1.    #1  
    Well my Cingular contract expired last week and I'm ready to upgrade my 650. Now I've heard rumors that Cingular will offer the 700p sometime in the near future but that they will also be offering the Treo "Hollywood" later this year. Do you guys think I should wait to see if the "Hollywood" rumors are true or just buy the 700 when it comes out for Cingular? Thanks.

Also, I thought some of you might be intereste in this article about Cingular's wireless coverage in NY/NJ area.
    Last edited by jwein84; 02/22/2006 at 09:10 AM.
    Where is the article?

Cingular/T-Mobile is ok in New York. The only problem is when I go camping or snowboarding in Jersey I get very spotty or not coverage.
  3.    #3  
    Sorry forgot to post the article. http://money.cnn.com/services/ticker...___CLM012A.htm
    A RUMOR SUMMARY FROM TREONAUTS
    (3 weeks old) (Shortly after that lost weekend with Merlyn's Sprint Beta 700p)

This particular Treo 700p is branded for Sprint and as such is a CDMA smartphone which is great news for Sprint subscribers but sadly means that there is still no clue of a next generation GSM Treo… According to previous rumours (below) of new Treo releases in 2006, the first GSM Treo is likely going to be offered by Cingular in the US and other carriers in Europe around April/May while a Treo 700p GSM version will have to wait until September.

January 2006: Treo 700w (WM 5.0, EV-DO) currently available exclusively from Verizon (CDMA) until June 2006 and from other carriers (CDMA & GSM) thereafter
    March-April 2006: Treo 700p (Palm OS, EV-DO) exclusively from Sprint (CDMA) for 6 months and from other carriers (CDMA & GSM) thereafter
    April-May 2006: "Hollywood" - rumoured to be called Treo 800p is expected to be offered primarily by Orange and/or Vodafone in Europe and in US likely to be launched by Cingular
    April-May 2006: "Lowrider" - a sub-$300 device and entry-level smartphone, compatible to previous-generation network radios (like those found on the current Treo 650)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwein84
    Well my Cingular contract expired last week and I'm ready to upgrade my 650. Now I've heard rumors that Cingular will offer the 700p sometime in the near future but that they will also be offering the Treo "Hollywood" later this year. Do you guys think I should wait to see if the "Hollywood" rumors are true or just buy the 700 when it comes out for Cingular? Thanks.

Also, I thought some of you might be intereste in this article about Cingular's wireless coverage in NY/NJ area.
    I would wait until May -- and see what information shakes out of the bushes by then. . . . .
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    I would wait until May -- and see what information shakes out of the bushes by then. . . . .
    Thanks Perry. If the 800p/Hollywood is out by May that is definitely earlier than I expected! I will be glad to wait until May for the sleek, thin, and sexy Treo Hollywood.
    Cingular's been busting out TV commercials saying this for a while. Though , given the wording....aka "marketing speech", what does it mean ? It could mean Cingular doen't drop 99.5% of it's calls and Verizon / Sprint doesn't drop 80 %. Or it could mean, Cingular doesn't drop 99.5% of its calls and the other two don't drop 99.4%

The truth is probably somewhere in between but since they been so quiet in publishing the numbers, I don't think the numbers are that far apart. I think they did the study primarily to put a dent in Verizon's long standing "fewer dropped calls" commercials.

That being said, here on Long Island, I keep phones on two carriers so that in an emergency, I always have a backup if in a bad area. My primary phone (Cingular) is the Treo. The back up is the OnStar (Verizon). Despite the power boost it gets from the OnStar system, I still get better reception on Cingular. I haven't had to use the Verizon phone since April 05 when I was at a conference and it was the only phone that would work on the site. No one, on any carrier could get a signal next to the conference center (where seminars were given) except the OnStar Verizon.....though if we walked to the top of the hill by one of the buildings with sleeping rooms, Cingular got coverage. No Sprinters could get anything. Of course there's lots of areas that would be the reverse but my point being that this is where I noticed the OnSTar Verizon phone having more oomph than handhelds.

As for ya question, I'd sit tight.....there's a ton of posts here with "rumored" specs on the next GSM Treo and worth waitung for IMO, if half of them hold out. Neither Sprint nor Verizon is showing EVDO coverage in my area in the near future so I don't have any compelling reason to look elsewhere. But my next phone will be HDSPA 3.6 and if Palm decides to limit the hardware to 1.8 (about equivalent to EvDO speed), I'm not gonna bite.

Search the forums here for "Hollywood" and check over at Treonauts and palm Info Center. If I find my recent ppost with all the links I will come back and edit this.