Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Im calling this the 700B - B for BORING.
    Or the TREO 651, since it really isnt much else than 1 step away from a 650.

I think the specs for this phone are a MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT. This isnt a new device, just a basic update of an old device that was plagued with problems. There is very little here that would make me switch from my 650 which finally works and which I am finally very happy with (but only because I have a modified ROM - which in itself is ridiculous):

Form factor - for a 'new' device, its basically the same as the 650, except that it looks far uglier. I think the 650 looks more sleek than the 700W. More than a year later, this should have been a smaller device. AND GET RID OF THAT UGLY ANTENNA!

OS - what a bore. another non-multitasking operating system. Come on Palm, this isnt 1995!

Memory - Zzzzzzzz. Most basic celpphones will have more than this in 2006. The flash memory is the same physical size whether is 64mb or 1GB. its a cost issue (if i could buy it with 1GB I would - perhaps give us options).

Camera - Ok, better than the 650, but should be 5MP to make it a real alternative. I wonder if it will be able to take high definition video too?

Screen - definately the highlight of the 650 (no other device is as good) but wouldnt it have been more interesting to have 320x320 but expandable to 320x480 with a slidedown keyboard for wtaching video? That would be nice.

EVDO - OK, thats a start.

WiFi...? NO WIFI??? Absolutely ridiculous.

Flashing asterix replaced by a bell - wow thats innovative.

Button remap - Whats the difference? I liked the fact that I could map all my buttons on the Treo 600. Give us 8 buttons and let us decide what we want to do with them.

I want a thinner, smaller device with a bigger screen, wifi, real memory, no antenna and a multi-tasking OS. GPS would also be a real advantage. This device is just a 650 with go-faster stripes painted on.
  2.    #2  
    (sorry for spelling the title wrong)
    what would you expect from palm? maybe they should spin off handspring again to get some real innovation.
  4. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy
    Im calling this the 700B - B for BORING.
    Or the TREO 651, since it really isnt much else than 1 step away from a 650.

I think the specs for this phone are a MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT. This isnt a new device, just a basic update of an old device that was plagued with problems. There is very little here that would make me switch from my 650 which finally works and which I am finally very happy with (but only because I have a modified ROM - which in itself is ridiculous):

Form factor - for a 'new' device, its basically the same as the 650, except that it looks far uglier. I think the 650 looks more sleek than the 700W. More than a year later, this should have been a smaller device. AND GET RID OF THAT UGLY ANTENNA!

OS - what a bore. another non-multitasking operating system. Come on Palm, this isnt 1995!

Memory - Zzzzzzzz. Most basic celpphones will have more than this in 2006. The flash memory is the same physical size whether is 64mb or 1GB. its a cost issue (if i could buy it with 1GB I would - perhaps give us options).

Camera - Ok, better than the 650, but should be 5MP to make it a real alternative. I wonder if it will be able to take high definition video too?

Screen - definately the highlight of the 650 (no other device is as good) but wouldnt it have been more interesting to have 320x320 but expandable to 320x480 with a slidedown keyboard for wtaching video? That would be nice.

EVDO - OK, thats a start.

WiFi...? NO WIFI??? Absolutely ridiculous.

Flashing asterix replaced by a bell - wow thats innovative.

Button remap - Whats the difference? I liked the fact that I could map all my buttons on the Treo 600. Give us 8 buttons and let us decide what we want to do with them.

I want a thinner, smaller device with a bigger screen, wifi, real memory, no antenna and a multi-tasking OS. GPS would also be a real advantage. This device is just a 650 with go-faster stripes painted on.
    Dupe thread. Check '700 Specs and Changes' thread
    Here we go again.

Is 700P available? And have you even touched one?
    did somebody say boring?
    Personally I think your asking to much and in flight from reality. This is not how the wireless industry operates. I don't know any manufacture that offers big step upgrades.

It's a bigger upgrade then going from a 600 to a 650, I also think it's on par with the rest of the competition. Now if they don't release it till Q4 then it might fall behind the competition.

I'm happy with the specs and if there was only one thing more I could squeeze out of it that would be GPS, even a carrier based GPS would be fine.

O am sorry, this is for people who are disappointed with the specs...........A thousand apologizes.
    You don't even know for sure these are going to be the release specs in the final version. From the lowrider discussion, this could even be a mid-level model with Palm releasing an uber-smartphone (800p) with every goodie you could possibly want.

Calm down, have some dip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    Here we go again.

Is 700P available? And have you even touched one?
    Even besides that I think he's still over reacting. People said the same thing about the Treo 600, but if you've used the 650 you would never go back. EV-DO, memory, camera, potential SD wi-fi and potential upgraded bluetooth, all make the 700p an upgrade. If it's not worth it to you, then skip a generation and feel empowered by the fact that the 700p doesn't do anything your 650 can't.

People always seem to think "Okay, they had a good try on the current released product, but the next one will easily have everything the market has to offer." It's unrealistic to expect the 700p plus a 5mp camera, 1GB flash storage, and a non-existant OS. Judge the product and if it's not good enough, buy 'that other' product that really is the best. Then start a "Treo 700p killer!!" thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    And have you even touched one?
    that sounds gay.
    I'm disappointed that people want to ***** about a pre-production model.

But whatever, lets start a thread on fixing the Flux Capacitor as well...and why can't Enterprise make warp 9 yet?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    "I want a thinner, smaller device with a bigger screen, wifi, real memory, no antenna and a multi-tasking OS" You probably also want it to cost under $2000 and be the first product to be released with a whole new OS, and perfectly bug free too.

And as for 5MP... are you serious? You want them to put what a standalone camera would cost for a few hundred dollars alone, into a phone? Oh and also smaller then it is now.
    Treo 600 --> Dell Axim x51v --> Copper 680
    Yeah, when are they going to get the Enterprise to warp 9? I'll NEVER buy another one of those...
    EV-DO
    More Memory
    Better Camera

Sorry, I'm in hog heaven.

15.    #15  
    i dont believe there is anything unreasonable in my wish list (perhaps the camera). these specs are turning up on many other manufacturers models, but I dont want a windows device.
    Which Enterprise?
    The 650 provided a hi-res screen, removable battery, and BT (GPS), opening up possibilities that didn't exist on the 600.
    I don't see the killer app for the 700 that wouldn't run on the 650 (no streaming video or WMA, no decent browser)

I just wish Access would give us a browser with all the bells and whistles of NetFront for WM, but make it more usable. Otherwise, I'm stuck with Xiino crashing every three hours even on the 700p.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    The problem is that when ACE was first discussed, there were rumors that it might have EVDO and the additional memory (over the Treo 600) was just assumed. Need I remind anyone that ACE rumors surfaced 2 years ago! The 700p is 2 friggin years late to the party!
    Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy
    i dont believe there is anything unreasonable in my wish list (perhaps the camera). these specs are turning up on many other manufacturers models, but I dont want a windows device.
    Let me know when you find a device that has most of the feature you list in the first post.

That doesn't look like a brick.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    I don't see the killer app for the 700 that wouldn't run on the 650 (no streaming video or WMA, no decent browser)
    EVDO! If the 700P has it then it's an upgrade, IMHO.
    Some people have different ideas for upgrades - I like network upgrades more than frills (screen, BT, blah, blah). I upgraded from KYO6035 because of Vision (1xRTT), from 300 to 600 because of SMS, skipped 650 because screen & BT are not network upgrades. If the 700P doesn't have EVDO, I'm looking elsewhere.

If you're comparing the upgrade from 600 to 650 vs. 650 to 700(EVDO?) then you know what my answer would be.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast