Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Personally, I don't give a damn about wi-fi.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I am already using it basically, but wanted to give Palm a chance to remedy the situation. I wish I could, but the WM5 phone world is moving ahead while Palm is staying on the same place with their features. I'm not paying another $500 for features similar to the 650.
    I'd rather have a platform that's stable featuring the same old features than one that's moving forward and less stable. That's just me though.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements

Actually, either do I, but I am for it being an SD card option for those that want it.

My philosophy on the Treo is -- give me the capable base unit -- and then let us geeks add what we want to turn it into our own special device:

Want an iPod? Add $150 dollar headphones and a 4GB SD card. . . . .

Want WiFi? Add the card. . . .

Want a Video Player? Get the SD card and appropriate software.

Want GPS? Get the hardware and software. . . .

Want HandMark Express? Buy it.

Just don't jack up the price to $1000 by putting it all in the box so I don't have a choice.

Cheers, Perry.

Apologies to those that feel WiFi should be part of that "capable base unit."
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Actually, either do I, but I am for it being an SD card option for those that want it.

My philosophy on the Treo is -- give me the capable base unit -- and then let us geeks add what we want to turn it into our own special device:

Want an iPod? Add $150 dollar headphones and a 4GB SD card. . . . .

Want WiFi? Add the card. . . .

Want a Video Player? Get the SD card and appropriate software.

Want GPS? Get the hardware and software. . . .

Want HandMark Express? Buy it.

Just don't jack up the price to $1000 by putting it all in the box so I don't have a choice.

Cheers, Perry.

Apologies to those that feel WiFi should be part of that "capable base device."
    I agree completely. And with built-in evdo support, wi-fi's almost redundant. Part of the fun of the Treo experience is building your device up from what it was when you first bought it
    Perry, you took the words out of my mouth. I really don't see why the carriers should be concerned about Wi-Fi. We're a long ways off from having widespread Wi-Fi coverage, so users would still subscribe to the $15+ data plans. And if you're in a Wi-Fi zone and don't use the carrier's network, that's even better for them because you're still paying for it but not clogging it.

Carriers want to sell us more stuff and recurring revenue services is a biggie for them. So are one-shot low-cost purchases like ringtones and apps. This is what we need to be concerned about. Phones can offer Wi-Fi and still be locked down to prevent loading unauthorized filles/apps/MP3s. The two are independent.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Perry that post earned you a one day pass from the PPR. Enjoy.

Let's see, wifi with no touchscreen, or no wifi with touchscreen. Costs don't allow for both. If someone was giving away the wifi hardware for free am sure they would install it, but there not.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    Perry that post earned you a one day pass from the PPR. Enjoy.

Let's see, wifi with no touchscreen, or no wifi with touchscreen. Costs don't allow for both. If someone was giving away the wifi hardware for free am sure they would install it, but there not.

But if I run around in the courtyard, I will get my slippers dirty. (I'm starting to like my PPR. What's that bright yellow thing in the sky? Why am I here? May I have applesauce today? What's that thing over in the corner on the floor? It fits in my hand and has buttons and a screen that lights up sometimes. Will it hurt if I touch the flashing golden bell?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lawrence.c.lee
    i made the jump a couple of days ago. i couldn't wait anymore

but guess what? i actually am loving it. i feel guilty for saying that.

Why? If it works for you -- you shoulddo it! There is no one perfect PDA for everyone -- but for each one -- there is a perfect PDA. I hope everyone finds their "perfect" device, whatever flavor it may be!

Cheers, Perry.
    As always, a voice of reason in the wilderness (although, I must admit that like Lawrence, I too feel guilty for tasting of the pleasures of the dark side).

I hope the 700p turns out to be all you dreamed of, and meets yours, and other Palm supporters, needs to the max. However, I'm surprised how much Windows Mobile has matured, and I'm betting it won't be long before the Palm 700w "enhancements" find their way into the base OS, or are duplicated by the registry hacking/programming community for WM5.

Since they've already conquered multi-radio phones (up to, and including, bluetooth/wifi/EDGE/UTMS or other true 3g standard, they can now concentrate on bringing it home in ever smaller packages (witness the Samsung i320 and i-mate flip phone). My bet is we'll have full WM5 power in a Razr or smaller package before Palm releases and integrated WiFi Treo.

In fact, the Samsung i320 should be the scariest of all for Palm. It has all of the features of the rumored Hollywood, but even thinner than the Moto Q. 2006 is going to be a very interesting year - In the immortal words of Betty Davis: "Fasten your seat belts, its going to be a bumpy night."
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I am already using it basically, but wanted to give Palm a chance to remedy the situation. I wish I could, but the WM5 phone world is moving ahead while Palm is staying on the same place with their features. I'm not paying another $500 for features similar to the 650.
    I agree totally. But then again, there is that 240 X 240 screen thing.....
    Initially I didnt' care about wifi either, but after using skype on my Axim and desktop for while to make cheap international calls, I have to change my mind. I don't know the feasibilty of using 1xevdo to make VoIP calls, but the ability to make the Treo into a full fledged VoIP phone via software client like Skype etc is just tooo delicious not to ignore! The main feature however which would be critical imo would be seamless wireless switchign between wifi/1xEvdo etc which I believe WM05 devices can do, but palmOS FrankenGarnet cannot due to multitasking limitations. For this reason, I doubt we will see a wifi enabled Treo until (if ever) a ALP (Acees Linux Product), formerly Palm linux, is released for true multitasking support...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 02/24/2006 at 05:55 PM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    I could not agree more! I do not understand why everyone gets their panties in a bunch about Wifi. All I want is a Treo running WM5 on GSM ( Cingular ). I had an 8125 running WM5 and LOVED it! The integration with Outlook in regards to e-mail, contacts and calendar was seamless. In the end it was a form factor issue that has me returning the 8125 since the one handed operation of the Treo is tooooooo much to give up.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    ....I doubt we will see a wifi enabled Treo until (if ever) a ALP (Acees Linux Product), formerly Palm linux, is released for true multitasking support...
    I agree, and I can't get over truth is funnier than fiction, we've all been (and will continue to wait) on the replacement of:

POS by ALPO....
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    In fact, the Samsung i320 should be the scariest of all for Palm. It has all of the features of the rumored Hollywood, but even thinner than the Moto Q. 2006 is going to be a very interesting year - In the immortal words of Betty Davis: "Fasten your seat belts, its going to be a bumpy night."
    We'll need to see if they offer an alternate Triband (850/1800/1900 instead of 900/1800/1900) or quad band for NA users. And where is HSDPA ?320 x 240 is better than the 240 x 240 but the "Windows Immobilize Me" 5.0 and ActivelySticks still give some pause. Then again there are some programs like CAD viewers and scientific / engineering programs that are available for the WM5 platform that no one ever bothered to write for Palm since their OS has been dead in the water for so long. But, hey, air traffic controllers are still rolling out the upgarde to NT4

The built in GPS of the LooX and UTMS will make other models more attractive to many, but with so many peeps getting press with all these new goodies, Palm is certainly losing "mindshare".
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Let me just say, palm is NOT going to have wifi in this 700p built in that we know of. I seriously doubt they would add it either after a few test models have not had it, nor the 700w.

Palm has in the past released a 600 and a 650 model saying they would be capable of third party sdio devices... They never have worked with wifi.

Would you really trust that if they came out with a 700 and said that it would work?
    If they provided a card that said it was guarenteed like they did with the 700w, then yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Initially I didnt' care about wifi either, but after using skype on my Axim and desktop for while to make cheap international calls, I have to change my mind. I don't know the feasibilty of using 1xevdo to make VoIP calls, but the ability to make the Treo into a full fledged VoIP phone via software client like Skype etc is just tooo delicious not to ingnore! The main feature however which would be critical imo would be seamless wireless switchign between wifi/1xEvdo etc which I believe WM05 devices can do, but palmOS FrankenGarnet cannot due to multitasking limitations. For this reason, I doubt we will see a wifi enabled Treo until (if ever) a ALP (Acees Linux Product), formerly Palm linux, is released for true multitasking support...
    The cheap international calls with Skype is what I'd be looking for too. Slingbox in a foreign country to catch up with local sports and shows would be great as well. Using the Treo as a networked walkman would also be great as well. Evdo isn't available everywhere either. There are many possibilites with wifi that don't present itself with EVDO.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    We'll need to see if they offer an alternate Triband (850/1800/1900 instead of 900/1800/1900) or quad band for NA users. And where is HSDPA ?320 x 240 is better than the 240 x 240 but the "Windows Immobilize Me" 5.0 and ActivelySticks still give some pause. Then again there are some programs like CAD viewers and scientific / engineering programs that are available for the WM5 platform that no one ever bothered to write for Palm since their OS has been dead in the water for so long. But, hey, air traffic controllers are still rolling out the upgarde to NT4

The built in GPS of the LooX and UTMS will make other models more attractive to many, but with so many peeps getting press with all these new goodies, Palm is certainly losing "mindshare".
    Yes, mindshare is slipping away quickly for Palm.

I guess I'm just lucky, WM5 and Activesync have worked great with both the 8125 and teh 2125 I was using since December. Actually, much BETTER syncing than I was getting with my Treo 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    I could not agree more! I do not understand why everyone gets their panties in a bunch about Wifi. All I want is a Treo running WM5 on GSM ( Cingular ). I had an 8125 running WM5 and LOVED it! The integration with Outlook in regards to e-mail, contacts and calendar was seamless. In the end it was a form factor issue that has me returning the 8125 since the one handed operation of the Treo is tooooooo much to give up.
    The reason people get their knickers in a knot about WiFi - it's:

1. Far superior to even EVDO or HSDPA in most circumstances

2. If you have home/office wireless networks, it's extremely handy

3. No fear of excessive data use

4. Many good hot spots for $1.99 month if you already have SBC/Cingular DSL

5. AND EVERYONE BUT PALM seems to be able to do it.

I'm also tired of the rants of "Why should I pay for it if I don't use it?" since Cingular can deliver an 8125 WITH WIFI on the same subsidized 2 year contract FOR LESS than they offered the POS Treo 650 when it came out. There's just no excuse for not making a device useful to everyone. Besides, the antennae is bad enough (thank you HTC for ditching it on the 8125) without ANOTHER 1/2-3/4 inch sticking out the top of a Treo (also crimps memory and storage when you have to switch SD cards).

Three years ago, the Treo 600 was one of a kind - now the 650 is an also ran, and the rumored specs on both the 700p and Hollywood are ALREADY behind the state of the art from HTC, HP, Samsung, and Moto.
    The reason people get their knickers in a knot about WiFi - it's:

1. Far superior to even EVDO or HSDPA in most circumstances

2. If you have home/office wireless networks, it's extremely handy

3. No fear of excessive data use

4. Many good hot spots for $1.99 month if you already have SBC/Cingular DSL

5. AND EVERYONE BUT PALM seems to be able to do it.

I'm also tired of the rants of "Why should I pay for it if I don't use it?" since Cingular can deliver an 8125 WITH WIFI on the same subsidized 2 year contract FOR LESS than they offered the POS Treo 650 when it came out. There's just no excuse for not making a device useful to everyone. Besides, the antennae is bad enough (thank you HTC for ditching it on the 8125) without ANOTHER 1/2-3/4 inch sticking out the top of a Treo (also crimps memory and storage when you have to switch SD cards).

Three years ago, the Treo 600 was one of a kind - now the 650 is an also ran, and the rumored specs on both the 700p and Hollywood are ALREADY behind the state of the art from HTC, HP, Samsung, and Moto.

Fair enough. Here's why I DON'T care about wi-fi:

1. Far less reliable than EVDO or HDSPA in most circumstances.

2. If you don't have home/office networks, it isn't extremely handy.

3. Fear of excessive battery drain.

4. Many good hot spots for $1.99 month for the 5 of you out there who already have SBC/Cingular DSL.

5. OK...I can't argue with that one

It just seems silly to me, and kinda redundant to have wi-fi AND EVDO on one device. Sure, Skype is nice, but that isn't enough.

I'm not to sure about that, none of those models have touchscreen which if it's a choice between WIFI and touchscreen well, touchscreen wins.

When those manufactures put a expensive touchscreen in there phones AND WIFI for the same price then we might talk.
    "the 650 is an also ran"

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast