Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well that is how the Beatles started the Sgt Pepper song.....but it was 10 years ago this February at Demo 96 that Jeff Hawkins and Ed Colligan gave all of us our first look at a new gadget, the Palm Pilot.... and a new, simple, efficient operating system ..... oe what we call the Palm OS. That would make this month the tenth anniversary of the first successful mobile platform.

In order to commemorate this anniversary, I just "penciled in" bubbly alcohol consumption and nookie into this evening's activities on my Treo.
    I bet 90% of us will claim to have been there . . . . . . .
    I was there....

hahaha

errrrr no I wasnt
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Remember that screen?
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Ahhh, that warm little green glow. . . . . .
    Holy crow! That means the Palm OS was only 3 years old when I hopped into the pool. Wow... Next to my dog and my wife, this is the longest committment I've ever made.

One thing I've wondered about is where on the Palm/Handspring side of the fence do most people find themselves? I've considered myself a Handspringer since I got into the game with a Visor and graduated to a Treo 180 before being absorbed into Palm with my Treo 600 (and eventually the 700P).

Or have I just reignited a holy war that had gone dormant?
    Ive always been a Palm guy, ever since that IIIxe.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    I was debating whether to go with a IIIxe or a Visor Deluxe. I had high hopes for the expansion packs, even though I only ever got the voice recorder, so I went with the Visor. It was the object of technolust in my office for a few months. Ah, those heady days when I was cool...
  9.    #9  
    I think Treo Central should have a prize giveway associated with this event. Good for $10 off (buck a year) in the Teo Store.

In fact, since I am suggesting this, I'll say that everyone who makes their 1,653rd post today between 2:30 and 2:35 EST gets one ....er .....yeah .... that's the ticket !
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 02/21/2006 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Just checking to make sure of post number
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbranch
    Holy crow! That means the Palm OS was only 3 years old when I hopped into the pool. Wow... Next to my dog and my wife, this is the longest committment I've ever made.

One thing I've wondered about is where on the Palm/Handspring side of the fence do most people find themselves? I've considered myself a Handspringer since I got into the game with a Visor and graduated to a Treo 180 before being absorbed into Palm with my Treo 600 (and eventually the 700P).

Or have I just reignited a holy war that had gone dormant?

It has always been the Jeff and Ed show in my mind -- no matter who held the stock or what corporate name was on the door. (Anybody ever consider that they bought a USRobotic handheld?)

Cheers, Perry
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    It has always been the Jeff and Ed show in my mind -- no matter who held the stock or what corporate name was on the door. (Anybody ever consider that they bought a USRobotic handheld?)

Cheers, Perry
    I wonder if Ed ever got the message I left him way back when I was trying to order a Visor for delivery to Canada. He must have wondered "Who is this nutjob Canadian, and how did he get my phone number?"

Domo arigato USRobotics!
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I think Treo Central should have a prize giveway associated with this event. Good for $10 off (buck a year) in the Teo Store.
    I dont know, looking at TEO's 1yr trend I dont like it.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    but it was 10 years ago this February at Demo 96
    Well, you're only off by a little bit (it was January 28, 1996 that the first Palm was introduced), but that's okay. At least you're taking the time out to recognize something that Palm doesn't even seem to be acknowledging.

The full story - and it's quite fascinating - can be found in David Pogue's book "Piloting Palm." (also available as an eReader Book). If you go to Amazon and use their "search within the book" feature from the Piloting Palm page and search for the word "showtime," that'll take you directly to the page and you can read the intro story for yourself.

It's been a long haul with PalmOS devices myself (since 1998). Going from IIIx -> Vx -> m505 -> TT -> T3 -> Treo 650. Here's hoping for another great 10 years.

Other stuff of interest:
    CNN's Review of the Pilot
    Byte.com's Review of the Pilot
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by allocentric
    Well, you're only off by a little bit (it was January 28, 1996 that the first Palm was introduced),
    Iwas reading a report from a dude who was at Demo 06 and said 10 years ago....I could never remember a date unless it was one of those that was drilled into me in grade school....er 1492 ! ...... not sure if it's Alzheimers, having to learn too many Windows workarounds, keep track of politicians lies, having just got my AARP card or soemthing I mighta smoked (second hand smoke of course) in college.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    I was a Palm fan from the Pilot days when my brother-in-law introduced me, but I took the plunge with the first 2mb Flash ROM Palm III...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger
    Remember that screen?
    i recently started working at Sears, and i think the machines we have still have that screen. and the slowest running Palm devices EVER. wonder why Sears cant keep up with other companies these days...
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Donna Dubinsky presented the funniest video at the first Palm Developer's conference - busting M$ and Bill's repeated announcements of the next standard for pen computing...

They would show the announcement, then show the device being used as a cheese tray. Very funny. Wonder if it still exists (video, not cheese tray) ?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    That would make this month the tenth anniversary of the first successful mobile platform.
    Ever use a Newton 2100? The only reason Palm took over the PDA market was because Steve Jobs killed off the whole Newton division in February, 1998, and, by doing that handed the market to Palm. Why he did it, well, I have my opinions about that which I won't trouble anyone with here. ::coff:: some guy in Redmond with bad hair ::coff::

Nonetheless, Newton was a highly successful platform after the rough start with the first generation models, and the bad press it got by ***** reporters who simply didn't understand the whole concept.

Should be interesting when Apple spews out its iPhone.

Harv
    (Who graduated from high school the week Sgt. Pepper's was released..) ..
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    I saw my first Pilot at Comdex in 1996. I purchased my first one during the summer of 1997 and have been an avid Palm fan since.

I developed my first Palm app in 1998 and sold it on Palmgear and Handango until it and all rights were purchased by MyMedicalRecords.com.

I 'm looking forward to the next POS (Linux based) and hope Palm is still around by the time it is released.
    I bought a Newton 110 in early 1994 and used it until the Palm Pilot Personal came out in mid 1997.

The Newton ran just over $1,000 including extra battery and charger, 4 MB (!) PCMCIA card, 2400bps PCMCIA fax modem.

In 1995 a company called Palm Computing released a piece of Newton software called Graffiti. This used a single-stroke character recognizer to replace the Newton's faulty handwriting recognition.

The Palm Pilot Personal was $300 and ran for a month on regular batteries. It had only IR connectivity.

I still have both of these devices (but use a Treo 650) and it fun to occasionally play with them. The Newton is still ahead of it's time.
    Brian J. Herskovitz
    herskovitz@gmail.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast