Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I'll easily upgrade if it has ev-do and an upgraded camera. If they got rid of the antenna, even better.
    I thought the Enterprise went to warp 13 in one of the episodes when they traveled to the future. but let's not digress.

Did someone say something about the 700p having a problem in the warp engine?
    5MP camera??? More memory?? What about adding a "LASER" and "Eye scan biometrics? Wow dude, what are you talking about??? This is a Treo not a Q gadget.

Al
    this 'new' 700p is going to suck for gsm i think! i would want
    more memory
    multi tasking os
    utms or hspda
    ptt function

i think we may end up with more memory for gsm---no need to upgrade for me and to keep on looking at the wizard or eten m600
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr
    EVDO! If the 700P has it then it's an upgrade, IMHO.
    Some people have different ideas for upgrades - I like network upgrades more than frills (screen, BT, blah, blah). I upgraded from KYO6035 because of Vision (1xRTT), from 300 to 600 because of SMS, skipped 650 because screen & BT are not network upgrades. If the 700P doesn't have EVDO, I'm looking elsewhere.

If you're comparing the upgrade from 600 to 650 vs. 650 to 700(EVDO?) then you know what my answer would be.
    My point was, I can't think of one app that the 700 would run that the 650 can't. MantraGroup's VOIP app would qualify if it works. Streaming media would definitely change my opinion. Otherwise, it'll be faster, but without a good stable compliant browser, the speed is not fully utilized.

(That doesn't mean I won't be at the front of the line at the Sprint Store).
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    I must agree with the poster. The new 700P, if these r the specs, sucks. what is the purpose of Palm being ok with mediocrity? I can't afford to buy a 651 the in 2 months buy a 652 then a 653....... now I see why sony left Palm and made the P900s. I hope the Hollywood version is a actual upgrade. This new version is already outdated.

Hello SEP990i.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    5MP camera??? More memory?? What about adding a "LASER" and "Eye scan biometrics? Wow dude, what are you talking about??? This is a Treo not a Q gadget.

Al
    well if we are going to go that far, i would like to add microwave functions
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    WoW!!! Guys.. and how much are you all willing to pay for this new TREO???
    If Hollywood doesn't have HDSPA 3.6, BT 2 and oodles more memory, I'll keep my 650
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    My point was, I can't think of one app that the 700 would run that the 650 can't. MantraGroup's VOIP app would qualify if it works. Streaming media would definitely change my opinion. Otherwise, it'll be faster, but without a good stable compliant browser, the speed is not fully utilized.
    Streaming media? Am I missing something? I do that on my Treo 600... Shoutcast for Audio. Not sure if MobiTV works on the 600, but I know it does on the 650. Granted with EVDO access it'll be WAY better.

If they came out with every feature listed, it'd probably weigh 2x as much, cost about 4x as much, and probably be 8x buggier then the 650 considering no one has made a converged device that comes close to all those features in something the size (sorry, smaller) of a treo, so people would be going on how Palm sucks anyways. Just like I read the Dell / Microsoft sucks threads in my WM Forums I visit.

Threads like this prove, no matter what you do, you can't please everyone
    Treo 600 --> Dell Axim x51v --> Copper 680
    Quote Originally Posted by Reapman
    Streaming media? Am I missing something? I do that on my Treo 600... Shoutcast for Audio. Not sure if MobiTV works on the 600, but I know it does on the 650. Granted with EVDO access it'll be WAY better.

If they came out with every feature listed, it'd probably weigh 2x as much, cost about 4x as much, and probably be 8x buggier then the 650 considering no one has made a converged device that comes close to all those features in something the size (sorry, smaller) of a treo, so people would be going on how Palm sucks anyways. Just like I read the Dell / Microsoft sucks threads in my WM Forums I visit.

Threads like this prove, no matter what you do, you can't please everyone
    What I meant was 'streaming video'. Yes, Shoutcast is great and it will be greater when we have support for streaming WMAs.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Sounds like a nice enough upgrade, but likely only for those in areas EVDO is available. I can't see many people in more rural areas making the upgrade from the 650 at least just for a better camera, BT1.2 and a minimal upgrade in memory - ok there are other things but not that exciting either. Especially not for double or triple the price. I for one am hoping this is the "lowrider" selling at around $300 (still appropriately more than the current prices of the 650) and that an 800p/hollywood or whatever is coming out with the real upgrades (wifi, 128-256 int memory etc) late in the year. At this point there are many more wifi areas than EVDO areas so I think they're missing the boat there.

If those things occured, i then the specs we have seen for this new 700p would be an appropriate update and give a wide range of options for people once released widespread. I don't see myself getting a 700p (hopefully lowrider please) since i got a 650 last month unless we get EVDO soon, but would definitly shell out some cash for a true upgrade.
    I'm not with anybody that resorts to this 3 year old 'Who's with me' crap.

Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy
    Im Dissapointed With The 700p Specs. Who's With Me???!!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    I'm not with anybody that resorts to this 3 year old 'Who's with me' crap.
    Can I get an Amen?
    I'm back!
    I don't agree with the application support. If the 700p indeed comes with Java, it will come with alot more application support right off the bat. The ones I can think off are the google map app and a couple of java browsers.

Yeah I know you can install java on 650 blad blad blad, but it doesn't come with the phone and it eats up ALOT of space. I still don't have kmap on my phone because I am unwilling to give up that much memory to java. Saying java is supported on 650 is like saying windows 95/98fe is competible with usb if you dig up the usb driver from some hidden deep links inside microsoft.com in which it existed for very brief period of time.
    even if the 700p functions better as a phone than the 650, it appears on the surface to be a marginal upgrade.

And the 650 promised nice marginal upgrades over the 600, but didn't fully deliver until after some updates- and like someone said- I finally have my working...
    Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy
    Im calling this the 700B - B for BORING.
    Or the TREO 651, since it really isnt much else than 1 step away from a 650.

I think the specs for this phone are a MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT. This isnt a new device, just a basic update of an old device that was plagued with problems. There is very little here that would make me switch from my 650 which finally works and which I am finally very happy with (but only because I have a modified ROM - which in itself is ridiculous):

Form factor - for a 'new' device, its basically the same as the 650, except that it looks far uglier. I think the 650 looks more sleek than the 700W. More than a year later, this should have been a smaller device. AND GET RID OF THAT UGLY ANTENNA!

OS - what a bore. another non-multitasking operating system. Come on Palm, this isnt 1995!

Memory - Zzzzzzzz. Most basic celpphones will have more than this in 2006. The flash memory is the same physical size whether is 64mb or 1GB. its a cost issue (if i could buy it with 1GB I would - perhaps give us options).

Camera - Ok, better than the 650, but should be 5MP to make it a real alternative. I wonder if it will be able to take high definition video too?

Screen - definately the highlight of the 650 (no other device is as good) but wouldnt it have been more interesting to have 320x320 but expandable to 320x480 with a slidedown keyboard for wtaching video? That would be nice.

EVDO - OK, thats a start.

WiFi...? NO WIFI??? Absolutely ridiculous.

Flashing asterix replaced by a bell - wow thats innovative.

Button remap - Whats the difference? I liked the fact that I could map all my buttons on the Treo 600. Give us 8 buttons and let us decide what we want to do with them.

I want a thinner, smaller device with a bigger screen, wifi, real memory, no antenna and a multi-tasking OS. GPS would also be a real advantage. This device is just a 650 with go-faster stripes painted on.
    I agree this is a ho-hum Treo if the specs are true.

About your last paragraph. You mean you want a WM device. Unfortunate but true. Although the smaller part is debatable, but WM has most of the rest built-in on lot of devices.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by frank-barnett
    And the 650 promised nice marginal upgrades over the 600, but didn't fully deliver until after some updates- and like someone said- I finally have my working...
    For me wireless headsets and 320 x 320 was H-U-G-E.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    For me wireless headsets and 320 x 320 was H-U-G-E.
    so was removable battery and faster procsesor
    Regarding the 700p, I have it on good authority that I have no authority to cite any authority that Palm even has the authority to release any authority pertaining to any authority regarding the 700p.

There you have it. The final word.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast