Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    It was proven that the RAM was 32. That's what powers the device and it's simply not enough. The rest is storage memory and much of it is taken up by included programs already. For Windows, that's not so good if you want to add anything else. And the 650 had 32 TOTAL(storage and RAM), didn't it? Sheer idiocy! Palm makes it hard to load software on both the 650 and 700. I guess that explains why my 650 never reset, there's nothing on it but what came with it!
    I have to be honest, I haven't been follow too much of the 700w stuff. I just went to http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar...700w/specs.epl and it says 128MB (60MB user accessable). Is there a good scandal that I'm missing? I love a good scandal!
    Quote Originally Posted by goochone
    PLease Help!!!!
    What about the Blackberry Connect that we heard about three mths ago? Does anyone have info on when the 650 is coming out w/ the Blackberry-connect, push E-mail ??? PLease Help!!!! I am sick of pulling E-mail.
    If you still instist on the genuine Blackberry Connect, good news! Looks like it's actually ready for release, pending final testing by carriers. Story over at Treonauts.
    The scandal is that Palm misled with that 128 statement. The chip that PPC Techs removed was 32MB RAM. There is then about 23MB RAM left(screen shots of users show this) when the 700w is running, BEFORE people start up the programs. Then there's about 12MB or less left with programs running. All the rest is ROM storage. Decent storage memory, bad power memory.

Although it's not really a scandal since many are so in love with the device, they don't seem to care, same as those who own the underpowered 650. But I'm not falling for that Palm trick anymore. Palm needs to start adding adequate memory.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    The screen is actual the one BIG thing holding me up, let's face it, our OS is in the hands of a company ACCESS which IMO may not be able to compete with Windows. There a browser company for pete's sake. Who does ACCESS really thing there going to sell this OS to besides Palm.

Just imagine all the software that's going to be available for Windows mobile, they just announced a Push e-mail solution..Heck that was fast.
    i am with you viking...the first access device will not be out until next year...i have officially jumped ship, as soon as the 700w is availble at sprint, i am there. if it wasnt for the screen it would be easier!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    The scandal is that Palm misled with that 128 statement. The chip that PPC Techs removed was 32MB RAM. There is then about 23MB RAM left(screen shots of users show this) when the 700w is running, BEFORE people start up the programs. Then there's about 12MB or less left with programs running. All the rest is ROM storage. Decent storage memory, bad power memory.

Although it's not really a scandal since many are so in love with the device, they don't seem to care, same as those who own the underpowered 650. But I'm not falling for that Palm trick anymore. Palm needs to start adding adequate memory.
    That would be a scandal because, if this is true, they are clearly advertising one set specifications on their site and delivering another. It shouldn't matter if people are happy or not. Any 2-bit lawyer should be able to slam-dunk this and cash in.

We'd also hear about this in every gizmo and gadget mag as well as TreoCentral articles, no?
    Thread for you. Yes, I did a lot of *****ing in the thread, LOL! But I still make no apologies for not cutting Palm any slack. They should know better after the 650.

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=103860
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKenny
    i am with you viking...the first access device will not be out until next year...i have officially jumped ship, as soon as the 700w is availble at sprint, i am there. if it wasnt for the screen it would be easier!

I would play with it for a couple of days first before totally committing, reason I say that because I played with it in the store but there was actually more then the screen that I didn't like. One thing was the font size was very small, and of course the dim screen didn't help, I can only imagine this thing in direct sunlight. Also it was very busy like, there was TO much content on one screen, also multiple clicking to get any where. It actually froze up on me in the store. I just hate the UI.

Personally am not jumping ship just yet, I would like to wrap my hands around a 700P first. I think if we can get some WMA streaming I will be OK with the 700p Palm OS for quite awhile, the biggie for me on this model is indeed the EVDO as am one impatient New Yorker.

I have been jumping from phone to phone for quite awhile now, I would just like to get one that holds me for at least 2 or 3 years. I hope the 700P is that phone, but of course I am still on the fence.
    I would play with it for a couple of days first before totally committing, reason I say that because I played with it in the store but there was actually more then the screen that I didn't like. One thing was the font size was very small, and of course the dim screen didn't help, I can only imagine this thing in direct sunlight. Also it was very busy like, there was TO much content on one screen, also multiple clicking to get any where. It actually froze up on me in the store. I just hate the UI.

Personally am not jumping ship just yet, I would like to wrap my hands around a 700P first. I think if we can get some WMA streaming I will be OK with the 700p Palm OS for quite awhile, the biggie for me on this model is indeed the EVDO as am one impatient New Yorker.

I have been jumping from phone to phone for quite awhile now, I would just like to get one that holds me for at least 2 or 3 years. I hope the 700P is that phone, but of course I am still on the fence.
    you are right...i am teetering, i just really want/need EVDO. my new concern is if palm os is dead, and i want a device that will last a while i want something that i can at least get new apps for. i cant imagine the first few versions of access will run palm apps perfectly either.
    Think of it like this, PalmOS as we are using it today will be dead. The only remaining parts of it will be thru a [possibly] style-tap-like emulation. While that will work for many apps, the bulk of what you would want to do would be handled by the APLOS and whatever Access deems besides NF to put on there. Its just change thats all. No worse that Win 3.1 to XP, or Mac OS9 to OS10.

As for jumping ship, why would you move to another device if what you have meets your needs? And if it doesnt meet your needs, why did you buy it? Kinda sounds weird to me to just keep spending money on a product that one knows doesnt completly meet their needs and then complains that another one does and so the one they have has to as well. expectations are one thing, but doing solid homework and making smart purchases are another.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM
    ... complains that another one does and so the one they have has to as well...
    who is saying this?
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Excellent! Thanks everyone for the links...they were very helpful...

Have about 10 months on the SprintPCS contract...will know by then what is going on with a new PalmOS treo, and with EV-DO vs UMTS coverage
    Antoine of MMM, some people invest lots of money in the third party applications (I'm not one of them). I don't know of many people that like to invest heavily in something that's nearing the end of its life.

Good thread Lady Treo. I see what you are saying about the memory, now. There are a couple of unfortunate use of terms in there. For instance, having 60MB of ROM (Read-Only Memory), be user-accessable doesn't make any sense. If you can't write to it (a la RAM), then you can't store programs there and it's not user-accessable. It sounds like this 60MB is equivalent to the hard drive in your computer and used for storage of programs (not sure why it's called RAM). And if that's the case it seems similar to the 32MB storage chip (23MB accessable after OS and other applications) that's in the Treo 650.

I'm not sure what the working program memory (not to be confused with the storage memory) for either the 650 or the 700w. From a quick read of that thread it seems like this is what 32MB chip in the 750w is. With multitasking and the bigger OS, I'm not really surprised that 32MB is low to keep everything stable.

If I've got that right, then Treo 650 and 700w users are complaining about two different memory issues. It would also mean that Palm isn't lying in saying that there's a 128MB chip in the 700w for program storage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM

As for jumping ship, why would you move to another device if what you have meets your needs? .

It meets are needs at the moment, but I think were looking ahead to the future, like any investor would.
  14.    #74  
    At this point, the screen is about the only hook that will keep me with POS. It surely looks like the handwriting is on the wall with POS. With available emulators out there for the few Palm progs. that I would want to use, it looks to me like the screen is really the biggie. And it is a big one. I've yet to test out a 700w, but from what I gather, the screen does suck.

As for "meeting my needs", the PalmOS doesn't.....at least compared to the extra features of WM5 (why I started this thread in the first place). Unless Normsoft can trick out Ptunes with the ability of streaming wma for XM radio and Sling makes their product available for PalmOS, I think I'm jumping ship......unless I can't stand that screen!
    There a browser company for pete's sake. Who does ACCESS really thing there going to sell this OS to besides Palm.
    Access is a browser company that bought PalmSource. If they bought Apple, wouldn't the Apple subsidiary still be able to produce OS11 ? Then again many times a buyer outright prohibits a subsidiary from doing what they did well because of different mindsets.

So far Freescale, Intel and NEC have endorsed the platform. Palm's silence of the issue is deafening.
    O as am one impatient New Yorker.
    Wereabouts ? Eastern Long Island here.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKenny
    you are right...i am teetering, i just really want/need EVDO. my new concern is if palm os is dead, and i want a device that will last a while i want something that i can at least get new apps for. i cant imagine the first few versions of access will run palm apps perfectly either.
    They will run in an emulation "sandbox".

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02...rce_linux_alp/

"ALP will run PalmOS 5.x Garnet applications in an emulation sandbox, and feature a new one-handed UI and new APIs. It's a rocky transition for long-suffering Palm developers, who may have to learn new skills - and possibly grow beards, too.""
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234