
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Dog Doc
    Since we're totally off topic here, I'll chip in: The best digital audio player, hands down, is the Rio Karma. It's been out for years, and still has not been surpassed in usability. Unfortunately Rio is no more, and the Karma is no longer being produced. I just picked up 2 on ebay though, for fear that mine will die and having no desire for an ipod or any of the other current offerings.

    There is an active user base at Riovolution.com.
    Yeah, I can't find Rio anywhere and someone else recommended one. Apple might have had something to do with that. Unfortunately if something becomes too popular, it may knock others out of the running. But now the iPod love affair is being challenged, thank goodness. Not that I hate iPod, but I wanted to see what else was out there.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  15. #135  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Perry and Ninodelsol:

    Absolutely agree. I'm so tired of hearing (from Palm as well as others) "It's a phone first." Not for me. I use the PDA and email functions a lot more than the phone. I probably spend more time using Blazer than I do the phone, too.

    I had a Palm pda long before I had a cell phone, and the only reason I use a treo instead of a regular pda and cell phone (connected by bluetooth) is because I hate carrying two devices.
    Well, whether you guys like it or not, the Treo is a phone before it's a PDA. Sorry.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
  16. #136  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Yeah, I can't find Rio anywhere and someone else recommended one. Apple might have had something to do with that. Unfortunately if something becomes too popular, it may knock others out of the running. But now the iPod love affair is being challenged, thank goodness. Not that I hate iPod, but I wanted to see what else was out there.
    I'm a big Rio fan myself. Their MP3 players are fantastic, and are always critically acclaimed(as if that matters). I own the Karma, although I haven't used it in quite a while because of the Rio Carbon, which is more pod-like than the iPod. I've been hoping for a Karma 2 for a long time now, but I guess that isn't going to happen
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
  17. #137  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Former 800 pound gorillas no longer with us:

    CP/M
    Osborne
    DOS
    DEC
    Data General
    Wordstar
    Wordperfect (actually on a respirator)
    Ashton Tate (dBase; Framework)
    OS2
    GriD
    PS/2
    Newton

    These are only a handful of industry leaders that failed to "keep up with the Joneses" and lost their 800 pound gorilla status. Clearly, Palm is evolving from a PDA to communications company, and branching out into WM5 shows they have the capacity to understand the market is shifting under their feet. However, what you see as "feature-itis, or feature creep" is the leading edge of the industry, just like the graphical interface introduced by Apple, Amiga, and Atari 512 once led the way for M$oft to continue pushing the Windows envelope.

    When the other guy's Swiss army knife is no longer bigger and more expensive than your pen knife, your in trouble as people follow features, even if they don't use them. To do otherwise is like being a Toshiba devotee in the early nineties as the market moved from two 3.5 floppy notebooks to the first high cost and fragile color, 10mb hard drive NEC's and Compaq's. The future was right there, and either Toshiba adapted or they stayed put with BW lcd's and floppy drives because they were more "cost effective", energy efficient, and people really didn't need a hard drive in a portable computer.

    Toshiba's still with us --- will Palm be in a few years?

    Well, anything's possible. I must say though, I think Palm is in a different league than the companies you listed. Palm IS a household name, after all(Palm Pilot, anyone?). If Palm goes the way of the dinosaur than so be it. I doubt that's going to happen because of them not including wi-fi, however( ).
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
  18. #138  
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    Well, whether you guys like it or not, the Treo is a phone before it's a PDA. Sorry.

    Hi ShannonElements!

    That's the beauty of a Treo! It's whatever a person wants it to be. Just as there is no one perfect device for everone -- but for each person, a perfect device . . . . . . .the same holds for within Treo users, some of us came frome the PDA side, others from the phone side. The Treo is whatever you use it for -- each person's usage is different. I would say my usage is in this order:

    PDA
    EMail
    Web
    Phone
    iPod
    Camera (but don't take this out!)


    I want the Treo to advance in it's capabilities for everyone, but I just do not want the "PDA" aspect to be forgotten in the process.

    Cheers, Perry.
  19. #139  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Hi ShannonElements!

    That's the beauty of a Treo! It's whatever a person wants it to be. Just as there is no one perfect device for everone -- but for each person, a perfect device . . . . . . .the same holds for within Treo users, some of us came frome the PDA side, others from the phone side. The Treo is whatever you use it for -- each person's usage is different. I would say my usage is in this order:

    PDA
    EMail
    Web
    Phone
    iPod
    Camera (but don't take this out!)


    I want the Treo to advance in it's capabilities for everyone, but I just do not want the "PDA" aspect to be forgotten in the process.

    Cheers, Perry.

    I agree with you completely Perry. I use my the phone far less than I use the some of the other features of my Treo. That doesn't change the fact, however, that Palm designed the Treo ground up to be a phone that took advantage of their PDA expertise. You think it's a coincidence that it looks much more like a typical cell phone than it's phone/PDA hybrid competition?
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
  20. #140  
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    Well, anything's possible. I must say though, I think Palm is in a different league than the companies you listed. Palm IS a household name, after all(Palm Pilot, anyone?). If Palm goes the way of the dinosaur than so be it. I doubt that's going to happen because of them not including wi-fi, however( ).
    Many of those were household (or business world) names in their time. I don't think it is just WiFi that has Palm in the ditch. Take their memory management (please) - without third party utilities to store and launch programs from the SD card, 32mb gets real tight real quick. What about a real file system - I know it's childish, but it is much easier to find and manipulate files in WM5 than POS. Versamail, in my experience, never wirelessly syncs with Exchange Server correctly two times in a row; and even when it does sync, it messes up the calendar and may or may not pick up all you're email. Bluetooth headsets are a headache on the 650. And how many times can you go through a typical day without you or the person on the other end of the conversation repeatedly asking "What did you say?" Had any random resets this week?

    Don't get me wrong, the Treo 650 (and its predecessor 600) were ground breaking devices in their time. However, so many players are now in the game (converged devices, whether you cal them PDA phones or smartphones), and Palm is no longer a leader but a follower. I want them to succeed (we would have NEVER left Windows 98 without Apple), but they can't do that with a second rate feature set, asking for prices that are above their more feature rich competitors.

    That's the way of the dinosaur.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions