View Poll Results: Is the Treo becoming the iPod of the business community?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

33 67.35%
  • No

16 32.65%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Here are some similarities to consider

Ipod - a must have gadget for the young and hip
    Treo - a must have gadget for the business person

The flavors
    - iPod Video, iPod Nano, iPod Shuffle
    -Treo 700, Treo Hollywood, Treo Lowrider

The accesory economy
    ipod = Macally, griffin etc
    Treo = Seidio, Inno Pocket etc

The passionate communties:
    ipod = ilounge.com
    treo = treocentral.com, mytreo.net, everything treo
    No, but I wouldn't argue that it's the iPod of smartphones.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    I would say yes. But, Crackberry is a viable alternative that's widely accepted. The Ipod doesnt have that one main competitor.

All of the people I know, see the Treo as their Ipod. Must have, #1 gadget of the businessman.
    You have to be young and hip to own an iPod?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    come now. your avatar doesn't exactly make you look like an old lady. :-)
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Thanks! I'm lucky enough to have a younger face, but I no longer fit into what is usually considered the "young" demographics.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I new I was going to catch flak for this since the ipod is using accross many generations. I just did not know how else to describe the user base.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Yeah, and I suppose you also have to be an older business person to own a Treo...
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Quote Originally Posted by tj8212
    I new I was going to catch flak for this since the ipod is using accross many generations. I just did not know how else to describe the user base.
    Well, anytime you deal in stereotypes you're going to catch some flak. Personally I just think people are a little to sensitive sometimes. I'm 25, and a military member, and my Treo 650 is BY FAR the most useful device I've ever owned.
  10.    #10  
    Actually am only 26 . I guess may be we can make everyone happy by saying the ipod makes you young and hip.
    My Treo IS my iPod. I even have an iPod skin. So I can't be young and hip without an iPod? Damn...
    Gadget of choice: Treo 650 (soon to migrate to 700P)
    Music of Choice: An eclectic collection of 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s suburban white boy music and the current "New Country."
    2GB SD card filled, soon to be a 4GB SD card with the 700P.

My 15 year old daughter (see avatar) has the iPod.
    My 13 year old wants the 650. The Zire 71 is her current iPod.

Cheers, Perry
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/23/2006 at 07:05 AM.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    No. Not even close. The huge difference in market share invalidates this comparison. Get back to me if/when the BlackBerry becomes extinct.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01
    come now. your avatar doesn't exactly make you look like an old lady. :-)
    Yeah, like she's the person in her avatar...
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    Yeah, like she's the person in her avatar...
    What? You mean you don't think I look like my avatar?

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Well, I just assumed you had a baby face...
    What is interesting is the common experience and parlance of the Treo user: I was sitting in the airport in Chicago th eother day and overheard a Treo user complaining to what I guess was his secretary that twice that day he had a reset on an incoming call.. Seems resets are an expected, annoying and unavoidable aspect of the Treo's penetrance into common use.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by kvcobra
    No. Not even close. The huge difference in market share invalidates this comparison. Get back to me if/when the BlackBerry becomes extinct.
    This is why I said "becoming". Also, The Treo market reach will never be as much as that of the ipod, so it can never sell anywhere close. So think in terms of their contexts, how they dominate therir competitors, how they have a passionate following and how the accessoriy community are huge,
    Sorry, but Blackberry is the "iPod" of the business community. Absolutely hands down.

Treo is the "iPod" of the prosumer group who want a great smartphone.

Many, many corporate networks only allow Blackberries to connect to corporate email systems, which is why I am waiting on the edge of my seat for BB Connect to come out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasmeister
    What is interesting is the common experience and parlance of the Treo user: I was sitting in the airport in Chicago th eother day and overheard a Treo user complaining to what I guess was his secretary that twice that day he had a reset on an incoming call.. Seems resets are an expected, annoying and unavoidable aspect of the Treo's penetrance into common use.
    Your disdain for the Treo is so thick it can be cut with a spork...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast