Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 157
  1. #61  
    Why don't you guys just go buy the wifi sled? It's cheaper than a wifi card and you can free up the sd slot.

    Oh right, becuase wifi is not worth the extra $100 dollars.
  2. #62  
    Logitech mice now have a slip in rechargeable battery just a bit larger than a postage stamp....be nice if ya could have a spot under / over the Treo battery to plop in a "radio module"...pick ya module .... cingular , Sprint, Verizon, WiFi and make it damn nice and easy to change carriers when contract expires too and would save manufacturing costs. And peeps wouldn't ahve to pay for what they ahve no intention of using.

    I can see instances where WiFi would more useful than broadband wireless ..... university setting, large corporate site setting , especially now where there's free wifi (our cable provider provides free wifi service at ferry terminals and on ferries)....our entire county (covering 3/4 of Long Island) is bulding free WiFi network with goal of 100% coverage.

    http://www.newsday.com/news/local/lo...main-tabheads1

    Philadelphia is building 135 square mile network also.
  3. ash1348's Avatar
    Posts
    89 Posts
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    #63  
    "The cheap international calls with Skype is what I'd be looking for too. "
    That is exactly why we would not see a Treo with a built-in WiFi anytime soon. If you could use skype through your Treo, you would'nt use your minutes and Sprint would get lower revenues out of their Treo users. Sprint doesn't like this at all (would you like it if you would have been running the company?), and they are the one who would dictate PALM to not include Wifi in their Sprint Treo. They are going to fight over not including Wifi in next generation Treos as far as they can.
  4. #64  
    FYI, Palm execs were asked in the latest webcasts about wifi support in the Treo, and one of the reasons why they stated they did not include it was b/c of "reset problems". I maintain that this is a prime example of how limited and problematic the current incarnation of FrankenGarnet is. Palm most likely would want to make the implementation as seamless and bug free as possbile. They would also like to enable seamless wireless switching between radios like on other triwireless devices like the 6700 etc. However, the is NOT possbile (or extremely difficult) to accomplish on FrankenGarnet b/c of limits in multitasking and etc. And since it is highly unlikely Palm will ever release Treo based on the failed Cobalt OS, we will all have to wait and hold our breath that ALP succeeds to finally see a wifi enabled Treo imo...
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  5. #65  
    I wasn't sure if I'd use wifi either (i did have a 6700 for a bit and it was a nice feature. I just couldn't get into WM or PIE)

    But then I picked up a LifeDrive and I LOVE wifi with a palm. Even Blazer is an enjoyable experience.
    <a href="http://www.wapswap.com/">
    <img src="http://wapswap.com/blog/images/logo_only.jpg" border="0"></a>
    built for easy acess
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    I'd rather have a platform that's stable featuring the same old features than one that's moving forward and less stable. That's just me though.
    I have not had any serious problems with WM5 crashing or reseting. However, I didn't on the 650 either. But I'm still not buying a 700 that is too close to the 650 in features.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    Fair enough. Here's why I DON'T care about wi-fi:

    1. Far less reliable than EVDO or HDSPA in most circumstances.

    2. If you don't have home/office networks, it isn't extremely handy.

    3. Fear of excessive battery drain.

    4. Many good hot spots for $1.99 month for the 5 of you out there who already have SBC/Cingular DSL.

    5. OK...I can't argue with that one

    It just seems silly to me, and kinda redundant to have wi-fi AND EVDO on one device. Sure, Skype is nice, but that isn't enough.
    Because it's another CHOICE for data connection. EVDO is proprietary to the carrier, so is EDGE. Wi-fi is offered by ADDITIONAL carriers, or free.

    And MANY people have SBC DSL and/or home networks! At least here in Chicago.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Why don't you guys just go buy the wifi sled? It's cheaper than a wifi card and you can free up the sd slot.

    Oh right, becuase wifi is not worth the extra $100 dollars.
    I have a better idea. Why don't we just go ahead and buy devices that include wi-fi already built-in if we really want it, instead of waiting for the Treo? Raises hand.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I have a better idea. Why don't we just go ahead and buy devices that include wi-fi already built-in if we really want it, instead of waiting for the Treo? Raises hand.
    That's what most people would do. You are not using a Treo now and still cry about it.
  10. #70  
    Because I'd like to return to the Treo, but can't justify it any longer with phones coming out that exceed the Treo's features. So I'm forced to move on. The 650 is still so cool though!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    That's what most people would do. You are not using a Treo now and still cry about it.
    lol
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by ash1348
    "The cheap international calls with Skype is what I'd be looking for too. "
    That is exactly why we would not see a Treo with a built-in WiFi anytime soon. If you could use skype through your Treo, you would'nt use your minutes and Sprint would get lower revenues out of their Treo users. Sprint doesn't like this at all (would you like it if you would have been running the company?), and they are the one who would dictate PALM to not include Wifi in their Sprint Treo. They are going to fight over not including Wifi in next generation Treos as far as they can.
    So why, pray-tell, does Sprint offer the 6700 and Samsung i730 (think that's the model number) with WiFi?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Why don't you guys just go buy the wifi sled? It's cheaper than a wifi card and you can free up the sd slot.

    Oh right, becuase wifi is not worth the extra $100 dollars.
    Great, now we get to have Igor's HUMP to go with Frankengarnet. Isn't that special. Particularly when there are integrated solutions out there.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    Fair enough. Here's why I DON'T care about wi-fi:

    1. Far less reliable than EVDO or HDSPA in most circumstances.

    2. If you don't have home/office networks, it isn't extremely handy.

    3. Fear of excessive battery drain.

    4. Many good hot spots for $1.99 month for the 5 of you out there who already have SBC/Cingular DSL.

    5. OK...I can't argue with that one

    It just seems silly to me, and kinda redundant to have wi-fi AND EVDO on one device. Sure, Skype is nice, but that isn't enough.
    It's not silly, nor redundant, when you consider that EVDO is NOT as extensive as you imagine. Second, even Sprint has now announced they're upping the ante for unlimited EVDO, so another $35-50 per month for a data connection seems a bit extreme to me.

    If you mean WiFi is far less reliable because you may not find a hot spot, I'll grant you that, but as a data technology, no way. There are many of us that have either or both an office and home network (and yes, a few more than five with SBC DSL - out on the left coast PacBell, a part of the SBC family, has a big presence, as does SBC here in the SW).

    The bottom line is that POS cannot handle a fully converged device, while HTC can deliver to Cingular and Sprint phones that blend all three radios for the same price, or lower, than Palm does.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    I'm not to sure about that, none of those models have touchscreen which if it's a choice between WIFI and touchscreen well, touchscreen wins.

    When those manufactures put a expensive touchscreen in there phones AND WIFI for the same price then we might talk.
    Odin -

    The HTC models (Apache on Sprint, Cingular 8125, and T-Mobile MDA) all have great touch screens. One of the Samsung models (i730?) and the HP 6515 do as well, but they are enhanced WM 2003 editions, I think.

    I agree, I love touch screens on a PDA, and that's the ONLY reason my Cingular 2125 is sitting in my desk drawer, waiting for eBay heaven. It's a great device, but T9 is for the birds. I could even survive without a QERTY keyboard (can't believe I just said that) if I had a touch screen for calligrapher or the fitaly keyboard.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  16. #76  
    FINAL THOUGHT FOR ALL:

    If adding WiFi really cost more, or if carriers (other than Verizon) permitted no other WiFi enabled cell phones, then all of you would have legitimate points of one kind or another.

    BUT NEITHER CONDITION IS TRUE. Cingular, Sprint, and T-Mobile all offer WiFi enabled smartphones at, or below, the cost of Treo 650/700p. Palm has simply been lapped by the others.

    Face facts -

    1. Palm never delivered on SD WiFi for the 600 or 650;

    2. the only working WM5 device they have is on Verizon, the king of stomping on low cost data, and even then, a WiFi SD card will work on the unit (although who wants something ELSE sticking out of their phone replacing their 2gb SD card?);

    3. do you have to use third party memory managers or desktop launchers on WM to load and run programs from your memory card?

    4. is ANYONE but Palm still making POS devices?

    5. WM5 devices, with ALL of the hot features (including WiFi and EVDO on Sprint) cost the same or less than Treos.

    I admire your courage to fight the good fight against the M$oft storm troopers, because I for one wimped out to the dark side, but don't pretend that logic and reason are on your side. Maybe ALPO will replace POS next year, but it will be too late to save their bacon. My bet is on a WM5 Hollywood as their real ace in the hole, but even it may be too little too late.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  17. #77  
    If wifi is at, or near the top of your list of features in your handheld, then a Palm o/s Treo is NOT the device for you...

    Personally it's @ the bottom of my features wishlist... I would appreciate it if its ever added. But its definitely not a deal breaker for me...

    I'm sure...
    -more memory
    -higher res camera
    -EV-DO
    -better bluetooth(?)
    are enough to make the 700p(or whatever the name will be) a worthy sucessor to the 650...
    HTC Touch Pro
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    FINAL THOUGHT FOR ALL:

    If adding WiFi really cost more, or if carriers (other than Verizon) permitted no other WiFi enabled cell phones, then all of you would have legitimate points of one kind or another.

    BUT NEITHER CONDITION IS TRUE. Cingular, Sprint, and T-Mobile all offer WiFi enabled smartphones at, or below, the cost of Treo 650/700p. Palm has simply been lapped by the others.

    Face facts -

    1. Palm never delivered on SD WiFi for the 600 or 650;

    2. the only working WM5 device they have is on Verizon, the king of stomping on low cost data, and even then, a WiFi SD card will work on the unit (although who wants something ELSE sticking out of their phone replacing their 2gb SD card?);

    3. do you have to use third party memory managers or desktop launchers on WM to load and run programs from your memory card?

    4. is ANYONE but Palm still making POS devices?

    5. WM5 devices, with ALL of the hot features (including WiFi and EVDO on Sprint) cost the same or less than Treos.

    I admire your courage to fight the good fight against the M$oft storm troopers, because I for one wimped out to the dark side, but don't pretend that logic and reason are on your side. Maybe ALPO will replace POS next year, but it will be too late to save their bacon. My bet is on a WM5 Hollywood as their real ace in the hole, but even it may be too little too late.

    I got one for you....Which model has both Touchscreen and WIFI built in? If those WIFI models had a touchscreen inside them I can only imagine what the user cost would be. Maybe besides what Gfunk mentioned about Garnet being very unstable with WIFI, maybe the cost of a touchscreen and WIFI would put the PDA in the $700 area.

    I'm sure if Palm wanted to make a "everything" phone costing $1000 dollars they could. But would it make good market sense?


    So please stop comparing NON touchscreen PDA's with the Treo.
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    It's not silly, nor redundant, when you consider that EVDO is NOT as extensive as you imagine. Second, even Sprint has now announced they're upping the ante for unlimited EVDO, so another $35-50 per month for a data connection seems a bit extreme to me.

    If you mean WiFi is far less reliable because you may not find a hot spot, I'll grant you that, but as a data technology, no way. There are many of us that have either or both an office and home network (and yes, a few more than five with SBC DSL - out on the left coast PacBell, a part of the SBC family, has a big presence, as does SBC here in the SW).

    The bottom line is that POS cannot handle a fully converged device, while HTC can deliver to Cingular and Sprint phones that blend all three radios for the same price, or lower, than Palm does.
    So what if EVDO isn't as extensive as I think it is? If I have to fall back on an inferior network when I'm in the boondocks, then that's fine with me. Like Rydah, wi-fi is not a deal breaker for me. Sure, it'd be nice to have, as I have pretty abundant access to wi-fi(even as I type this), but to me it's just a luxury. I have never been in a situation where wi-fi was important, EXCEPT with my laptop. I don't NEED multiple ways to connect to the net, but that's just me. I might like it from time to time, but it isn't a big deal to me. So maybe the POS can't handle a fully converged device. I DON'T CARE. I don't need a handheld device that can do everything. That's why I have my laptop. And even then my phone(we are still talking about phones aren't we) does everything I require of it and much much more.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    I got one for you....Which model has both Touchscreen and WIFI built in? If those WIFI models had a touchscreen inside them I can only imagine what the user cost would be. Maybe besides what Gfunk mentioned about Garnet being very unstable with WIFI, maybe the cost of a touchscreen and WIFI would put the PDA in the $700 area.

    I'm sure if Palm wanted to make a "everything" phone costing $1000 dollars they could. But would it make good market sense?


    So please stop comparing NON touchscreen PDA's with the Treo.
    I think what Gfunk said is just propaganda(on Palm's part of course). If that was the case, then wouldn't the wi-fi sled crash the Treo continuously too?
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions