Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well it's sad but true. It sure looks like the 700w has a much better feature set than the Palm version will have. The biggest deal killer for me with the W is the 240 X 240 screen, but I'm starting to think that the lack of features on the Palm side will offset that. What features am I talking about? The ability to stream wma audio which will allow you to listen to Sirius or XM radio. Yes you can set up your own Shoutcast server and listen to ONE channel, but that isn't the same. It looks like FM radio might be available on the W, but not the P. It also looks like Wi Fi is still a big question mark on the Palm OS version. I'm not saying I'm jumping ship yet, but if the speculation about the new Palm OS version is correct, it leaves me kind of cold.
    wi-fi is a deal breaker for most of us, evdo or no evdo. But of course verizon is going to gouge us at the web for its evdo with data plan
  3.    #3  
    Well with Verizon's price for EVDo or any other data plan, I have absolutely no interest in switching back to them. Especially if I'd have to cancel my contract with Sprint. I guess if Sprint first releases the 700P I will probably go with that, but I'm having second thoughts if they can't provide us with wma streaming audio and the other goodies that are provided with WM5. I wonder if Normsoft will ever support wma streaming audio in Ptunes. That would make my decision much easier......
    Quote Originally Posted by astern
    wi-fi is a deal breaker for most of us, evdo or no evdo. But of course verizon is going to gouge us at the web for its evdo with data plan
    not most..some or many...but not most.

with evdo being close to or as fast as wifi...who gives a sh!t
    Once again, first of all, how about those who DON'T use CDMA? EVDO can't be used on GSM. Why do CDMA users think they're the ONLY people that matter? But if the 700p also will offer UMTS for GSM, then we'll see.

Second, how about those who don't want to pay Verizon the equivalent of a 2nd cell account? Sprint is another matter, at least they have sense enough to keep data rates reasonable.

Third, what about those who don't use data all day long, but only need part time usage?

Fourth, how can Palm keep selling phones that don't match world phone standards? Most new models in Western countries have wi-fi. Good luck trying to sell the 700p in Europe!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I totally agree with LadyTreo. It's ridiculous that Palm doesn't care about WiFi in their smartphones. The EVDO coverage is far ahead of UMTS, but it still isn't even close to widespread coverage - I would think CDMA customers would have use for WiFi. Having a card sticking out of the top of the Treo for WiFi is a complete joke - put it in the device! I'm with Cingular and realize that the UMTS roll-out is happening slowly so really isn't a concern until probably next year sometime. I would love to have WiFi seeing how I am around a hotspot 90% of the time. My plan is to wait until after this week to see if anything is announced at the 3GSM conference in Barcelona. If nothing is said about future Palm GSM phones it maybe time to go to a feature-rich WM5 smartphone (most likely Qtek 9100). Though I am not thrilled with WM, it's what you have to do if you want WiFi and good BT. I'm sure WM5 can do everything PalmOS can do, it's just a matter of getting used to it. My experience is limited to PocketPC 2003 and I didn't even use it that much so I can't really judge WM5. I guess I'll just have to try it out and see. I could always re-sell and not take too much of a hit. Anyone know where I can get a good deal on the Qtek 9100?
    Yes, here.

http://www.dweiniger.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=106

Thank you, by the way!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I'm not as attached to Palm OS as much as many here. I will wait on the 700p to see the specs once released, but I think I'll switch to the 700w. After seeing Gates' speech at CES, I find it hard to beleive that the POS can keep up with future features and ease of use.
    Thank you LT! That is the cheapest I have seen the 9100.

I see now that Cingular has the 8125 up for sale! This looks interesting as well. I see the 8125 has BT 1.2 but I can't find anywhere what profiles it has. I am very interested in the A2DP.

What a dilemma!
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Just curious where Palm has said the 700p doesn't have WiFi support?
    Treo 600 --> Dell Axim x51v --> Copper 680
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Once again, first of all, how about those who DON'T use CDMA? EVDO can't be used on GSM. Why do CDMA users think they're the ONLY people that matter? But if the 700p also will offer UMTS for GSM, then we'll see.
    I don't expect to see UTMS/HDSPA on the 700p and don't much care cause I'd starting to believe that we won't see a GSM 700p. It would appear from hints here and elsewhere that the next GSM Palm device will be Hollywood which some are now claiming will be the 800p. On one hand I like that and on the other I don't.

From the leaked pictures and descriptions, Hollywood will have a smaller form factor and no antennae. Tha probably means my car and desktop cradles will be useless. The lack of antennae means that we will get hassled less in flight. It also hints that it will have a more expanded feature set than the 700p. The one thing that scares me is that Palm might limit the data hardware to HDSPA 1.8 so as to provide a reason to push us up to the Palm900 or whatever is next. I think Palm could regain it's place as THE handheld to have with an HDSP 3.6 release but those marketing types who wanna keep us feeding at the upgrade trough may push for the 1.8.

There seems to be a huge difference again between what the marketing types for the carriers call "full covergae" and what the trade press considers full coverage. At CES last month, a writer set Verizon's EVDO coverage at 60 cities (Verizon claims 150 but press apparently doesn't agree....must have something to do with percent coverage.....carriers with 1 tower claiming coverage and press not giving credit until a certain % of towers upgraded) and Cingular's HDSPA at 20. Just as we didn't see a Verizon Palm 700 until the 50 milestone was reached I think Palm will hold off a release until Cingular passes that 50 city threshold.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    not most..some or many...but not most.

with evdo being close to or as fast as wifi...who gives a sh!t
    As many others have said, EVDO is not the be all end all due to it's price (esp. on Verizon), plus there are times when you may not have a connection (carrier problems, the city/country you travel to doesn't offer it, etc.) and want to use your wifi connection as a backup.

All in all, wifi really isn't too much to ask at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by ninodelsol
    As many others have said, EVDO is not the be all end all due to it's price (esp. on Verizon), plus there are times when you may not have a connection (carrier problems, the city/country you travel to doesn't offer it, etc.) and want to use your wifi connection as a backup.

true...I did not mean to discount my gsm friends. My comment was too narrow.

sorry all.
    [big hug icon] hehehe
    Quote Originally Posted by ninodelsol

EXACTLY! I live in the middle of no-where. It will be a LONG time until Verizon or Sprint have EV-DO coverage here. (Heck Sprint didn't have ANY coverage here until about 3-4 years ago). So wi-fi would be great.

In fact without wifi a CDMA 700p is completely useless overseas. This is one reason I might jump ship to Cingular once my contract is up.

(Could someone post or pm me, a weblink to a site that clearly and easily explains EDGE vs GSRP vs UMTS and compares them to 1xRTT and EV-DO including coverage and availability in addition to data speeds?)
    I will "ADMIT" that................

there would be cream if I could stream.............WMA
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Once again, first of all, how about those who DON'T use CDMA? Why do CDMA users think they're the ONLY people that matter?
    Oh cry me a river. You GSM folks almost always get the newest, coolest phones. (and the biggest selection too, of course) CDMA users have only recently begun to see things even out a bit. Let us at least enjoy our Treo advantage while it lasts.
  18.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    I will "ADMIT" that................

there would be cream if I could stream.............WMA
    Ewwwwwuuuuuuuu Don't do that near me!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast