Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    I will admit though, that Skyping on my Treo would be AWESOME. I wonder if you'll be able to do that with EVDO?
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Quote Originally Posted by R1_Rydah
    If wifi is at, or near the top of your list of features in your handheld, then a Palm o/s Treo is NOT the device for you...

Personally it's @ the bottom of my features wishlist... I would appreciate it if its ever added. But its definitely not a deal breaker for me...

I'm sure...
    -more memory
    -higher res camera
    -EV-DO
    -better bluetooth(?)
    are enough to make the 700p(or whatever the name will be) a worthy sucessor to the 650...

YA!
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    I got one for you....Which model has both Touchscreen and WIFI built in? If those WIFI models had a touchscreen inside them I can only imagine what the user cost would be. Maybe besides what Gfunk mentioned about Garnet being very unstable with WIFI, maybe the cost of a touchscreen and WIFI would put the PDA in the $700 area.

I'm sure if Palm wanted to make a "everything" phone costing $1000 dollars they could. But would it make good market sense?

So please stop comparing NON touchscreen PDA's with the Treo.
    Try again my fine horned one (gee, I thought you were Odin, not Thor the thunder god)- if you had read the posting right above the one you quoted, you'd see that my Cingular 8125 has touch screen and WiFi (and 64mb ram; bluetooth; 320x240 screen; mini-SD slot; Qwerty keyboard; working voice tags; can install programs directly to SD cars
    d memory; etc.). No contract price $449; two year contract price to me from Cingular - $299.

The Sprint Apache and T-Mobile MDA both have touch screens and WiFi. I know the Samsung i730 also has touch screen and WiFi, but it is WM 2003 extended edition (Lexis-Nexis saleman demo'd it to me).

Only Palm seems to think their phones are worth $600-700 when first released (and I bought both the 600 and 650 in my time - the past that is).

Want to try for two out of three falls?
    Last edited by dstrauss; 02/25/2006 at 12:14 PM.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    If wifi is at, or near the top of your list of features in your handheld, then a Palm o/s Treo is NOT the device for you...

Personally it's @ the bottom of my features wishlist... I would appreciate it if its ever added. But its definitely not a deal breaker for me...

I'm sure...
    -more memory
    -higher res camera
    -EV-DO
    -better bluetooth(?)
    are enough to make the 700p(or whatever the name will be) a worthy sucessor to the 650...
    That's okay - I understand your poin, but my point is why do I have to spend more with Palm and get less value and features?

As an aside, I don't think higher resolution is the answer; it's the miniscule lens all these phone cameras have. If we want better pictures, they've got to start using lenses that are better than a pin-hole camera.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Because it's another CHOICE for data connection. EVDO is proprietary to the carrier, so is EDGE. Wi-fi is offered by ADDITIONAL carriers, or free.

And MANY people have SBC DSL and/or home networks! At least here in Chicago.
    Maybe they could give us the CHOICE to use our Treos to send smoke signals...now that would be TRULY innovative...
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    That's okay - I understand your poin, but my point is why do I have to spend more with Palm and get less value and features?

As an aside, I don't think higher resolution is the answer; it's the miniscule lens all these phone cameras have. If we want better pictures, they've got to start using lenses that are better than a pin-hole camera.
    I understand yours as well....

But I agree with you about the darkside, the force is strong. WM5 was close, but it still couldn't pull me over...

WM still is not as user friendly as the palm o/s... Once Billy & the boys figure out how too keep things powerful yet simple(realize it's a phone not a pc) I will definitely make the switch... I know they can do it. look at XP(rock solid) but it was a rough road getting there (ie.. 3.1/95/98/ME)

Don't buy a Treo then. Nobody's holding a gun to your head.
    I understand yours as well....

But I agree with you about the darkside, the force is strong. WM5 was close, but it still couldn't pull me over...

WM still is not as user friendly as the palm o/s... Once Billy & the boys figure out how too keep things powerful yet simple(realize it's a phone not a pc) I will definitely make the switch... I know they can do it. look at XP(rock solid) but it was a rough road getting there (ie.. 3.1/95/98/ME)
    I think something people are forgetting is that we're talking about a PHONE here...

If we were talking about a laptop, then yeah, my argument would be completely different.
    Try again my fine horned one (gee, I thought you were Odin, not Thor the thunder god)- if you had read the posting right above the one you quoted, you'd see that my Cingular 8125 has touch screen and WiFi (and 64mb ram; bluetooth; 320x240 screen; mini-SD slot; Qwerty keyboard; working voice tags; can install programs directly to SD cars
    d memory; etc.). No contract price $449; two year contract price to me from Cingular - $299.

The Sprint Apache and T-Mobile MDA both have touch screens and WiFi. I know the Samsung i730 also has touch screen and WiFi, but it is WM 2003 extended edition (Lexis-Nexis saleman demo'd it to me).

Only Palm seems to think their phones are worth $600-700 when first released (and I bought both the 600 and 650 in my time - the past that is).

Want to try for two out of three falls?
    Becareful or I will be forced to stick you with my horns LOL

We are talking about TWO totally different form factors here.
    even Sprint has now announced they're upping the ante for unlimited EVDO.

I have not seen that before. Link?
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    Don't buy a Treo then. Nobody's holding a gun to your head.
    Hi ShannonElements!!

His last purchase was NOT a Treo. dStrauss is just trying to provide a thoughtful counterpoint.

I have had PalmOS devices for 10 years. I have a great investment in Palm software and the GUI is 2nd (1st?) nature to me. So I will continue on with Palm until another device or OS shows it is far superior for my deeds, wants & desires. Right now the 650 has been my most perfect PDA over thet 10 year period (note that I did not say Smartphone).

64mb
    EV-DO
    1.3 megapixel camera
    Better Bluetooth

Will make it my most-est perfect yet.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/25/2006 at 02:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Hi last purchase was NOT a Treo. dStrauss is just trying to provide a thoughtful counterpoint.
    OK. Well, maybe the next time an Alcoholics Anonymous convention is in town I'll go down and offer them all some beer as a "thoughtful counterpoint", hahaha

I'm sorry, but I for one don't understand what people who don't seem to like the Treo are doing on this site. Isn't this a site for Treo ENTHUSIASTS? Am I missing something
    He did have a Treo, he's just visiting the dark side for awhile(PPC6700, I believe). As you can see under his avatar --he's been around since '99 -- so it's not like he's a noob --- and he does have much Palm experience and knowledge to offer.. . . . . .

Once, in college, my roomates and I "discussed" the definition of "up" for a whole evening. It was quite a lively debate. One camp said it was the opposite direction of gravity -- the other camp said it was an certain direction out from a reference point. (i.e, out in space: "Up above his head.") Neither camp would give in. Such is life.

Cheers, Perry
    I just think the WIFI thing has been beaten to death.

Can we complain about the GPS thing for a little while, just to mix it up. LOL.
    Damn Palm for no GPS...............damn, damn,damn...........................

p.s. - no wi-fi stinks too

In reality, I like the SD wi-fi card for the 700w, I'd love 2 SD slots in the next Treo offering. So many possibilities.............
    Somebody....anybody........................Don't let Dr. Doom spill his Kool-Aid on his brand new "perrywinkle" sweater vest!!!
    OK. Well, maybe the next time an Alcoholics Anonymous convention is in town I'll go down and offer them all some beer as a "thoughtful counterpoint", hahaha

I'm sorry, but I for one don't understand what people who don't seem to like the Treo are doing on this site. Isn't this a site for Treo ENTHUSIASTS? Am I missing something
    Quite the contrary - a lot of the people voicing their opinions actually LOVE the Treo and just want it to keep advancing to keep up with the competition from other manufacturers, that's all. And as far as being "just a phone", many of those who've been Palm users for years (pre-Treo) actually saw the evolution from PDA to PDA+phone, which is the Treo's lineage. Lots of people actually use it as a PDA mainly and the phone is somewhat secondary (but they're happy to have one multi-function device nonetheless.)

Most of us here are looking after the Treo's best interests.
    Quote Originally Posted by ninodelsol
    And as far as being "just a phone", many of those who've been Palm users for years (pre-Treo) actually saw the evolution from PDA to PDA+phone, which is the Treo's lineage.

snip

Most of us here are looking after the Treo's best interests.

Who? Me?
    Don't get it twisted - the Treo is a phone before it's a PDA.

I'm glad to see that so many people are looking out for the Treo rather than hating on it...because without you pointing that out to me, I would've assumed the latter.
    Don't get it twisted - the Treo is a phone before it's a PDA.

I'm glad to see that so many people are looking out for the Treo rather than hating on it...because without you pointing that out to me, I would've assumed the latter.
    Hi ShannonElements!

I know for most -- it's a phone first and PDA 2nd.

For me it's a PDA with live email and Web and Oh, ya, it's got this phone thingie in it. My time with the T3 and a phone hanging from my belt was short lived. I rebel against calling the Treo a smartphone, for me -- the Treo is a full fledged PDA and phone combined. If Handspring had not led the way -- the 'smartphone' market would still be evolving towards the ultimate smartphone.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/25/2006 at 04:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    I just think the WIFI thing has been beaten to death.

Can we complain about the GPS thing for a little while, just to mix it up. LOL.
    Viking... Since you been so quiet I have just e-mailed palm and asked them to send you the 700m (monster) from http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...2&page=2&pp=20

The Treo 666 monicker was dropped due to pressure from Rush Limbaugh....he couldn't call his pill pusher w/ a phone from the devil.

Only a month from this coming Wednesday ! MARK YOUR CALENDAR !
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast