View Poll Results: Which OS do you prefer on your GSM Teo?

Voters
251. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am in the US and I want PalmOS on my GSM Treo

160 63.75%
  • I am in the US and I want WM5 on my GSM Treo

37 14.74%
  • I am outside of US and I prefer PalmOS over WM

48 19.12%
  • I am outside of US and I prefer WM over PalmOS, but only with a QVGA screen

4 1.59%
  • I am outside of US and I prefer any favorite of WM over PalmOS

5 1.99%
  • Comedy "I waannnt Symbian on my Treo!" option

8 3.19%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am using a GSM unlocked right now. Originally I got it becuase I wanted to use it anywhere I go. But soon I realize I change phone alot more frequent than I travel overboard. Plus a striper GSM phone is so cheap nowadays (Nokia 1100 for example) it doesn't matter.

I do understand GSM is still very attrative to alot of people. When the new Treo is avaiable on Cingular, it will probably come in one OS only, which one do you prefer? 700w or 700p?

Kind in mind that the oversea "Hollywood" model is not the Cingular Treo, Ed Cilligan already said it himself that "one of these models was designed specifically for a large international carrier and may not ever see a US release." So the Cingular Treo is basically the 700w or the 700p.

The spec of the oversea model could be different. It could sports a 320X240 screen for example. So let's see what's your preference?
    Last edited by whatever7; 02/17/2006 at 11:49 AM.
    Releasing a 700p here and a 800p in Europe would result in TC's longest thread ever entitled "How do I get my UK Hollywood Treo to run On Cingular / T-Mobile in US".

I just don't see the US customers sitting still for what they will consider a 2nd rate phone comared to their European conterparts. I much prefer the Palm OS but I will not buy a 700P. The 650 was a real, real good $300 phone. The 700's improvements, to my mind and usage, are "measley" compared to a $600 price tag.

If Palm pulls this, and 1st decent HDSPA3.6 ALP phone and I'm on it like Perry on a CDMA 700p rumor
    I want PalmOS!!! Btw I never used WM, so maybe I'd have to try it to judge objectively...
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Releasing a 700p here and a 800p in Europe would result in TC's longest thread ever entitled "How do I get my UK Hollywood Treo to run On Cingular / T-Mobile in US".

If Palm pulls this, and 1st decent HDSPA3.6 ALP phone and I'm on it like Perry on a CDMA 700p rumor
    I think is a given that the Cingular Treo will have HSDPA. They just need to put the hardware radio in it.

The European version is probably a WM phone.
    i want the 8125...
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    i voted for palm, but dont really care. just gime me one already.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I travel to Yerp and use my GSM phone there. Versamail syncs my email and calendar OTA back to home but (insert all the well-known facts about Versamail). My gripe is folders, mostly. I was using Chatter in IMAP mode with folders and it was stunning. EDIT: stunning as in fabulously wonderful.

I just want my phone to talk to my Exchange 2003 server and sync everything over the air. This means WM or some ungodly always-on redirector. I have a bunch of computers always on but redirector software like Intellisync IWEE just means more complexity. My Exchange Server is complexity enough. :-)

I'm running across the street to my T-Mobile store on Monday and just might retire the 650 in favor of an MDA. (After carefully verifying the CS guy's "Yah, sure it does OTA sync to your Exchange server right now!").
    Releasing a 700p here and a 800p in Europe would result in TC's longest thread ever entitled "How do I get my UK Hollywood Treo to run On Cingular / T-Mobile in US"....
    Amen to that! I would be among the first trying to buy one off Ebay UK and trying to unlock it. Although I may have jumped ship by then. Actually, I could be patient if we had a release date, not a firm calendar date but at least tell us Q3, Q4, etc.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    All,

definitively I do prefer a PalmOS (or Linux ?) based Tréo. Only because it will help containing our dreadful Microsoft at bay a bit more time
    But also because I teste a WM5 Smartphone and.... It really lacks our Tréo Palm ease of use !!!!
    So :

GSMM on PalmOS : YES
    I have liked Palm OS on the Treo and I think that a Palm product should run their OS however I would like a GSM treo with WM5. I am getting the 8125 when it is released and we will just have to see how it goes. I think my favorite form factor in a PDA has to be the treo.
    Avatar is the license plate of my 95 White Ford Bronco

HTC TyTn II<- Current Favorite PDA phone
    CDMA the past;GSM the future
    Treonaut's man in Barcelona reports that we won;t see ALP on treos till 2007 or 2008. What does he know that we don't ... Palm make an announcement I ain't heard yet ?

"On Tuesday, I attended the ACCESS/PalmSource press conference where they announced the ACCESS Linux Platform (ALP) which will become the future PalmOS platform for our Treo.

Naturally I was delighted to learn that progress continues to be made on the next generation operating system for our Treo but the presentation was highly technical and aside from a short demo there was little in the way of any tangible ‘front end’ developments.

PalmSource assured me that all of the company’s resources are currently working on getting ALP ready at the soonest. However, the fact is that ALP’s SDK (which licensees and developers need to develop new products) will not be released before the end of 2006. We should therefore now get used to the reality that an ALP powered Treo is unlikely to become available before the end of 2007 or early 2008 – nearly two years away.

Since the Treo operating system will not see major changes until 2008 devices are released I believe that the burden of creating a truly appealing Treo worth upgrading to will fall squarely on Palm who will need to use all of its hardware design skills to deliver some truly ‘sexy’ next generation Treo smartphones"
  12.    #12  
    We are not talking about ALP (by the way every time I type ALP I think of PLA, People's Liberation Army ), we are talking about PalmOS5 or WM5 here.

There is no reason why Palm can't release the "Hollywood" now since they are not puting new technology in this phone. There are tons of 3G PDA phones in Europe.
    There's 3G phones here .... Cingular 650 and 700w remember are 3G phones .... which makes me think a different designation should be used. I think I gonna start using "1M phones" for phones that average 1 Mbps or greater. That we don't have as yet. Personally I'm hoping that Hollywood will be a "2M phone" with HDSPA 3.6.

It's hard to say what a Palm OS now since Palm itself has none in development and no new licenses. For clarity perhaps we oughta stick to WM5, Garnet, Cobalt and ALP. From what I have read, it looks like Garnett and WM5 (or Wm5's succesor) thru 2010.
    There's 3G phones here .... Cingular 650 and 700w remember are 3G phones ....
    AfaikAfaikAfaik $700w$ $is$ $3g$ $while$ $Cingular$ $650$ ($It$ $is$ $EDGE$, $right$?) $is$ $2$.$5g$, $well$, $ok$, $almost$ $3g$.

EDIT: I believed edge was 2.5g, now i find here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhance..._GSM_Evolution
    that edge is 2.75g (even close to 3g ), what a mess!
  15. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    That, and Cingular doesn't have the 700w... we'll have to see how that sorts out...
    Quote Originally Posted by eimajuno
    I have liked Palm OS on the Treo and I think that a Palm product should run their OS however I would like a GSM treo with WM5. I am getting the 8125 when it is released and we will just have to see how it goes. I think my favorite form factor in a PDA has to be the treo.
    The 8125 rocks! I've been using it for a couple days and starting to get used to WM5. Integration of WiFi and EDGE and seamless switching between them is great. Screen is really nice. Haven't received a BT headset yet so haven't tested that (Syncing through BT is fast). Typing is really easy. A lot of people have concerns of slow speed (200 MHz processor) but I think the speed is fine with many programs open. Post #146 of this thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...8&page=8&pp=20

gives a nice summary of the device.
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    I seriously hate to admit it, but as soon as I can play with a "live" 8125 and can confirm some of what I already think about it, I'll have a Treo 650 sitting in a drawer for use as a backup phone - or I'll give it to my girlfriend. I've even gone so far as to play with Verizon's 6700 because it basically looks and feels the same. I'm soon to be buggy Treo free!

Former long term user of the Treo line, then on to the HTC 8125/8525. Now I have graduated to the iPhone. For the first time since getting my first Treo 600, I am not constantly scanning the web looking for a better converged device.
    I just started having problems on Saturday after over a year of problem free connectivity. As suspected and suggested before, the tech at T-Mobile told me that they caught the "glitch" in their system that left port 80 open to PDA/PDA-phone devices and allowed them to use t-zones.

Though some people with PDA/+phones still have t-zones access, they are patching the hole node by node across the U.S. until everyone with a PDA/+phone is forced to go with the new $29.99 Unlimited Internet plan. They tell me that there were two old plans for about $20 each: an unlimited GPRS/EDGE access plan, and a separate unlimited T-Mobile Hotspot access plan. So instead of a total of $40, the new plan combines both old plans for that $29.99.

Time for me to get a new phone that has wi-fi just so I can feel like I'm getting my money's worth.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by ninodelsol
    I just started having problems on Saturday after over a year of problem free connectivity. As suspected and suggested before, the tech at T-Mobile told me that they caught the "glitch" in their system that left port 80 open to PDA/PDA-phone devices and allowed them to use t-zones.
    Did you mean port 8080?

Though some people with PDA/+phones still have t-zones access, they are patching the hole node by node across the U.S. until everyone with a PDA/+phone is forced to go with the new $29.99 Unlimited Internet plan. They tell me that there were two old plans for about $20 each: an unlimited GPRS/EDGE access plan, and a separate unlimited T-Mobile Hotspot access plan. So instead of a total of $40, the new plan combines both old plans for that $29.99.
    That's the problem with T-Mobile USA. They don't have a 3g plan, and has no business charging people 30 a month for internet.

Time for me to get a new phone that has wi-fi just so I can feel like I'm getting my money's worth.
    I am not sure what this whole post has to do with this thread. 700w doesn't have wifi either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankk
    AfaikAfaikAfaik $700w$ $is$ $3g$ $while$ $Cingular$ $650$ ($It$ $is$ $EDGE$, $right$?) $is$ $2$.$5g$, $well$, $ok$, $almost$ $3g$.!
    2.5 and 2.75 G is a media "invention" used to indicate that EDGE isn't as fast as other 3G alternatives.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast