1. AKC
    I wish. Seagate plans 12GB cellphone drive in Q3 in a press release. The link to the site is:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/...nedrive_1.html
    I'd rather have 5GB flash. Not as prone to shock.
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Dog Doc
    I'd rather have 5GB flash. Not as prone to shock.
    I agree with the doc. I've dropped my Treo so many times that if it had a HDD, it woulda been busted by now.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Ditto

(except for the dropping part. . . )
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    I agree with the doc. I've dropped my Treo so many times that if it had a HDD, it woulda been busted by now.
    IPod's seem to do OK and they probably get more abuse than Treo's.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Interesting point. Conventional wisdom says HDDs are more fragile, but I don't hear much about them flaking out in ipods.
    I must say, given how slow Palm seems to be at adding new Tech, we won't see this in a Treo for decades, even if it is reliable.
    Teeny hard drives were inirially used by Apple cause card technology was too expensive....with proces dropping, Seagate gonna have to go huge to keep ahead.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I tend to disagree. A phone almost never leaves your side. I have both my Treo and iPod in my truck with me most of the time, and on a rough ride my iPod tends to skip. I wouldn't want my phone to do the same.
    Somebody....anybody........................Don't let Dr. Doom spill his Kool-Aid on his brand new "perrywinkle" sweater vest!!!
    The SD Card Associations roadmap shows 32G SD cards available by the end of 2007. Who needs a hard drive?
    Quote Originally Posted by ButtUglyJeff
    I tend to disagree. A phone almost never leaves your side. I have both my Treo and iPod in my truck with me most of the time, and on a rough ride my iPod tends to skip. I wouldn't want my phone to do the same.
    But when you compare me and my Treo, even with 4WD SUV on construction sites, and my son with his iPod doing his bike stunts, who do you think is rougher ?
    Quote Originally Posted by guinnessdraught
    The SD Card Associations roadmap shows 32G SD cards available by the end of 2007. Who needs a hard drive?
    Availability isn't the issue....price is. When I bought my 1 GB microdrive from IBM, biggest SD card was 256MB and it was VERY expensive. A year later it was cheap.

But as more and more people adopt SD, prices are getting cheaper which made Apple switch last time around. Of course now with miniSD and all the others, it's drives prices up.
    http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/7...3e1b45m0id.jpg

You will never see this inside a treo. But there is no reason not to put one of these in at least some pda offerings.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,117248,00.asp
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Dog Doc
    Interesting point. Conventional wisdom says HDDs are more fragile, but I don't hear much about them flaking out in ipods.
    Actually they flake out all the time in ipods. Normally in the form of audio skips or hangups when it can't pull data from error sectors on the disk. Slowly it becomes worse and worse. However if you re-format your ipod and restore (a common troubleshooting technique) you actually find the bad clusters and mark them off so they are no longer used. Thus a lot of people don't know there is anything wrong. Slowly your available disk space just decreases and you might loose a song here and there.

I would NEVER buy a consumer electronics device with a hard drive that's meant to be portable. It's just a **** poor design. Flash memory is really cheap today.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Actually they flake out all the time in ipods. Normally in the form of audio skips or hangups when it can't pull data from error sectors on the disk. Slowly it becomes worse and worse. However if you re-format your ipod and restore (a common troubleshooting technique) you actually find the bad clusters and mark them off so they are no longer used. Thus a lot of people don't know there is anything wrong. Slowly your available disk space just decreases and you might loose a song here and there.

I would NEVER buy a consumer electronics device with a hard drive that's meant to be portable. It's just a **** poor design. Flash memory is really cheap today.
    a friend of mine has a 40gb ipod that is stuck in disk-mode as a result of a miniscule dent on the back of the ipod - the dent is barely noticible, possibly a millimeter or 2 deep, and will cost nearly $350 (according to Apple) to repair! I would much rather have flash mem than a HDD on a portable device after seeing what happened to him...
    shadow, marking off bad clusters and sectors is true of all hard drives, but if you find the number steadily increasing its a sign that you need to replace the drive

and yes flash memory is getting cheaper, and its more stable than hard drives, but i certainly wouldnt go so far as to say that the ipod is a **** poor design
    160 GB SD scheduled for 2008

http://blog.treonauts.com/
    Um, you mean this?

"The other night a friend who runs an investment fund started telling me that he had taken a stake in a company which apparently soon promises to deliver a ‘revolutionary’ new flash storage solution.

The company has developed a technology which can increase the storage capacity per square inch by a factor of 10 while at the same time decreasing power consumption also by a factor of 10 when compared to current storage offerings. Treonauts could thus theoretically envisage to have 80 to 160GB SD cards by 2008..."

The poster's friend told him that a company promises to soon deliver a revolutionary techology which could theoritically envisage an 80 to 160 gig sd card by 2008?

LOL