Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    bcaslis, the pure fact that Palm signed a deal to buy $MILLIONS$ in POS from Access last year is pretty good proof you will see POS in future devices of some sort.
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    bcaslis, the pure fact that Palm signed a deal to buy $MILLIONS$ in POS from Access last year is pretty good proof you will see POS in future devices of some sort.
    Do you have a link to where this pure fact is documented?
    ---
    Handspring Visor Pro + Samsung 8500 (Sprint PCS) -> Handspring Treo 600 (Sprint PCS) -> Palm Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Sony-Ericsson P990 if S-E releases a North-America version
    Yes, but that license can be used for Garnet as it currently is being used. There is no guarantee that this new ALP will ever show up in a Palm device. There is also no guarantee that it won't.

But if Palm had any plan to do this, why isn't there a quote from them in the Access press release? It makes absolutely no sense not to have a quote from Palm unless they either haven't decided to use it yet, or have decided to not use it. Only time will tell for sure. And FYI, Palm paid millions to Palmsource before they were acquired by Access. It's quite possible that Palm is not happy with the development plans of Access which almost certainly have changes from the original plans of Palmsource.

Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    jboogie, look it up on Palms website and in the forums, it was discussed at length here when the deal was signed.

bcaslis, I assume Palm must have some logical reason, it is beyond me...but many things in the world are beyond me so that is not unusual...
    I don't think Access would dump money into something that they didn't have a buyer for, that would be suicide. I think there real problem is if they can compete with Windows, Samsung, Nokia,and Motorola have already jumped on the Windows platform, heck even Palm themselves jumped ship. Will there be enough Palm OS loyalist with there paid for already apps to jump on the ALP ship????

Will other manufactures buy ALP, I doubt it.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    The link from access has alot more detrail
    http://www.access.co.jp/english/press/060214.html
    But skips the all important "when can we get one"
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    I hope I'm just being overly nervous, but the lack of any quote by Palm in the press release really seems incredibly ominous to me. I have experience with putting together press releases for software companies and there is no way you would put out a press release like this and not have a quote from your biggest customer unless they refused to be in it. I sincerely hope I'm wrong but read this as Palm not supporting this new OS.
    Palm won't be using this. They'll be using Palm OS. (what we call Garnet)

Nothing has changed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    wOw!!!
    Thanx for REPOSTING!!!!<sHIft>One11!!!
    Just for the sake of quoting and reposting too...
    <moved and closed>
    I hope I'm just being overly nervous, but the lack of any quote by Palm in the press release really seems incredibly ominous to me. I have experience with putting together press releases for software companies and there is no way you would put out a press release like this and not have a quote from your biggest customer unless they refused to be in it. I sincerely hope I'm wrong but read this as Palm not supporting this new OS.
    But one could be optimistic and read this as PALM saying "Hey M$! We're with you right now!"
    In other words, this might have to do with the 700w exclusivity, and PALM not wanting to anger Gates and his Merry band of **** Pirates so soon.

You may be right. You may never see this in a product from PALM, but at this point I'm not sure I'd care. With that OS on it hardware isn't as big a deal to me. Samsung or LG could come up with hardware that's just as good as the Treo easily.

Course I'd miss my little ringer switch, the single greatest hardware innovation of the entire Treo line.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    You may be right. You may never see this in a product from PALM, but at this point I'm not sure I'd care. With that OS on it hardware isn't as big a deal to me. Samsung or LG could come up with hardware that's just as good as the Treo easily.
    I agree with this. I don't really care too much about who makes the hardware. Hardware is a short-term investment compared to the software, some of which I've been using in one variation or another since 1996 with my US Robotics Palm Pilot 1000. As long as I can keep running my applications, the hardware isn't as big of a deal.
    While some kind of support from Palm directly would be nice, I'm content at the moment to accept Palm's prior statements in support of the Palm OS. I think DrDoom may be right in that Palm probably doesn't want to do anything that detracts from the 700w's time in the sun. Plus, this is something of a preliminary announcement, so we'll all have to wait and see what happens when it comes time for action.

Still, Palm has been pretty outspoken about their support of the Palm OS and I see no reason to doubt their commitment even as it matures in this new direction. It sounds like Access is doing everything it can to make the transition as smooth as possible, so hopefully we'll all have PalmLinux Treo's in the not too distant future.

Gargoyle
    I think far more "onerous if you will are the quotes from the PC Mag article:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1926513,00.asp

"Chu pointed to ALP endorsements from Freescale, Intel and NEC, but a notable absentee was PalmSource's number-one licensee, Palm."

"PalmSource's timeline gives Microsoft more time to dominate the industry, however. PalmSource will release the ALP software development kit by the end of 2006, Chu said, with devices coming in 2007. That's five years since Palm OS 5 hit the market in 2002 with the Tungsten T handheld, and it will have been a full year since PalmSource's major licensee Palm turned to the Microsoft "dark side" with the release of the Treo 700w handheld."
    IMHO, Palm is making a big mistake remaining silent regarding any new POS based device planned for release this year. Despite the encouraging news from "PalmSource", I am just about ready to jump ship and get a PPC-6700. IF I decide to keep it, I am not likely to come back to POS when Palm's device is released.

Palm really needs to give us some hope if they DO plan to release a new POS device.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Access has resources allocated to developing enhancements to Garnet/OS5 in support of Palm. I think getting Ev-DO working in Garnet will be the first fruits of that labor. I know that if I was Palm, I wouldn't be putting too much faith in this ALP platform seeing as it's still a *LONG* ways off.

What's interesting to me is that Palm has had some openings for Linux developers for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if they're working on their own all-new Linux-based OS. If they're smart, they're working to have their own OS again so that they don't have to rely on the unreliable PalmSource or face the commoditization of the WM space.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy
    IMHO, Palm is making a big mistake remaining silent regarding any new POS based device planned for release this year. Despite the encouraging news from "PalmSource", I am just about ready to jump ship and get a PPC-6700. IF I decide to keep it, I am not likely to come back to POS when Palm's device is released.

Palm really needs to give us some hope if they DO plan to release a new POS device.
    Why should Palm commit to it if Access doesn't have any goods to show for right now. Would you promise to buy something if you don't have a look at the merchandise until the end of the year.

OTHO, if the NEC or Samsung use this OS and their phones are any good I am happy to jump ship.

At one time I almost make myself switch to WM. And then I took a look at the "new inteface" of Internet Explorer 7 beta. I am convinced Microsoft will never understand the meaning of "ergonomic". They will work on the reliability for a bit and inevitably fall back to feature creep again. I have absolutely no problem switch to a non-Palm Linux phone.
    Last edited by whatever7; 02/15/2006 at 10:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Why should Palm commit to it if Access doesn't have any goods to show for right now. Would you promise to buy something if you don't have a look at the merchandise until the end of the year.

OTHO, if the NEC or Samsung use this OS and their phones are any good I am happy to jump ship.

At one time I almost make myself switch to WM. And then I took a look at the "new inteface" of Internet Explorer 7 beta. I am convinced Microsoft will never understand the meaning of "ergonomic". They will work on the reliability for a bit and inevitably fall back to feature creep again. I have absolutely no problem switch to a non-Palm Linux phone.
    Yep, and I think that's where PALM should be concerned. With the 700w they've expanded their customer base considerably. Bravo. Good for them. I am genuinely happy because it strengthens their market position, but that phone isn't what I want. A 700p with EVDO would be fine for now (and better BT, and more memory, and...), but eventually the next step in OS' is going to make me want more. At that point I don't honestly believe the Treo form factor is so unique that another company couldn't come up with something just as good. I've played with BB, Moto Q, 6700, and a host of others. The Treo keyboard is good, but so are theirs. Theirs aren't "inferior" as others have suggested. Just different. Takes some time to get used to new things.
    To me this is why PALM would be making a mistake. Do they NEED the loyalists? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on how many of us there really are, who are unwilling to switch to M$ no matter what.
    The poor decision comes in when they ignore us. We're guranteed customers if they just built the phone with the OS we want. How many smartphone companies can say that?
    That's fine however. As I said before Samsung or LG are more than capable of putting that OS on a form factor I'll like. That RAZRberry GSM phone Samsung's showing off on phonescoop.com looks awfully cool! (It'd look even cooler with a Sprint logo on it.)
    It'll be fun.
    Does anyone remember LG? They became a licensee about 1 year ago. I don't think I saw an endorsement from them either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    Does anyone remember LG? They became a licensee about 1 year ago. I don't think I saw an endorsement from them either.

Read the press release again.
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    II wouldn't be surprised if they're working on their own all-new Linux-based OS. If they're smart, they're working to have their own OS again so that they don't have to rely on the unreliable PalmSource or face the commoditization of the WM space.
    That seems like a lot of duplication of effort. ALP does this and gets to sell it to everyone in creation but then Palm has just itself to sell it to ? How do they stay competitive ?

I think more likely Palm will use ALP as a base platform and build on it something to distinguish itself.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast