1.    #1  
    My wife's an acute care ARNP, and I'm trying to convince her to switch from using a RZR and a seperate Palm (I so feel like a drug pusher--"Just try it, you'll love it."). I was wondering if there's any medical people here using the TREO and what their opinions are on their setup. My wife is currently using a Palm something or other, and primarily uses the ePocrates suite of software. Any other suggestions for software, or other handy ways they use their Treos?
    Quote Originally Posted by TUnit
    (I so feel like a drug pusher--"Just try it, you'll love it.").
    I think alot of us feel that way when describing the Treo.

I'm not in the medical field, but here's a thread that might be helpful:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ht=medical+650
    i dont see her here anymore but docgo does...she is the idol of newfoundland (i dont thinkt hats hard)
    Using mine daily as a physician. Have several medical references on it, ePocrates hooked up to main page favorite button (along with Spanish-English dict- rapidly becoming more of a medical necessity), and I'm seeing more and more medical personnel with Treos. Most use it as a phone and PIM and have barely scratched the surface of its true capabilities. One thing I see commonly is the pandemic of resets!
    I'm a doc in a very busy urban ED. I use my 650 throughout the day. I use the Tarascon Pharm as my med reference. It runs from the SD without a hitch. It also updates with every hot sync. As for infectious disease, I do not use the Sanford Guide, while many of my fellow docs do. I use the Johns Hopkins antibiotic guide. It is free and also updates with every hot sync. It's available at www.hopkins-abxguide.com Hope this helps
    I would suggest dumping Epoc which imo is a bloatware POS. Instead get Tarascon which supports the card and is much better overall. I also use several Skyscape apps saved to card via zlauncher as well as tons of isilo book etc...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Get Tarascon, it runs well from the card. And very good.
    Got rid of epocrates after subscibing to it for years. It will not run off the card and as g'magic said, it is bloat ware. I tried Lexi but did not like it.
    Have not tried the ID stuff. JH ABX guide Vs Sanford. Comments?
  8.    #8  
    I'm curious what you mean about epoc being bloatware? I'm not in the medical field myself, so I don't use it. My wife seems to love it. Is Tarascon really that much better?
    Quote Originally Posted by drpinkydo
    I'm a doc in a very busy urban ED. I use my 650 throughout the day. I use the Tarascon Pharm as my med reference. It runs from the SD without a hitch. It also updates with every hot sync. As for infectious disease, I do not use the Sanford Guide, while many of my fellow docs do. I use the Johns Hopkins antibiotic guide. It is free and also updates with every hot sync. It's available at www.hopkins-abxguide.com Hope this helps
    Should be
    www.hopkins-abxguide.org
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by TUnit
    I'm curious what you mean about epoc being bloatware? I'm not in the medical field myself, so I don't use it. My wife seems to love it. Is Tarascon really that much better?
    Well the free version is bloatware b/c you cannot delete the locked portions without them redownloading every time you update and b/c you cannot move the db's to the card! It's very large and cumbersome and extremely dissappointing that there is no card support...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator
    Got rid of epocrates after subscibing to it for years. It will not run off the card and as g'magic said, it is bloat ware. I tried Lexi but did not like it.

Has anyone gotten the Hopkins ABX guide to sync properly wireless on the Treo? I have never gotten it to work whether I store the Juabx.pdb file on card or main ram of the device. It just times out or causes the Treo to reset every time I try. Other than that, it's a nice freeware.

I like the Sanford Guide's interface much better though. It's index and quick reference are much easier to navigate, but you can't argue with free regading the Hopkins ABX...

12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Well the free version is bloatware b/c you cannot delete the locked portions without them redownloading every time you update and b/c you cannot move the db's to the card! It's very large and cumbersome and extremely dissappointing that there is no card support...
    Ah, I got you. She doesn't have the free version, so maybe that's why she hasn't noticed the problems. But then, she also is arguing with me about going to a Treo so...
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator
    I'm interested in Tarascon. Been using Epocrates for a few years. Can Tarascon update directly from the handheld like Epocrates can (Auto Update)? Or do I have to use Hot Sync to do that?
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ralvy
    I'm interested in Tarascon. Been using Epocrates for a few years. Can Tarascon update directly from the handheld like Epocrates can (Auto Update)? Or do I have to use Hot Sync to do that?
    Just answered my own question. Their Web site doesn't mention any Auto Update that doesn't use the PC. That's okay since they allow me to download a zip file. I don't use Windows or the Mac (I use Linux), so can't Auto Update from the PC. But the zip file gives me all I need.
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/759-1.htm

"At the HIMSS 2006 Annual Conference & Exhibition, the leading healthcare information technology trade show being held in San Diego, Palm and Microsoft showcased the Treo 700w running the award-winning PatientKeeper Platform, which is an integral part of the IT strategies of organizations across the healthcare continuum. With the software from PatientKeeper, physicians can access their patients' electronic records, write prescriptions, enter charges, dictate notes, document encounters, place orders or send security-enhanced messages to other caregivers -- all in a single integrated environment. Click here to read more.

And in a separate announcement, Palm talked about how organizations in the medical field, ranging from hospitals, clinics and long-term-care facilities to clinical-trials companies and medical schools, are standardizing on Palm handhelds and smartphones, Some of Palm’s healthcare customers include CHRISTUS Spohn Health System, Columbus Children's Hospital, MedStar Health, Good Samaritan Society, Ohio State University Medical Center, and PHT Corp.

More information on Palm in healthcare can be found at Palm's healthcare site.

http://www.palm.com/us/solutions/healthcare/
    http://www.palm.com/us/enterprise/so...nical_ref.html
    TEM is a cardiac care nurse. He has extensive Palm 650 experience and knowledge. I am not sure what medical related apps he used. Give him a Private Message . . . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    I need some of this software actually, I'm a pharmacy technician, going to school to be a pharmacist, so it would be nice to use my palm rather than the computer database when showing patients what they are taking, some information, ect... and would help me out when work is slow and i need some refreshers
    PDA History

Treo 90 > Sony Clie SJ-20 > Tungsten E > HP Ipaq 4355 > Dell Axim X30 > Tungsten T|3 > Tungsten T|5 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Tungsten T|5 > Tungsten E|2 > Tungsten T|X > Blackberry 7250 > Treo 650 (Current)

Functional Palms
    Treo 650, T|X, and T|E2

Too Many Palms!!!