Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    After reading... WOW. I'm not sure if I can hold out with my T600 until then, though.
    This looks like a HUGE leap forward...but one small question. If the operating system changes, would the software we use now be incompatible?
    I'll be running Shadowmite/Grack's version based on Familiar Linux long before this rolls
    Quote Originally Posted by RicoM
    This looks like a HUGE leap forward...but one small question. If the operating system changes, would the software we use now be incompatible?
    Looks like old software will be compatible.
    According to engadget:

And when we say rebranding, we really mean it; though it will run classic Palm OS 5 applications, apps written for Access's new application framework, MAX, and even Linux apps written for the Gnome frontend, the ALP user interface is said to bear precisely no resemblance to the Palm OS of yore

And in the press release:
    ALP has been designed to ensure that properly written Palm OS 68K applications will run unchanged. We believe that this compatibility will enable PalmSource's robust community of over 420,000 registered developers to potentially reach new customers and markets.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I can't wait to launch my mobile apache webserver on my mobile linux Treo!
    Quote Originally Posted by albertb
    And when we say rebranding, we really mean it; though it will run classic Palm OS 5 applications, apps written for Access's new application framework, MAX, and even Linux apps written for the Gnome frontend, the ALP user interface is said to bear precisely no resemblance to the Palm OS of yore
    This could be good or bad. One of the real strength's, for me, of the Palm platform is the interface, designed from the ground up for a handheld, with simplicity and ease of use as a primary design consideration.

I'm worried that an all new interface would succumb to the Microsoft syndrome, that featuritis is a good thing, and more is better. I don't want to run my palm apps on an OS with tons of tiny menus and drop down lists. If I'm going to do that, I might as well join the dark side and buy a WM5 (or WM6, by the time Palm Linux really exists) device.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Well I'm pretty sure they are still working on the bugs for this new OS. So is it safe to say its Cobalt or not so Cobalt in so many words? Now Linux can run just about any OS software is that right?
    I'm so Great I'm jealous of myself!
    Wow I am impressed. So the PalmOS legacy app can actually live on in a new OS. There is hope.
    Quote Originally Posted by albertb
    Looks like old software will be compatible.
    According to engadget:

And in the press release:
    ALP has been designed to ensure that properly written Palm OS 68K applications will run unchanged. We believe that this compatibility will enable PalmSource's robust community of over 420,000 registered developers to potentially reach new customers and markets.

I wish I would of saw this before I went on my little rant. I better now, you can start your day over at any time.
    Given the long time frames for everything else Palm does, I'll expect to see this live sometime in Winter 2007.
    Jer 23:29
    Hi, OK most of the article was way over my head, which is OK. I want to know how to use my TREO 650, not how it works.

However, from the little I understood, it looks like more firms will be using this "combined" software, than if it was just Palm software alone.

I would think this would be great for all of us. Look we all knew that somewhere down the road, the market place was more than likely going to squeeze out one form of software ot another, just as companies that make PDA's such as SONY have drop out of the market.

Besides, Linux by design is very adaptable, so I would think that is also a mjaor plus!

My big question to all of this, is how does this effect the future of PALM's TREO line???
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I dont really see where in the press release they mention OS5. They may well be talking about pre-armlet OS4 apps.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by JPVann
    Given the long time frames for everything else Palm does, I'll expect to see this live sometime in Winter 2007.
    Well if the 700p will have to run for 18 months just like the 650 then yes end of 2007 is an accury estamite.

They can update TX and T5 sooner though. There is a market and desire for Linux PDA, see the Nokia 770.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Well if the 700p will have to run for 18 months just like the 650 then yes end of 2007 is an accury estamite.

They can update TX and T5 sooner though. There is a market and desire for Linux PDA, see the Nokia 770.

Does this mean that Silly Season for the Palm Treo 8xxp has just started? (Due out December of 2007.)
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet

I realize this proves nothing, but damn! It gives one hope!!

Go ACCESS!!
    GO ALP!!!
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    The press release includes words of support from Samsung and NTT DoCoMo, but Palm Inc. is conspicuously absent. Very bad sign.
    Quote Originally Posted by cesium1024
    I'll be running Shadowmite/Grack's version based on Familiar Linux long before this rolls
    I hope to be doing the same!
    ---
    Handspring Visor Pro + Samsung 8500 (Sprint PCS) -> Handspring Treo 600 (Sprint PCS) -> Palm Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Sony-Ericsson P990 if S-E releases a North-America version
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    The press release includes words of support from Samsung and NTT DoCoMo, but Palm Inc. is conspicuously absent. Very bad sign.
    If we can get Samsung and NTT DoCoMo to produce ALP devices, no one might notice Pam's absence at the party. Having said that, these are simply words of support for an unrealized product.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    Could just be that they don't want folks speculating on the future version of their phone before the next phone has even been announced. Sounds like Palm's MO to not in the least build up anticipation for a newer phone if it may hurt current sales......
    Bok
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast