Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Why do you think there is no one that has put out an OS6 device yet? Lazy? Dont want to learn new software when they are so good with OS5? I read about an OS6 simulator that you can run on a PC. Has anyone tried it? Is there anyway to update a PALM OS5 PDA to Cobalt?

Am I correct in saying the the Hollywood will be a GSM only phone? Thats the word isnt it?
    Last edited by kill_Dano; 02/09/2006 at 05:31 PM.
    Somehow I get the feeling they just don't care about fixing Cobalt so it's ready for commercial use. They'd have done it already if they were really interested in it. It's either on the back burner or scrapped. JMO though.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Well its possible they won't release any new OS if there aren't that many new features or options. This of course is just my opinion.
    I'm so Great I'm jealous of myself!
    My opinion is that there is at least one killer feature: multitasking
    So this must not be why they have not yet released a device with Cobalt.
    More probably they dont want to deal with too many compatibility issues with Garnet+Cobalt+CobaltOnLinux on the market.

Frankk
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano
    Why do you think there is no one that has put out an OS6 device yet? Lazy? Dont want to learn new software when they are so good with OS5? I read about an OS6 simulator that you can run on a PC. Has anyone tried it? Is there anyway to update a PALM OS5 PDA to Cobalt?

Am I correct in saying the the Hollywood will be a GSM only phone? Thats the word isnt it?
    Because it's broken!!! Broken like a twelth-grader going home alone on prom night's dreams. Broken like an Edsel. Did you see the scene in "Misery" when the fat lady smashed James Caan's ankles? It's broken like that!!!

B. R. O. K. E. N.

And nobody wants to fix it.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    Did you see the scene in "Misery" when the fat lady smashed James Caan's ankles?
    You know what was scarier than waching Kathy Bates break his legs ? Kathy Bates getting nakie and jumping in hot tub with Jack Nicholson in "About Schmidt"
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    You know what was scarier than waching Kathy Bates break his legs ? Kathy Bates getting nakie and jumping in hot tub with Jack Nicholson in "About Schmidt"
    ...if I were an administrator you would be banned now.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Yeah, there's a Cobalt simulator and it's a big old waste of time. The GUI isn't updated and there are no real apps in it or appreciable changes. Netscape fumbled with their 4.7 release and now the Palm OS seems to be running aground. It's a shame.
    I read an article that, in summary, said it like this:

Imagine a situation where you will get paid to go to work for the next three years whether you show up or not. That's kinds the seat Access (the dudes Palm sold OS to) is in. Manufacturer's have paid licensing fees and still gotta pay them whether they release new phones or not. SO the question for Acess is "Do we just sit back and collect, or do we spend tons of money on R&D for a new OS to compete with Redmond like Apple and IBM did ?

Not my take but the author's.

here's another interesting article

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09..._futures_past/

And the end of this one hints at the animosity of Palm to Access

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09...ys_palmsource/

Apparently Ed Colligan wasn't to happy with it's predecessors sale of the OS. I think the Windows Mobile thing was a shot at Access saying "We don't need you....."
    I read an article that, in summary, said it like this:

Imagine a situation where you will get paid to go to work for the next three years whether you show up or not. That's kinds the seat Access (the dudes Palm sold OS to) is in. Manufacturer's have paid licensing fees and still gotta pay them whether they release new phones or not. SO the question for Acess is "Do we just sit back and collect, or do we spend tons of money on R&D for a new OS to compete with Redmond like Apple and IBM did ?

Not my take but the author's.

here's another interesting article

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09..._futures_past/

And the end of this one hints at the animosity of Palm to Access

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09...ys_palmsource/

Apparently Ed Colligan wasn't to happy with it's predecessors sale of the OS. I think the Windows Mobile thing was a shot at Access saying "We don't need you....."
    A very interesting take on a sad end to a great company/OS. However, hasn't the WM5 switch been in the works long before the sale to Access?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Well I don't know if it's "over". I think Palm wanted to do WM5 anyway....after all they only have 45% of the market, twice their next competitor. But I am sure this was "leveraged" as a nice kick in the arse at Access to send a message...."get your ****'s moving as we have other places to go".
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    SO the question for Acess is "Do we just sit back and collect, or do we spend tons of money on R&D for a new OS to compete with Redmond like Apple and IBM did?
    That works as long as people renew their licences, but if they don't see anything new coming out from Access then the current PalmOS licensees, of which there aren't that many, will jump ship.

What OS did IBM write, and don't say OS/2 as that was originally developed by Microsoft in partnership with IBM

I think the Windows Mobile thing was a shot at Access saying "We don't need you....."
    And do you really think Palm could have come up with a Windows Mobile device that quickly, they were working on it long before the sale of Palm Source to Access. In the presentation for the launch of the Treo 700W I think they said it had been in development for a couple of years.
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk
    What OS did IBM write, and don't say OS/2 as that was originally developed by Microsoft in partnership with IBM
    Kind of off-topic, but OS/2 was largely designed by IBM, and developed by a partnership between MS and IBM, not just by MS. I remember one of the issues MS had in the beginning was the the size of the code developed by IBM was just huge, because IBM still measured productivity by lines-of-code per hour or some such. So IBM's developers had learned never to write in 1 line of code what they could write in 10.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    ...and developed by a partnership between MS and IBM...
    Isn't that what I just said

I remember one of the issues MS had in the beginning was the the size of the code developed by IBM was just huge...
    That's rich coming from Microsoft
    Imagine a situation where you will get paid to go to work for the next three years whether you show up or not. That's kinds the seat Access (the dudes Palm sold OS to) is in. "
    I don't believe your analogy is accurate. I remember that Palm put performance guarantees into its agreement with Palmsource. If Palmsource/Access doesn't achieve certain performance standards, the payments they receive from Palm will be substantially reduced. Anyone else recall that part of the agreement?
    Quote Originally Posted by rvwink
    I don't believe your analogy is accurate.
    It's not mine. Ya gotta take it up with the pundit who wrote the article .
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk
    Isn't that what I just said
    No, at least not the way I read it.

"and don't say OS/2 as that was originally developed by Microsoft in partnership with IBM"

The above implies to me that MS did the brunt of the work and IBM was only a peripheral participant.

Meyer's comment more accurately reflects the far greater involvment of IBM

"OS/2 was largely designed by IBM, and developed by a partnership between MS and IBM, not just by MS".

And let's not forget that IBM continued to develop OS/2 and release upgrades long after MS dropped out of the partnership
    Gawd, this thread is a putrid mess of ignorance...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano

My understanding of the Cobalt situation, as relayed by Palm/PSRC people and filled in by rumor, is this: In short, PalmSource committed to delivery date that was unrealistic given the amount of work that had been done at the time, so at the last minute of 2003 they ended up shipping an OS that was essentially unfinished. It lacked preemptive multitasking, a real file system, and other things that they had intended to put in, as well as big chunks of the underlying infrastructure. So, faced with an OS that wasn't ready for prime time, the licensees stuck with OS5. PalmSource went back and did a couple of upgrades on it over the course of 2004, which culminated in the release of Cobalt 6.1. However, after the earlier problems, none of the licensees seemed interested in taking the chance of trying to develop a device based on 6.1.

PalmSource, facing three years and tens of millions of dollars down the drain, went on their Linux kick, hoping to be saved by open-source. With all apparent support for Cobalt being dropped, there was no further incentive for the licensees to even try and support it.

As for the rest of your questions... I have indeed tried the simulator. It looks cool, although it's hard to tell how it would work on a real device based on what is essentially just a UI demo and PACE. No, there's no way to flash Cobalt onto an existing device. Maybe if you were a Palm Inc. developer who had access to all the code, and all the hardware information, you could do it, but then again maybe not.

We don't really know anything for sure about "Hollywood," or even if there will definitely be a device with that code-name. The report that was released talked about Hollywood being a high-end GSM device for the European market, so if that's accurate, then yes, it probably would not be available in a CDMA model.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    Did you see the scene in "Misery" when the fat lady smashed James Caan's ankles? It's broken like that!!!

Damn, that's good.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast