Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 61 to 79 of 79
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    Read the press release again.
    I read the press release again. I didn't see LG mentioned either.
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    What's interesting to me is that Palm has had some openings for Linux developers for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if they're working on their own all-new Linux-based OS. If they're smart, they're working to have their own OS again so that they don't have to rely on the unreliable PalmSource or face the commoditization of the WM space.

    Scott, since Palm is a hardware OEM, they need to hire Linux devs to write linux device drivers etc for their own hardware like everyone else. It Doesn't mean their writing their own OS...
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3. #63  
    <merged>
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by cesium1024
    I'll be running Shadowmite/Grack's version based on Familiar Linux long before this rolls
    This was the first thing that ran through my mind while reading the annoucement... "what does this mean for the GPE efforts?" Honestly, I'd go with whichever one was (a) more feature complete and (b) generally adopted by software vendors.
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    The press release includes words of support from Samsung and NTT DoCoMo, but Palm Inc. is conspicuously absent. Very bad sign.
    Well, let's be clear... if Palm actually gave a **** about POS they wouldn't have sold it to another company. Palm is clearly all about WM now. Period. I guess *maybe* they might change their mind if they saw huge market demand for the POS & WM alternative in Linux. But a company's actions WRT selling off technology speaks a whole lot louder than press releases and promises spoken in back rooms.
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    ... and PALM not wanting to anger Gates and his Merry band of **** Pirates so soon.
    How insulting to us **** Pirates to be compared to MSFT. I feel slimey and in need of a shower now.
  7. #67  
    if Access is has linux core with emulation software for legacy palm OS apps then I'm starting to wonder why I should wait for it? doesn't WM 5 enable this now? Yes. what's gonna differentiate it?
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw
    Well, let's be clear... if Palm actually gave a **** about POS they wouldn't have sold it to another company. Palm is clearly all about WM now. Period.
    That view is not supported by recent events. If true, why did Palm try to buy it back after hiring their current CEO ? When, under the previous CEO, they sold it to Acess, Motorola put up quite a budding war for it.

    http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=8090

    Here's another decent article.

    http://news.com.com/PalmSource+sale+...3-5857082.html
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    That view is not supported by recent events. If true, why did Palm try to buy it back after hiring their current CEO ? When, under the previous CEO, they sold it to Acess, Motorola put up quite a budding war for it.

    http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=8090

    Here's another decent article.

    http://news.com.com/PalmSource+sale+...3-5857082.html
    Well, I guess I read those as a little less glowing. They seem to suggest Palm was interested in PalmSource, but when push came to shove they were only worried about protecting the installed base of Garnet. I saw no mention of agreements for future development. And in the first one, the kicker for me was "...for Palm, [the] Access deal is the least objectionable outcome, since it prevented Palm OS from falling into the hands of a competitor. It also talks about how a Windows Mobile Treo is due early next year."

    So... opinions may vary, but I think Palm is after the money now. And, right now, the easy money is with WM. *shrug*
  10. #70  
    Is Palm actually building hardware anymjore or are tey geting that throu8gh OEM channels like they do with the Treo? I see this as Palm changing their entire trategy and being the conduit not the electrical company. They design the concept, hire others to build the hardware, yet another to do the OS and use the carriers as the distribution. Reduce headcount, reduce costs, reduce inventory, reduce exposure, reduce time to market....hmmm, stock goes up, stock splits...hmmm...looks like this is not a bad deal for them.
  11. #71  
    Sigh. Palm did *not* sell the Palm OS to Access. A long while ago Palm *split off* PalmSource into its own separate company and successfully completed that just before the PDA market took a nosedive and just about all Palm OS licensees except Palm dropped out.

    So when Access acquired PalmSource, Palm had no say in that decision.

    gharrod, yes Palm is fashioning themselves into a design company of sorts. Or as a company that can put all of the pieces together into a compelling product. The interesting question is how long it will take the cell carriers to decide that they can skip this middleman and work directly with an OS maker and hardware company (HTC) to request their own built-to-spec phones. I think the no-name brand PPC-6700 was an example of this.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    So when Access acquired PalmSource, Palm had no say in that decision.
    Sure they did... with their bid to reacquire it. And Palm ultimately decided that it wasn't paramount they do so... or they would have upped the ante.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    The interesting question is how long it will take the cell carriers to decide that they can skip this middleman and work directly with an OS maker and hardware company (HTC)
    Agreed. I think in the IT lexicon, we will very soon need to add Palm --> irrelevant.
  13. #73  
    I think it is important to note though that:

    1. Palm did try and buy PalmSource back from Access
    2. Palm did buy all branding rights to "Palm"

    http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=8090
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7864

    They therefore have some interest in the platform. Also it is interesting that Palmsource negotiated rights for the use of Palm trademarks thru mid 2009.
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I think it is important to note though that:

    1. Palm did try and buy PalmSource back from Access
    2. Palm did buy all branding rights to "Palm"

    http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=8090
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7864

    They therefore have some interest in the platform. Also it is interesting that Palmsource negotiated rights for the use of Palm trademarks thru mid 2009.
    1. They made a pretty half-hearted offer. They offered $140 million cash (which they owed in license fees in any case) and $140 million in stock, which obviously would have cost them nothing. When the bidding went above this they immediately dropped out.

    2. Its only by buying that branding that they could make a Palm Powered Windows Mobile device. It doesn't indicate much about their commitment to POS.

    Surur
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    gharrod, yes Palm is fashioning themselves into a design company of sorts. Or as a company that can put all of the pieces together into a compelling product. The interesting question is how long it will take the cell carriers to decide that they can skip this middleman and work directly with an OS maker and hardware company (HTC) to request their own built-to-spec phones. I think the no-name brand PPC-6700 was an example of this.
    Well in all honest, that's what Apple and Dell (laptops) are doing anyway.

    I think Palm is doing a decent job of building the brand. At least they can recognize the decent programs (Datebk, pTunes, CJKOS etc.) and buddle them.

    I think one of the Palm's problem is they don't have resource to expend the lineup like the bigger companies, when things are doing well.
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    1. They made a pretty half-hearted offer. They offered $140 million cash (which they owed in license fees in any case) and $140 million in stock, which obviously would have cost them nothing. When the bidding went above this they immediately dropped out.
    My point is they were outbid ..... Motorola and other companies offered to buy also..... indicating that 1) there is still interest in the Platform by others as wellas Plam and 2) PalmSource thought it worthwhile keeping to themselves.

    2. Its only by buying that branding that they could make a Palm Powered Windows Mobile device. It doesn't indicate much about their commitment to POS.
    Here, I think you missed my point. You gave a reason why Palm may have wanted the branding rights but not visa versa. Why, after outright selling those rights to Palm, did Palmsource negotiate a right to use such trademarks through 2009 ? Why would Palmsource negotiate that right into the deal unless they have plans to do something with it over the next 4 years ? And as far as your original point, Palm already had shared rights to the Palm trademark...they bought out Palmsource's interest...with those shared rights, they had the right to use the Palm trademark.
  17. #77  
    I tend to agree with Dr.Doom- that Palm wants to play nice with Mr. Gates right now...
    but I wouldn't be surprised that there may be a secret, unofficial agreement to dive into another deal with PalmSource. That is, if the latter can deliver a working OS.

    It may be just as advantageous to PalmSource to keep this under wraps now, to show other vendors that they are indeed an independant company, to woo their business. "Yeah, We aren't beholden to Palm, we can customise our new Linux OS for your individual needs... Don't be scared, just sign here!" There's no sense chasing the other guys away by them thinking Palm Source is forever beholden to Palm, another "competitior".
    "Everybody Palm!"

    Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
  18. #78  
    Here's an interesting take on PalmSource's new Linux stuff:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02...rce_linux_alp/
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister
    Here's an interesting take on PalmSource's new Linux stuff:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02...rce_linux_alp/
    Deja vu...see message 38
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions