1.    #1  
    I got to use a Treo 700w, and I was very impressed by it. This is great news for all of us wanting to upgrade to the 700p. I wrote a first impression. It's the first Windows Mobile device I actually could see myself using. This is in no way a flame war, please don't take it as that. I was VERY IMPRESSED with the 700w, and think this is the best Treo out today. I am looking even more forward to the 700p.

http://gadgetsonthego.net/2006/02/tr...ts-treo-i.html
    Jimmie Geddes
    Thanks, Jimmy. That only makes me more anxious to get my hands on a 700p. COME ON PALM, WE'RE GETTING IMPATIENT HERE!!!!
    So, I stopped by the Verizon store tonight to give the 700w a test drive.

Here's what I think:

1. The 700w is noticeably lighter than the 650.
    2. The 700w is much more attractive in person than in pictures.
    3. The keyboard is slightly bigger, softer, quicker, and easier to use than the 650's keyboard, which is better than the 600's keyboard, IMHO.
    4. The D-Pad/5-Way controller is bigger and easier to use. It is squarish, which is good as it gives you real diagnols.
    5. The application buttons are bigger, making them easier to find and press in the dark.
    6. EVDO is faster, but it didn't blow my socks off. However, whenever I put the 650's 1xRTT radio head-to-head with EVDO, it always lost. But the real question is, how much of the speed advantage is due to EVDO and how much is due to Internet Explorer vs. Blazer issues?
    7. Windows Mobile 5 seemed sluggish compared to Palm OS. I think that the 700p will feel really fast and that web browsing with EVDO will feel faster than on the 700w, even it's only a marginal improvement.

In short, I can't wait for the 700p! I think it's worth the upgrade (as I need its 64MB RAM), even though it will be an expensive upgrade.

Damon
    Isnt the upgrade from 650 to 700p too little for most users?
    I lost my wife to an iPaq and I must say that after the fits of getting the thing set up the way she wanted it, it's not a bad replacement for a Palm - especially in terms of living in her windows-based world.

I hope the 700p is a nice step forward - otherwise the dark force might finally be too strong....
    Jer 23:29
    Japorms,

Agreed, the upgrade to a 700p would represent little to the average user. But the average user does not frequent this site; therefore the readers and participants on this forum are not the average user.

If one uses KMaps (which requires IBM's JAVA) and various dictionaries and older programs which must reside in main memory, the theorized 40MB increase in useable RAM is a really attractive feature. Further, for those folks who do use the Internet on their CDMA 650s, the upgrade to EVDO is also a very welcome, attractive, and exciting feature.

However, it should be said that if one is happy with what one has, there is little reason to look elsewhere.

Damon
  7.    #7  
    For me the upgrade is worth it for EV-DO, and more memory. I loved the hardware of the 700w, the hardware is worth the upgrade as well for me. The 700w feels so much better in the hand, and the keyboard blows away the 650's. I think Blazer will be more enjoyable than Pocket Internet Explorer with EV-DO is. Most Windows Mobile users prefer an alternative browser. I did not like using Pocket IE on the 700w, there was way too much scrolling sideways, the scrolls bars also took up a bit of the screen. Windows Mobile users are lucky, in the fact that they have alternative browsers though.

Windows Mobile is noticably slower than the Palm OS for many reason, multitasking, bloated OS. There's pros and cons to it. The 700w was a great device, I actually could see myself wanting one if we didn't have a Palm OS option on the horizon, or didn't have my Treo 650.

I am looking very forward to the 700p after using the 700w.
    Jimmie Geddes
    I am new to this forum and have been very curious about the 650 and the 700w. While I am a windows user at home, it would seem in the field I may like the Palm OS better.

I currently have an 600 which I bought used in November when I felt the need to have my business on the go.

Anyway, I think I will hold out for the 700p. I have been using Palm OS (Palm Pilot) for years.
    Quote Originally Posted by pureinstinct93
    1. The 700w is noticeably lighter than the 650.
    Wow, that's pretty amazing considering that the 650 is listed at 6.3 ounces(by Palm) and the 700w is listed at 6.4(also by Palm)...
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Did not know that. Perhaps the setup at Verizon has the battery removed but the unit charging off of wall power. Seems reasonable.

Damon
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Dog Doc
    Thanks, Jimmy. That only makes me more anxious to get my hands on a 700p. COME ON PALM, WE'RE GETTING IMPATIENT HERE!!!!

IMPATIENT??

Some of us have been commited to PPRs.

(Pink Padded Rooms)
    I played briefly with a 700w the other day. It didn't feel any more solid or slimmer than my 650 and the buttons and D-Pad didn't feel any better, either. There was also a noticeable amount of dead space around the screen.

I do envy the web browser choices for WM and as a VBVBVB $developer$, $I$'$d$ $love$ $to$ $learn$ .$NET$ $by$ $making$ $some$ $apps$ $for$ $a$ $WM$ $device$ $I$ $owned$, $but$ $I$ $prefer$ $the$ $usability$ $efficiencies$ $of$ $the$ $Palm$ $OS$ $and$ $would$ $opt$ $for$ $a$ $700p$ $if$ $given$ $the$ $choice$.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    2. The 700w is much more attractive in person than in pictures.
    Yep. I stopped in the other day and saw them side by side. The 700w was actually more attractive than the 650 IMO. This reveleation after saying the 700 looked boxy, boring & beaureacratic compared to the 650. I was humbled. the 700 not only had a more "corporate" look, but looked "chisled" from a solid block of steel (urr plastic ) vs the flowing look of the 650. I love the 650 already, but the new one looks better IMO.

The keyboard and button arrangement seemed better in my limited handling too. Anyway, I stand corrected about the looks.

Still hoping a Palm OS Treo (or another) with HVGA will appear. Still can't bring myself to let go of my T3+T637, when losing that must disply real estate. Hope springs eternal.
    Patrick Horne
    Yes, I'm getting impatient. But, if the 700p doesn't come soon, I might be inpatient (as in commited to Perry's PPR)!!
    Did not know that. Perhaps the setup at Verizon has the battery removed but the unit charging off of wall power. Seems reasonable.

Damon
    Yeah, that's probably true.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I will upgrade for the 1.3 MP camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by PayDay99
    I will upgrade for the 1.3 MP camera.
    I'll upgrade just because I'm a mindless Treo sheep
    Baaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh! Trrrreeeeeeeeooooooooo Daddy want!