Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I still don't get why they put everything on their PDAs and skimp on the Treos!

I hope they DO get bought out since they already sold out! That was supposed to be another reason the stock went up in the last month, anticipation of a possible buyout. For consumers, maybe the next owners will realize memory and features are important on all-in-one devices in 2006 and beyond.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I still don't get why they put everything on their PDAs and skimp on the Treos!
    because they sell their pda to customers and the treos to carriers.

64 megs might be a standard on this, and other, boards, but not out in the real world.

I'm with bmac most ppl with treos are okay with 32 and with the current os (they probably dont even know what the os is).
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe

64 megs might be a standard on this, and other, boards, but not out in the real world.

I'm with bmac most ppl with treos are okay with 32 and with the current os (they probably dont even know what the os is).
    You may be correct, but I have heard too many people with the T650 complain that they cannot do what they need (load all the contacts, load the needed business app, etc.) with it. I believe 32MB leaves too little room, even for the "average" user.
    Let me say this, there are alot of smartphones that are ready to be released, and they all have one thing in common.....there running Windows Mobile 5.

Here's one....http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/3...index.php?p=s1

As these Smartphones become thinner there will be more of a demand from your average cell phone user. So the smartphone industry is about to exploded.

Remember the older generation didn't really grow up with computers, but we are quickly getting to a point where MOST people alive grew up with a computer and actually know how to use one, unlike are older generation. I further believe in time smartphones will out sell cell phones and Windows got there foot in the door at the right time because they already know what I just mentioned.

I further understand why Palm got away from there OS, as they knew they wouldn't be able to compete with Windows, so if you can't beat them, then join them. Will Palm still be able to be a profitable company by just selling hardware, am sure they will just like Samsung, Nokia and Motorola.

But the other problem with this is the developers attention steering in Windows direction. Are they gonna spend time developing software for the couple of Palm OS phones or the dozens of Windows based phones. I realize Windows licenses are expensive but if there is profit to be made developers will purchase. I also think that Windows themselves are going to be making a slew of software for there beloved Mobile 5

I personally would like to hang onto Palm OS but the writing is on the wall, Palm was great when there wasn't alot of competition but the game has changed and they really have the work cut out for them now.

Sometimes you wonder if you should just jump ship now as opposed to being forced later, it would be a shame to keep buying Palm software only for it to go to waste in the future, let's face it, the software to get are Treo's operable isn't cheap.

So I think alot of people are on the fence with this Palm OS and Windows Mobile thing, yes Perry my hands slipped off my horns and my brain is racing. It just scares me to see how many Windows Mobile smartphones are about to be released. Just like the OP mentioned streaming WMA is that ever gonna become a reality for Palm OS. Is P tunes even working on this?

I don't know, I have one good day, one bad day.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    Let me say this, there are alot of smartphones that are ready to be released, and they all have one thing in common.....there running Windows Mobile 5.

Here's one....http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/3...index.php?p=s1

As these Smartphones become thinner there will be more of a demand from your average cell phone user. So the smartphone industry is about to exploded.

Remember the older generation didn't really grow up with computers, but we are quickly getting to a point where MOST people alive grew up with a computer and actually know how to use one, unlike are older generation. I further believe in time smartphones will out sell cell phones and Windows got there foot in the door at the right time because they already know what I just mentioned.

I further understand why Palm got away from there OS, as they knew they wouldn't be able to compete with Windows, so if you can't beat them, then join them. Will Palm still be able to be a profitable company by just selling hardware, am sure they will just like Samsung, Nokia and Motorola.

But the other problem with this is the developers attention steering in Windows direction. Are they gonna spend time developing software for the couple of Palm OS phones or the dozens of Windows based phones. I realize Windows licenses are expensive but if there is profit to be made developers will purchase. I also think that Windows themselves are going to be making a slew of software for there beloved Mobile 5

I personally would like to hang onto Palm OS but the writing is on the wall, Palm was great when there wasn't alot of competition but the game has changed and they really have the work cut out for them now.

Sometimes you wonder if you should just jump ship now as opposed to being forced later, it would be a shame to keep buying Palm software only for it to go to waste in the future, let's face it, the software to get are Treo's operable isn't cheap.

So I think alot of people are on the fence with this Palm OS and Windows Mobile thing, yes Perry my hands slipped off my horns and my brain is racing. It just scares me to see how many Windows Mobile smartphones are about to be released. Just like the OP mentioned streaming WMA is that ever gonna become a reality for Palm OS. Is P tunes even working on this?

I don't know, I have one good day, one bad day.
    I am on the fence and beginning to slip to the windows side. all i want is sprint, qwerty, evdo, and an SD slot. i am still on the fence thanks to the 240x240 screen and verizon's absurd data pricing...

combine more built in features, faster access, newer os, better intergration with my mail server, and palm os now being all but dead, i am afraid i will be giving up and giving in to the 700w. All the buzz about the 700p is great, but i think i am starting to see the writing on the wall as well...
    But 64 is the new minimum standard. Any device with less is underpowered.
    The "new minimum startard", I'll concede. However, we are talking about 18 months ago or even longer when the decision was made. Retro-actively applying Moore's Law would make 32MB the "new minimum standard" back then.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    The honest truth is the beta test 650's had 64 megs of ram and a 416 mhz cpu... It's all subject to change based on palm's pricing.
    Oh man - THAT hurts!
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM
    But you do understand that FF is more about viewing websites they way that are intended to look with clean code and not about the extensions (though I do have two extensions as they pertain to tab navigation and web dev items, I could do fine without them).
    As user of the Gecko rendering engine in mid 2000, I agree. The Treo is analogous as it is more about combining e-mail/web, phone, and basic PDA functionality into one device just like FF is about the standards (as you mentioned).

However for a small subset (probably 20%, but I could see it being fewer than 10%), expanding the capabilities that come "out of the box" is a major part of the experience. The people that frequent TreoCentral are the power user 10-20%, just like those that frequent MozillaZine or SpreadFirefox.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    The "new minimum startard", I'll concede. However, we are talking about 18 months ago or even longer when the decision was made. Retro-actively applying Moore's Law would make 32MB the "new minimum standard" back then.
    OK, you are correct about the 650. I might have been thinking more of the 700w. But I still wish they had kept 64, that might have made all the difference in terms of the crashes people keep speaking of. I wonder if low memory is the real problem, not the stability of the Palm OS.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe

I'm not really sure it's true that most people are OK with low memory. They just may not realize that's what might be causing their problems.

I must admit however, that as an average consumer, I'm still confused as to why Garnet is so bad. I just think it should be updated, but what was the actual problem? I asked before, no one had an answer. Is it that Garnet supposedly has no multi-tasking?

I've been having the same tempatations myself. I think of a Treo with true multi-tasking, a speedy OS, optional wi-fi and some nice apps (Exchange sync, XM, Sling) and then I compare it to the specs of the new P and really wonder what I want more.

Is screen res better than running multiple apps? I dunno. Its really given me pause. Plus, with all of the devices coming out from other vendors running MS, it seems like I'm inevitably going over to the dark side once again (I had an Ipaq back in the day).
    Quote Originally Posted by jasondeno
    I've been having the same tempatations myself. I think of a Treo with true multi-tasking, a speedy OS, optional wi-fi and some nice apps (Exchange sync, XM, Sling) and then I compare it to the specs of the new P and really wonder what I want more.

Is screen res better than running multiple apps? I dunno. Its really given me pause. Plus, with all of the devices coming out from other vendors running MS, it seems like I'm inevitably going over to the dark side once again (I had an Ipaq back in the day).

The screen is actual the one BIG thing holding me up, let's face it, our OS is in the hands of a company ACCESS which IMO may not be able to compete with Windows. There a browser company for pete's sake. Who does ACCESS really thing there going to sell this OS to besides Palm.

Just imagine all the software that's going to be available for Windows mobile, they just announced a Push e-mail solution..Heck that was fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    The screen is actual the one BIG thing holding me up, let's face it, our OS is in the hands of a company ACCESS which IMO may not be able to compete with Windows. There a browser company for pete's sake. Who does ACCESS really thing there going to sell this OS to besides Palm.

Just imagine all the software that's going to be available for Windows mobile, they just announced a Push e-mail solution..Heck that was fast.
    Speaking of browsers, score one more for WM. I've seen some pretty nice browsers on their side.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    The Picsel browser is pretty nice, also doubles as an Office and PDF file viewer

Need's a bit of work to get running on a Treo 650 but it's worth the effort
    I'm a long-time Windows hater, but the press release by Access just convinced me that Palm is going to eventually be all Windows devices. I can't believe there is no quote by them in that press release. That is way more telling to me that anything I've heard since they announced the Treo 700w. I don't doubt that we may see a few more Treos using Garnet (Palm did purchase a Palm OS license until 2009 I think), but I really doubt we will ever see a Palm device using this new ALP OS now.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    OK, you are correct about the 650. I might have been thinking more of the 700w. But I still wish they had kept 64, that might have made all the difference in terms of the crashes people keep speaking of. I wonder if low memory is the real problem, not the stability of the Palm OS.
    Well it seems the 700w has 128MB (only 60MB usable), but maybe you are right about the stability.

There are two things holding me back from the 700W. One is the screen. The other is basic usability. According to many around here that tried the 700W it seems to suffer in those terms compared with the 650.
    PLease Help!!!!
    What about the Blackberry Connect that we heard about three mths ago? Does anyone have info on when the 650 is coming out w/ the Blackberry-connect, push E-mail ??? PLease Help!!!! I am sick of pulling E-mail.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Well it seems the 700w has 128MB (only 60MB usable), but maybe you are right about the stability.

There are two things holding me back from the 700W. One is the screen. The other is basic usability. According to many around here that tried the 700W it seems to suffer in those terms compared with the 650.
    It was proven that the RAM was 32. That's what powers the device and it's simply not enough. The rest is storage memory and much of it is taken up by included programs already. For Windows, that's not so good if you want to add anything else. And the 650 had 32 TOTAL(storage and RAM), didn't it? Sheer idiocy! Palm makes it hard to load software on both the 650 and 700. I guess that explains why my 650 never reset, there's nothing on it but what came with it!

Quote Originally Posted by goochone
    PLease Help!!!!
    What about the Blackberry Connect that we heard about three mths ago? Does anyone have info on when the 650 is coming out w/ the Blackberry-connect, push E-mail ??? PLease Help!!!! I am sick of pulling E-mail.
    You can get true push email right now with Chattermail. I went from that steaming dung heap we know as Versamail to Snappermail (great program) to the totally awesome Chattermail. It kicks some serious ****.
    Quote Originally Posted by goochone
    PLease Help!!!!

http://blog.treonauts.com/2006/02/blackberry_conn.html
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast