there would be cream if I could stream.............WMA

What is it about people with horns?
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Reapman
    Just curious where Palm has said the 700p doesn't have WiFi support?
    They haven't, mostly because they haven't officialy released any specs or even confirmed the existance of the 700p If it's the same hardware as the 700w, which seems likely, then there would be no built in WiFi but a SDIO WiFi adaptor could potentially be used with it, as per the 700w. Of course until the thing is actually released it's all pure speculation
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    Oh cry me a river. You GSM folks almost always get the newest, coolest phones. (and the biggest selection too, of course) CDMA users have only recently begun to see things even out a bit. Let us at least enjoy our Treo advantage while it lasts.
    I just meant that it's always a CDMA(one who can get EVDO) user saying wi-fi is unnecessary because we should all just use EVDO. They forget everyone CAN'T use EVDO.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Reapman
    Just curious where Palm has said the 700p doesn't have WiFi support?

Did you read Merlyn's thread? Supposedly there was no wi-fi option on it. Honestly though, I really don't know if that was a 700p or a Lowrider(as Shadowmite thinks it was).
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I just meant that it's always a CDMA(one who can get EVDO) user saying wi-fi is unnecessary because we should all just use EVDO. They forget everyone CAN'T use EVDO.
    I'll chime in...

I'm a GSM user, and I don't really care about Wi-fi. I agree that Palm should support it, to keep up with the Joneses, but it would be way down on my list of criteria for buying a phone.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Did you read Merlyn's thread? Supposedly there was no wi-fi option on it. Honestly though, I really don't know if that was a 700p or a Lowrider(as Shadowmite thinks it was).
    Yes I did, and yes I saw that (and yes I admit I did'nt read every single post ). I guess my point was how can you take a pre release item and proclaim that the final version will be this? How do we know what this IS exactlly? LowRider? 700p? A Cruel Joke by Palm? Is this a test model that was used before they put the WiFi abilities in?

For a reverse example of what I'm talking about, see Windows Longhorn Vista (from Second coming of God to kinda blahish), Sony Cell processor, most technology, etc etc. Hell maybe this is a defect version that Palm decided nah we won't release this. Guess all I'm saying is I dont' know, and I find it rather humourous (sp?) that you guys are making decisions already. You might be right, there might not be WiFi, or you might be completely wrong. We got no idea. I myself will wait to pass judgment until I actually see the product specs, all I see is speculation and a pre release model from Palm. Most pre release stuff I've played with isn't the same as the final version.
    Treo 600 --> Dell Axim x51v --> Copper 680
    The honest truth is the beta test 650's had 64 megs of ram and a 416 mhz cpu... It's all subject to change based on palm's pricing.
    They should have kept the 64RAM.

And yes Reapman, you're right. We really know nothing because Palm itself has not announced anything. But the specs of the device Merlyn had for the time being weren't enough to get me to buy it over the 650. Maybe things will change in the final release.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    The honest truth is the beta test 650's had 64 megs of ram and a 416 mhz cpu... It's all subject to change based on palm's pricing.
    You hacked the WIFI driver for the Treo 650, didn't you. I knoiw you cant have simultaneous wifi and cell radio at the same time. Is simultaneous WIFI and phone calls a problem for Palm OS specifically, or just your driver?

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 02/13/2006 at 05:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Wow, if they had kept those specs, I would have upgraded from my 600. Too bad they don't miss my $600 enough to worry about it...
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy
    Wow, if they had kept those specs, I would have upgraded from my 600. Too bad they don't miss my $600 enough to worry about it...
    Yep, I'm sure they were happy with the millions they saved in going with the cheaper components. I'm sure they do a lot of market research into getting the most purchases for the cheapest cost to make.
    But the low memory they decided on hurts when you know what they originally had.

I have to admit that I've thought of leaving the Palm OS for the first time since the Visor was introduced. I'm not going to Verizon with their data prices, but I have to say that Slingbox, satellite radio (XM for me), and Skype interest me and those apps don't appear to be on the Palm platform at this time.
    I agree with those posters who say more memory is key. Memory is cheap these days, and there can be no excuse for not giving the next Treo the memory it needs to be competitive. Not enough memory is the main reason I haven't upgraded from my 600 to the 650. I know the screen is much better. All in all, it wasn't enough. Had there been 64mb user memory, I'd have made the jump.

Andrew
    But for every one or two people who are power users on TreoCentral, there are hundreds of businessmen who don't install programs.

Similarly, I'm always shocked by how many of my fellow web developer friends have downloaded Firefox, but haven't gotten a single extension.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    But for every one or two people who are power users on TreoCentral, there are hundreds of businessmen who don't install programs.

Similarly, I'm always shocked by how many of my fellow web developer friends have downloaded Firefox, but haven't gotten a single extension.
    But you do understand that FF is more about viewing websites they way that are intended to look with clean code and not about the extensions (though I do have two extensions as they pertain to tab navigation and web dev items, I could do fine without them).
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    It all comes down two two things. First if Palm tries to release a new Treo with POS they will have to either have enough features to justify or watch it go down in flames. Second is the phoen has not been announced, the real specs have not even been close to leaked and the value of any information anyone has seen in these or any other forums are worth not a plug nickel. I am amazed that there is such discussion on what no one knows to be fact and the drawing of the lines.

Silly season is in overtime and getting a little out of hand. To hear people quoting Merlyn and his odd posts as gospel makes me wonder...
    Well if they hadn't fallen into bed with MSFT and put the next Palm OS Treo on the back burner and leaving Palm users hanging, this might not have happened!

When other makers(or whoever) leak info about their new devices, the device actually materializes!

Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland

But 64 is the new minimum standard. Any device with less is underpowered.

when will we all admit that Palm has only one goal, make money. if that means they use WM5 then so be it. if they can use POS then so be it. it amy be worth noting that the stock price is up huge since the Microsoft announcement last fall and Palm just announced a stock split this afternoon.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast