View Poll Results: Is the Treo becoming the iPod of the business community?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

33 67.35%
  • No

16 32.65%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    Well, anytime you deal in stereotypes you're going to catch some flak. Personally I just think people are a little to sensitive sometimes. I'm 25, and a military member, and my Treo 650 is BY FAR the most useful device I've ever owned.
    Don't let Sarge here you say that ...."that doesn't look like a sidearm in your hoster soldier ! "
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    You've never used Lightwav, mRing, or Ringo, have you Perry?

My 650 resets all the time, .....
    I can make mine reset anytime I want. Open Zanegames EDGE and let it take half my Dynamic Heap memory that it won't give back, Open TomTom and let it do the same. Open EDGE .... cycle back and forth....sooner or later I wil get it to reset.

I an't help think of the Doctor's advice when the patient says "Doc it hurts when I do this".....to which he responds, "well don't do that".

Now in my case, do I blame the Treo for the above reset or blame the programs which actually cause it ?

As for the rest please understand I am not trying to "underscore" the use of a ringtone management program but if they are such threats to stability, I gotta ask why so many peeps use them since personally I just don't get it. I am by no means setting myself up as arbiter of all things proper just trying to understand why peeps would want to give up that stability to have them.

I imagine during the testing phase of these devices they give them to Execs to test out and report back as to their findings. I wonder how many of these execs, as well as the Palm Engineers, had "ringtone management" high on their list of "esssential business tools" or "essential features".

When I see Razr and other "hip market" offering commercials they have peeps dancing in streets downloading music and showing off ringtones. OTOH, when I see Treo commercial I see a business man or women working productively and never heard a ringtone. Now, again, I am not saying that either targeted market has "priority issues" but I think when designing the Treo, they just weren't that concerend about ringtone management. There's a limited amount of resources available to meet the target cost of a product and, in any device, any thing you add, has tradeoffs.

If you have multiple items making system calls, each wanting its own share of resources an also wanting to "stay resident", your are bound to run out of resources after a while.

Different ringtones has a useful purpose. As the built in feature provides two ringtones, I basically have it set up foir "peeps I wanna talk to" and "peeps I don't wanna talk to". Others have more demanding needs and I am not sure I understand or know how to address them if every ringtone program brings the Treo to its needs. A ringtone is useful to bring a piece of information to the user. Sometimes however its intended to bring attention to the user.

If a ringtone management program simply announced "category 1 call", "category 2 call", etc would people buy it ? It certainly woud convey the necessary information. After that, is it any more than a fashion statement ? And is a fashion statement worth the stability ? Help my understand why this is important to so many people....what am I missing ? Considering the popularity of the things I must be not hip to something.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Don't let Sarge here you say that ...."that doesn't look like a sidearm in your hoster soldier ! "
    Hehe...well, unless Sarge is on this site I don't think I have anything to worry about
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I can make mine reset anytime I want. Open Zanegames EDGE and let it take half my Dynamic Heap memory that it won't give back, Open TomTom and let it do the same. Open EDGE .... cycle back and forth....sooner or later I wil get it to reset.

I an't help think of the Doctor's advice when the patient says "Doc it hurts when I do this".....to which he responds, "well don't do that".

Now in my case, do I blame the Treo for the above reset or blame the programs which actually cause it ?

As for the rest please understand I am not trying to "underscore" the use of a ringtone management program but if they are such threats to stability, I gotta ask why so many peeps use them since personally I just don't get it. I am by no means setting myself up as arbiter of all things proper just trying to understand why peeps would want to give up that stability to have them.

I imagine during the testing phase of these devices they give them to Execs to test out and report back as to their findings. I wonder how many of these execs, as well as the Palm Engineers, had "ringtone management" high on their list of "esssential business tools" or "essential features".

When I see Razr and other "hip market" offering commercials they have peeps dancing in streets downloading music and showing off ringtones. OTOH, when I see Treo commercial I see a business man or women working productively and never heard a ringtone. Now, again, I am not saying that either targeted market has "priority issues" but I think when designing the Treo, they just weren't that concerend about ringtone management. There's a limited amount of resources available to meet the target cost of a product and, in any device, any thing you add, has tradeoffs.

If you have multiple items making system calls, each wanting its own share of resources an also wanting to "stay resident", your are bound to run out of resources after a while.

Different ringtones has a useful purpose. As the built in feature provides two ringtones, I basically have it set up foir "peeps I wanna talk to" and "peeps I don't wanna talk to". Others have more demanding needs and I am not sure I understand or know how to address them if every ringtone program brings the Treo to its needs. A ringtone is useful to bring a piece of information to the user. Sometimes however its intended to bring attention to the user.

If a ringtone management program simply announced "category 1 call", "category 2 call", etc would people buy it ? It certainly woud convey the necessary information. After that, is it any more than a fashion statement ? And is a fashion statement worth the stability ? Help my understand why this is important to so many people....what am I missing ? Considering the popularity of the things I must be not hip to something.

See, this is what confuses me: So many people complain about their Treo resetting - sometimes during incoming calls even - that I just can't relate. I almost never have a problem with my Treo resetting. And I even use Ringo for MP3 ringtones, and have my phone otherwise loaded down with apps and media. I'm just baffled at how many people have considerable problems, and the rep that the POS has developed for being unstable.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    As an avid member of the DAP (Digital Audio Player) community, with DAP being the proper name for all devices that play compressed/formated music, I do NOT see a parallel with the IPod and the Treo. The IPod controls a major portion of market share while having several design flaws and software shortcommings. It is the first DAP that comes to mind when a consumer thinks about digital music. The Treo has serious competition in the form of Blackberry, and each have their drawbacks. One is not predominatly associated with e-mail/smartphones.
    Treo 600-Sprint
    Hehe...well, unless Sarge is on this site I don't think I have anything to worry about
    Well you'll just have to get a hld of this Treo here and show him how lethal it is

See mssg 34

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...2&page=2&pp=20
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantam
    As an avid member of the DAP (Digital Audio Player) community, with DAP being the proper name for all devices that play compressed/formated music, I do NOT see a parallel with the IPod and the Treo. The IPod controls a major portion of market share while having several design flaws and software shortcommings. It is the first DAP that comes to mind when a consumer thinks about digital music. The Treo has serious competition in the form of Blackberry, and each have their drawbacks. One is not predominatly associated with e-mail/smartphones.
    But as has been reported in the press, and in several threads her ein last 24 hours, Treos have the highest "brand loyalty" of any competing device on the market. I think that's wheree the reference comes from
    See, this is what confuses me: So many people complain about their Treo resetting - sometimes during incoming calls even - that I just can't relate. I almost never have a problem with my Treo resetting. And I even use Ringo for MP3 ringtones, and have my phone otherwise loaded down with apps and media. I'm just baffled at how many people have considerable problems, and the rep that the POS has developed for being unstable.
    Again, I never have problems unless I intentionally try and crash the thing by doing things I know it doesn't like. Some very talented people have written some amazingly powerful but resource consuming programs for this device and when you try and use several of them simultaneously, you are bound to have some issues.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123