Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Damn.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    Becareful or I will be forced to stick you with my horns LOL

We are talking about TWO totally different form factors here.
    Are they really? My 8125 is a little shorter and narrower, and a little thicker than my Treo 650, and just seems smaller without an antennae. Granted, one handed operation is not as good as a Treo, but as you and Perry have always said in many different ways, "To each their own."

By the way, those wimpy horns on that helmet are not match for real UT LONGHORNS!
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by R1_Rydah
    WM still is not as user friendly as the palm o/s... Once Billy & the boys figure out how too keep things powerful yet simple(realize it's a phone not a pc) I will definitely make the switch... I know they can do it. look at XP(rock solid) but it was a rough road getting there (ie.. 3.1/95/98/ME)
    Note that STILL with Vista on the horizon corporate america has not overwhelmingly endorsed XP. So much so that Bill reports a Win2k sale as a XP sale w/ a downgarde to Win2K to keep the stockholders happy.

While, as you noted XP is more stable than 3.1 / 95 / 98 / ME, note also that these were "home" editions of the OS that didn't have real corprate penetration. XP is a real corporate edition with a "home version" that shares the same code base and almost nobody buys. Even still XP's "uptime" doesn't come close to NT4's (MS's all time champ) and even Win2K.....Where hard stability counts, XP isn't the first thing that comes to mind. The US air traffic control system for example doesn't run on XP....they use NT4.

When MS released SP2, some corps were shut down as SP2 broke over 200 programs. Many of those that suckle at the MS Windows Update Servers were down for days.

The biggest issue with MS vesus alternatives is that MS is gonna run stuff in background whether you want it or not for its own reasons and it takes a skilled user to cut that bloated , performance robbing stuff out.

Most users won't need, care or worry about that kinda thing and that is how MS succeeds. Same way that Sony lost the tape format wars in the BetaMax versus VHS wars. BetaMAX was clearly superior but lost the battle . Power Users and those who can benefit out of squeezing every little bit of performance ouuta their hardware have always looked for a non MS alternative. Very few poeple need that extra performance, then again very few people need a Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    Don't buy a Treo then. Nobody's holding a gun to your head.
    What Perry said.

I assure you I'm not trying to force anyone to do anything (I really mean my signature). I'm just pointing out that Palm should be delivering the same value at the same price points as the competition - or they'll become the hind dog in the sled team.

Whether you want WiFi or not; whether it's high on your want list or not; if the same ODM of the Treo 650 can deliver the 8125 with WiFi and everything else, then Palm should be doing the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    I just think the WIFI thing has been beaten to death.

Can we complain about the GPS thing for a little while, just to mix it up. LOL.
    I know this was said in jest, but many Treo competitors are actually going to have built-in GPS, so Palm might want to think of getting a move on and building competitive devices. Examples include:

HP hw6900
    Mitac Mio A701
    FSC T830
    HTC Trinity
    http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/6509.html
    (Note 3 out of the 4 with have WIFI also!)

Let the complaining start!

Surur
    Hi dStrauss, LOL!

I think GFunk hit it on the head. Palm wants to do WiFi but Frankengarnet can't do it. Hence the quote about too many resets in the recent Q&A.

Whatever was wrong with Cobalt threw them behind the 8 Ball. We will have to wait for ALP or Palm/Linux.

The next Palm OS Treo after the 700P determines if we all end up on the dark side or not.

Cheers, Perry
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/25/2006 at 07:50 PM.
    Palm still has the best UI, IMO. MS surpassed the Palm OS long ago in terms of features, and fairly recently we've seen WM phones with thumbboards that cause us further angst. I've said it before and I'll say it again...it's not a matter of which is better (WM or Palm OS), the fact is that they both suck far more than they ought to. Just for different reasons.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    I know this was said in jest, but many Treo competitors are actually going to have built-in GPS, so Palm might want to think of getting a move on and building competitive devices. Examples include:

HP hw6900
    Mitac Mio A701
    FSC T830
    HTC Trinity
    http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/6509.html
    (Note 3 out of the 4 with have WIFI also!)

Let the complaining start!

Surur
    Thanks for the pics Surur....

GPS is actually a biggie for me, am still holding out on buying Tom Tom in hopes of a integrated solution.

What really scares me about all these PDA's surfacing is the Windows OS installed in them. Also I know there was a thread explaining why the 700w had 240+240, but I wonder why the Samsung 320 has 320+240, it's a square screen.

I will be realistic and say that YES Palm is falling behind the competition, it's no wonder they signed up with Windows. It's probably one of the reasons why head stockholders pushed for a sale.

I think if Palm released the 700P TODAY they would be in OK shape, but to release what we saw in the IRC chat room in July would really be falling behind the competition.

Personally, as sweet as some of the competition's phones are am going to still go for the 700p. After that who knows, I may go to the dark side, I may not.

Hey besides the 700p does Sprint have anything else coming down the pike from the competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Palm still has the best UI, IMO. MS surpassed the Palm OS long ago in terms of features, and fairly recently we've seen WM phones with thumbboards that cause us further angst. I've said it before and I'll say it again...it's not a matter of which is better (WM or Palm OS), the fact is that they both suck far more than they ought to. Just for different reasons.
    What a fresh perspective - he who sucks less wins.
    I'm sorry, but I for one don't understand what people who don't seem to like the Treo are doing on this site. Isn't this a site for Treo ENTHUSIASTS? Am I missing something
    Some people here are Treo owners who moved on to other devices, due to Palm's slowness in getting with the program.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    So what if EVDO isn't as extensive as I think it is? If I have to fall back on an inferior network when I'm in the boondocks, then that's fine with me. Like Rydah, wi-fi is not a deal breaker for me. Sure, it'd be nice to have, as I have pretty abundant access to wi-fi(even as I type this), but to me it's just a luxury. I have never been in a situation where wi-fi was important, EXCEPT with my laptop. I don't NEED multiple ways to connect to the net, but that's just me. I might like it from time to time, but it isn't a big deal to me. So maybe the POS can't handle a fully converged device. I DON'T CARE. I don't need a handheld device that can do everything. That's why I have my laptop. And even then my phone(we are still talking about phones aren't we) does everything I require of it and much much more.
    Wi-Fi is another standard for data connection, NOT a luxury.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    You do realize that most people are sure that the Hollywood is WM, right?

I too would love to see this on Sprint, provided it has 64MB RAM.

You are probably correct but it would nice if Palm would give a Hollywood P and a Hollywood W. They need to get their tail in gear and give us somthing to chew on. I still don't think that they will make us wait till June. I am with Perry for something in April. If a phone mfg like Motorola could release the Q with touchscreen and a Palm OS they might have a winner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Wi-Fi is another standard for data connection, NOT a luxury.
    Maybe you missed the part where I said "to me it's just a luxury"...

Wi-fi IS indeed a standard for data connections, just not in cell phones.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Hahaha...so now it's like a 'lesser of two evils' thing then?
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Some people here are Treo owners who moved on to other devices, due to Palm's slowness in getting with the program.
    Ah, I see. So basically you're an ex-enthusiast then, hoping that Palm does something to reignite that spark for you. I suppose that makes sense. At least you haven't been completely lost OK let's get back to blasting the Treo now...
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Whether you want WiFi or not; whether it's high on your want list or not; if the same ODM of the Treo 650 can deliver the 8125 with WiFi and everything else, then Palm should be doing the same.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Treo the leading smartphone on the market? I know the Blackberry has sold more total units, but if I remember correctly, that gap is shrinking every day. You don't see Apple fighting to keep the iPod's features eye for eye with its competitors. Sure, Creative added FM radios and a slew of other features to their MP3 players a long time ago, but does the iPod even have as much as a simple FM radio? Even though that's a standard in 'music connections'? Nope. Because when you're the 800 pound gorilla, you don't have to follow everyone else around. The Treo is in a similar position in it's market, in my opinion.
    That 700P better meet all your expectations. I think that it will be the last POS phone released by Palm until ALP arrives. There is just nothing more that Palm can do with FrankenGarnet, it's been streched and pulled to the limit and Palm cannot progress any further. We'll all be looking at Palm WM devices for the next year or so. IMO, Hollywood will be a WM device and I think Lowrider is as well. Hollywood will be a full fledged PDA phone while Lowrider will be the Cingular 2125 equivalent.
    Maybe you missed the part where I said "to me it's just a luxury"...

Wi-fi IS indeed a standard for data connections, just not in cell phones.
    When it comes to smart devices however, HTC(EXCEPT when they manufacter for Palm), HP and Samsung see wi-fi as a standard.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Treo the leading smartphone on the market? I know the Blackberry has sold more total units, but if I remember correctly, that gap is shrinking every day. You don't see Apple fighting to keep the iPod's features eye for eye with its competitors. Sure, Creative added FM radios and a slew of other features to their MP3 players a long time ago, but does the iPod even have as much as a simple FM radio? Even though that's a standard in 'music connections'? Nope. Because when you're the 800 pound gorilla, you don't have to follow everyone else around. The Treo is in a similar position in it's market, in my opinion.
    Not globally. And I still suspect there are more BB owners.

there are very few blackberry users outside of north america.

there does (finally) appear to be some traction in europe, but we have to see if the NTP extortion stalls that.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast