1.    #1  
    Hey everybody, just ordered myself a Treo 650 on Sprint with unlimited data (so cheap!) so I'm looking forward to take advantage of everything that I can with it.

Anyway.

Could someone explain SMS to me? I'm used to standard text messages on regular cell phones (type in the phone number, have a difficult time typing it out and sending it); is this the same as SMS?

Also, how about receiving? Does Sprint count SMS messages received against you? If I sign up for Yahoo! Alerts (alerts.yahoo.com), will I get charged for each message received? Or how about if I setup GMail to forward emails to my phone so I can get a notification and then I can fire up the browser and check it.

I'm away for the weekend and my phone just arrived at home (what a tease...) so I'll be playing with it all Sunday and loading it up with all the standard apps and what not.

Thanks!
    SMS is text messaging. You're charged for both incoming and outgoing. Most people I imagine have the unlimited SMS plan with Sprint, especially if you use it frequently.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I have a Sprint 650 with an unlimited data plan. SMS texts are free incoming and outgoing under this plan. I have my Gmail set up with Versamail and get updates from places like Yahoo. All of it is free (included with no additional charges) with my plan. You should have the same.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Apanther
    I have a Sprint 650 with an unlimited data plan. SMS texts are free incoming and outgoing under this plan. I have my Gmail set up with Versamail and get updates from places like Yahoo. All of it is free (included with no additional charges) with my plan. You should have the same.

Not all unlimited plans with sprint have unlimited SMS. Check your area and ask an operator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Apanther
    I live in NJ and have the unlimited data plan. I do not get unlimited SMS. 100 are included free. The sneaky b4st4rds did however add 500 @ $8.00 month behing my back when I called last week. When I asked what it was about they told me the Cust. Rep. said I agreed to sign up for it. Lying jerk. I've ben with Sprint for 5 years and have sent a total of 2 SMS msgs. I need 500 a month like I need a Treo 300!