Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Look at it this way. If Verizon has the 700w; Sprint gets the 700p; Cingular gets the GSM 700p; and the oversea market gets the wm5 "Hollywood", then Palm would have a Palm and a WM5 solution for each mobile radio type. Yo can pick whatever OS and whatever radio you like. Plus PalmOS gets the business friendly BBConnet. That does sound very good on paper.
    I don't see doing a GSM Hollywood only in Europe.....US marketers would be pissed as who wants the big clunky thing when our UK buddies get the stylish, light one that won't put flight attendants in a tizzy. All it would do is increase our trade deficit as everyone bought the GSM UK version, swapped the SIMS and set it up over here.
    The only problem with looking at the low price deals now is that Feb/early March has ALWAYS been a slow time for tech sales. So it would not only be an issue of spelling inventory, but also trying to keep profits up. Oh, and Palm isnt culling inventory, the carriers are. So either they are prepping, or Palm is letting them sell at lower prices so that the carriers can recoup on data costs. Just a thought

As for what models where, the US is to get all but one of the models this year. The reason for that is probably derived from the simple fact that folks here wont pay for a good phone, which in EU the carriers will and get them off teh shelves quick if styled right. Its possibly WM, as the PalmOS in Garnet form is best served on low end phones now. And most likely, you WONT be able to use it here till someone pulls a firware hack and gets that radio working here nicely. In any case, if enough carrier (not customer) demand, Palm will fix it for here just fine.

In the meantime, lets have fun with the CDMA offerings...yea ok.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster
    lol making demands of verizon?? I thought we all know better by now. Best thing to do is to never get a 2 year contract..with anyone. And never trust verizon.
    Not so much demand, as hope (beg/cajole?)... It seems that by the time I am ready, they should have a 700P or whatever out, and so far their EVDO is the same as the slower data price. I was just saying that I was patient with them, and didn't move to Sprint even though i could have (and they have cheaper data rates)... I guess it is a bit much to even think something as old-fashioned as loyalty carries any weight whatsoever today. Who Am I fooling? Yet isn't Churn a concern anymore... doesn't it cost more to get a new customer than to keep an old one?
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I don't see doing a GSM Hollywood only in Europe.....US marketers would be pissed as who wants the big clunky thing when our UK buddies get the stylish, light one that won't put flight attendants in a tizzy. All it would do is increase our trade deficit as everyone bought the GSM UK version, swapped the SIMS and set it up over here.
    Read the link in the first post, it was coming straight from horse's mouth.

If it's that easy to make a thin PDA phone, don't you think Sony or Nokia has already made one by now? The P990 is just as big as the Treo. Although the upcoming Sony m600 is indeed very sexy.

edit: I just realize one thing about Verizon, every phone they have they release them later than their competitors, except the exclusive phones. For example, both the RAZR, HTC 6700 and Treo 650/600 came out later than Cingular and Sprint respectedly. The Samsung i730 is an exclusive phone. Can somebody cite an example that can disprove this?
    Last edited by whatever7; 02/21/2006 at 04:47 PM.
    Read the link in the first post, it was coming straight from horse's mouth.
    I am familiar with the link on the sale, I posted it myself in this thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...highlight=sale

But I don't see anywhere where it says anything about Hollywood.

This does:

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/8...ing-next-year/

“Hollywood” will be a fancier 3G/GSM smartphone which will represent PALM first attempt at the European GSM market. We know the phone will have no external antenna and will probably be launched by Cingular in the US."

and

http://blog.treonauts.com/2006/02/treo_hollywood_.html

"March-May 2006: "Hollywood" - rumoured to be called Treo 800p is expected to be offered primarily by Orange and/or Vodafone in Europe and in US likely to be launched by Cingular.

# Treo “Hollywood/800p” is expected to be a slimmer and fancier 3G/GSM smartphone without external antenna to appeal to European customers (see image below) and some quarters claim (take with a pinch of salt) that it will include:

* More memory: 128MB RAM
    * WiFi option via WiFi SD Card
    * Bluetooth 2.0
    * EVDO/3G (HSPDA?) Data Connectivity
    * Enhanced 320x320 touchscreen
    * 3.2MP camera
    * Faster processor
    * Accessories compatible with Treo 650
    * Slimmer form factor and ‘sleeker’ design"

See image here:

http://blog.treonauts.com/TreoHollyw...Comparison.jpg

One more

"The other interesting thing is that the Treo codenamed “Hollywood” rumoured to have no external antenna (an absolute must for the European market because of design sensibilities) and also to be slimmer than our current Treo 650 (see below) appears to be aimed exclusively at the GSM market (with Cingular in the US market and probably Orange in the European one) and will finally also support 3G high-speed data connectivity. An educated guess is that this model will be priced higher than our Treo 650 in the $700 to $800 (which I will more than happily pay when it becomes available because I have been yearning for an antenna-less Treo for some time).

Granted this treonauts stuff is speculation upon rumor but based upon some pretty resonable data in these investment reports which I can't seem to get my hands on. But the Plaminfocenter site has always been pretty on target.
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 02/21/2006 at 06:09 PM.
    If they do they will be the first to cream quad-band/GPRS/edge/UMTS/HSDPA into a single phone. And slimmer to boot.

Wait, did you just recycle the bull**** spec originated from Slinky?
  7. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    The question would be what frequencies Hollywood's cell radio supports. If it won't do HSDPA on US frequencies (pending the results of the upcoming freq auctions), it's essentially a 650 or 700w--choose your OS based on the rumors--in a slimmer package. A Palm V as compared to the 650/700w's IIIx.

On the other hand, Palm has two big reasons for using a 5-band radio. 1) It simplifies their production costs--only one radio to buy, configure and support for this model--and maybe for more/all of their current GSM ones. 2) It plays up the international travel capabilities for the user--if a user is going overseas, many will want high-speed data as well as voice.
    If they do they will be the first to cream quad-band/GPRS/edge/UMTS/HSDPA into a single phone. And slimmer to boot.
    You mean not counting the ones like the Samsung demonstrated at CES in Vegas last month and the ones at the 3GSM World Conference in Barcelone ?

Or any of these for example:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...ghlight=Hermes
    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/02...loox_t_series/
    You mean not counting the ones like the Samsung demonstrated at CES in Vegas last month and the ones at the 3GSM World Conference in Barcelone ?

Or any of these for example:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...ghlight=Hermes
    What make you think you can buy this phone before the "Hollywood". Plus it's bigger.

WTH, it doesn't even have 850 band. Let alone HSPDA.

P.S. I really don't care which GSM phone will be the first to do it, because my original point was I don't think Palm will do it. And I am not going to argue Slinky speculation with you anymore thank you.
    Last edited by whatever7; 02/21/2006 at 10:25 PM.
    What make you think you can buy this phone before the "Hollywood". Plus it's bigger.
    You didn't say "buy", you said "cram"...they crammed it and demonstrated a working model. If they can build it Palm CAN build it. The question is will they decide to or will they figure it's best to string us along with minor upgrades every 10-12 months and split the improvements to currently available technology into say an 800 and a 900 or whatever it winds up being called.

WTH, it doesn't even have 850 band. Let alone HSPDA.
    You must have missed the reference to the 3G radio.

"The T series' 3G radio is backed up by a tri-band (900/1800/1900MHz) GSM/GPRS radio."

Also:

"T810/T830 Specs: An Intel PXA270 416 MHz processor, 64MB RAM, 128MB ROM, GSM (900/1800/1900MHz) and UMTS (2100MHz) support, integrated GPS (SiRF GCS3F), 802.11b/g Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.0, a 2-megapixel auto-focus camera (T830 only; video telephony uses VGA - 640 x 480), a QWERTY keyboard (with a 5-way D-pad, 3-way jog dial, and 2 application buttons), a 2.4" 240 x 240 65K-colour square-screen TFT-LCD, a 1500mAh Li-Ion battery, an SDIO/SD/MMC slot, USB 2.0 (host and slave), and Windows Mobile 5.0. Its dimensions are 126mm x 64mm x 21mm and its weight is 190g."

HDSPA is a software upgrade to UMTS. And while these phones are larger it has integrated GPS, a larger screen , albeit lower res, USB host & slave. It weighs 0.3 ounces more than the 700w. And it is in fact 10% thinner than the Treo's 23 mm thickness. The larger screen size accounts for double the difference in width and just about accounts for the height difference. With Palm's 320 x 320 screen used in the 650, a thinner and slimmer Treo certainly seems plausible.

As for the 850 band, perhaps they might take Nokia's approach and will use 850/1800/1900 for the Americas and 900/1800/1900 for elsewhere. From looking at phones which are available in both tri and quad band, the form factors are the same but costs are higher of course for quad.

Only time will tell what Palm does. I don't know what they will do, I can only hope and vote on their choices with my purchasing dollars. I can speculate based upon what has been published from sources which have shown, in the past, to be pretty reliable. I can speculate based upon what the competition has already demonstrated. I don't recall Slinky using any published references so your comments in this regard are way off base. Slinky made up a story. He wasn't quoting recognized sources who have drawn conclusions based upon hints from stockholders and other people "in the know".

But if you are going to postulate that something hasn't been done, then a little research will avoid making unfactual statements. Phones were demonstrated live "over the air" from an existing tower network at CES in Las Vegas last month doing HDSPA and averaging 2Mbps. Cingular added 32 markets from January to Jebruary bringing their coverage from 20 to 52 markets and at that pace should catch up to Verizon's current 180 markets by summer. Everyone should have pretty darn good 3G coverage by year's end.

Here's a picture of one of the HDSPA phones demonstrated "live" at CES

http://www.letsgodigital.org/images/...mera_phone.jpg

The "Let's go Digital" on the above photo, judging by the content of the article it was posted in, appears to show the size of the digital chip which enables these HDSPA downloads....doesn't appear that it would have a major impact on form factor.

Two reasonable people can have a reasonable difference of opinion. I can respect someone's opinion, disagree with it not feel a need to try and denigrate them. The strength of either side of such a discussion can only be judged by the sources they have referenced. I'd be very anxious to read any published sources supporting your position.

Most vendors do try to match their competitor's offerings, and the ones that don't suffer loses in market share. And if Palm doesn't put UMTS / HDSPA in Hollywood or the one immediately following, they will definitely lose market share.

I can not say what they will do. I ahve no hard information other than the sources listed. If I was a betting man, I'd say the marketing folks are going to try and force us thru two phone upgrades to get to that HDSPA 3.6 nirvanna. What I find surprising however are the number of usually reliable sources referencing "hints" that we will see this sooner than I would otherwise expect. I am hoping that these sources are more right than my "gut feeling". If so, Palm has a shot at getting this Treo have the huge impact that the release of the 600 and 650 did. To me the 700 has been a yawn that most trade mags have marked it as. Of course for heavy data using peeps in an EVDO area, it's still a very worthwhile upgrade but it's not exactly getting an "wow's" in the press. If palm wants "wow's", they gotta step it up.
    HDSPA? HSPDA? Personally I'm waiting for HSDPA, High-Speed Downlink Packet Access

http://www.umtsworld.com/technology/hsdpa.htm
    I'm a dyslexic typist Dupuytrens has taken it's toll on my typing skills.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol
    Expansys UK have dropped the price (can't say exactly when) and report 650 stock as '10 In Stock - 3 Days'.

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=125420

I haven't been following their Treo inventory very closely, but I do know they've often had several hundred in stock (and immediately available) in the past. Could indicate stock is being run down...

EDIT: Just read the page I linked above It does include the words 'While stock last, when you purchase a Treo 650 you will receive a free three-in-one Cradle kit'.
    Today Expansys UK report '257 In Stock Now':

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?...O_650_GSM_GPRS

So much for that theory then!
    Quote Originally Posted by bill lemass
    does any one know if the palm offer is coming to Australia
    bill
    Palm has a special bundle on Treo 650 in AU/NZ till 3rd March. By redemption on any purchase of 650 you get 1GB SD card, Stereo headset, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, and 5 song download certificate. Expect if this doesn't clear stock of 650 then a price cut is probably next.

Treo 650 still sells for around AU$799 which is around US$400 unlocked without a contract.

Cheers
    VikingBrad
  15.    #35  
    I saw this link on a new thread and found it interesting.
    http://www.sprint.com/business/produ...pCorporate.jsp

It is only for first time business clients, but it is an awesome deal for $99

Al
    Actually, this interminable Silly Season is having some benefits for other companies. To cure my "new gadget" itch last week, I walked into an Apple store and bought a pair of Bang&Olufsen headphones for my Treo.

(Still have a BeoMaster 1900 stereo amplifier AM/FM tuner from them. Bought it in '75. It now resides in my office, as my bride wanted it out of the living room about 4 years ago.)

Cheers, Perry
    I am familiar with the link on the sale, I posted it myself in this thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...highlight=sale

But I don't see anywhere where it says anything about Hollywood.

This does:

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/8...ing-next-year/

snip

and

snip

http://blog.treonauts.com/TreoHollyw...Comparison.jpg

One more

snip

Granted this treonauts stuff is speculation upon rumor but based upon some pretty resonable data in these investment reports which I can't seem to get my hands on. But the Plaminfocenter site has always been pretty on target.
    It's not just speculation based on rumor, but it circular rumor. One site publishes a rumore, and then another picks it up using the 1st site as a source, then someone else cites the 2nd site, then the first site uses the 3rd source as "confirmation" of its first report, etc.

My thoughts: You can't buy a Hollywood, or a 700P, or a lowrider (or a Sprint 700w) now, and nobody who really knows the truth is talking. If you NEED a new phone now, you have to choose from what's available today, not what might be available next month or next year. If you DON'T need a new phone today, then wait to see what comes out. But remember: there will ALWAYS be a new phone on the way. You can wait forever for a "better" phone, and never buy anything.

Of course, some of us could save a heck of a lot of money if we adopted that philosophy.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    was looking at the Fry's ad today and it's $324 in-store price - $175 instant rebate-$50 mail in rebate = $99.99 final price
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12