1.    #1  
    a source from Palm?

http://gadgetsonthego.net/
    Only a complete moron (I'm sorry to say) would believe that a qualcom chipset that is INCAPABLE of EVDO can be made to run EVDO. They are physically different chips. Yes, I suppose with the correct hardware emulation it could be possible. But then I'll bet qualcom will be suing the pants off any company to release such a hack.
    Somebody make it stop.....................
    Keep going, keep going we'll eventually overdose on it and die!
    I'm so Great I'm jealous of myself!
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Only a complete moron (I'm sorry to say) would believe that a qualcom chipset that is INCAPABLE of EVDO can be made to run EVDO. They are physically different chips. Yes, I suppose with the correct hardware emulation it could be possible. But then I'll bet qualcom will be suing the pants off any company to release such a hack.
    Ay, Ay Captain.

And no, you're absolutely right, you CANNOT do EV-DO with the current chip, there are PHYSICAL radio differences that are not supported in the 650 chipset. Do you really think that if it was JUST a software fix it would NOT have been implemented by the time it showed up on Verizon, which has THE BIGGEST EV-DO network in the US?

And by the way, I still see some reference and hopes around EV-DV every now and then so you might want to know that it might not show up for a while if ever: Qualcomm stopped development of it in 2005 for lack of carrier interest.

Ok, back to the 700p crazy soap drama thread

-TreoFred
    Since people have problems with my Einstein quotes, I will now quote my true hero: Homer Simpson.

"Doh !'
    Arnt people being irresponsible perpetuating rumors which are patently false (not forum posters of course, but blogs like gadgetsonthego etc). What happened to fact checking and discarding stupid nonsense?

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    What happened to fact checking and discarding stupid nonsense?

Surur
    Answer: The Internet happened
    I read it on gizmodo and linked to it. We all know our 650's can't do EV-DO. There's crazy treo rumors every day now, it's kind of funny.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    I read it on gizmodo and linked to it. We all know our 650's can't do EV-DO. There's crazy treo rumors every day now, it's kind of funny.
    But you're perpetuating the rumor.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I hear ya. I put a dislaimer.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Speaking of software fixes... Is there any chance that we can use any of the files on the leaked 700P to upgrade anything on our 650's? I think Shadowmite hinted to this in another thread... Bluetooth and FAT32 come to mind first but I'm sure there are others.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoStallion
    Speaking of software fixes... Is there any chance that we can use any of the files on the leaked 700P to upgrade anything on our 650's? I think Shadowmite hinted to this in another thread... Bluetooth and FAT32 come to mind first but I'm sure there are others.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=106598
    ---
    Handspring Visor Pro + Samsung 8500 (Sprint PCS) -> Handspring Treo 600 (Sprint PCS) -> Palm Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Sony-Ericsson P990 if S-E releases a North-America version
    Thanks! Wow you have to move fast around here !
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenTeeth
    on Verizon, which has THE BIGGEST EV-DO network in the US?

-TreoFred
    That statement is so last year dude... You might want to recheck your facts, there's a certain CDMA carrier that has an equal if not bigger EVDO footprint/coverage in the US than Verizon and growing. Kinda hard to guess huh...
    part of the problem is that there are sprint types who keep saying this stuff. I had a regional marketing rep for sprint tell me last summer that there would be a 650 "fix" to make it work with EVDO. He was trying to sell me goodlink, so that should have been a tipoff as to his sanity .
    Quote Originally Posted by xchpstang
    That statement is so last year dude... You might want to recheck your facts, there's a certain CDMA carrier that has an equal if not bigger EVDO footprint/coverage in the US than Verizon and growing. Kinda hard to guess huh...
    I thought Verizon was still bigger but I know Sprint is deploying agressively. I don't have the data so I'll leave you the benefit of the doubt and agree I should have said "on Verizon wich at the time, had THE BIGGEST EV-DO network in the US?"

Happy ?
    Since people have problems with my Einstein quotes, I will now quote my true hero: Homer Simpson.

"Doh !'
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Arnt people being irresponsible perpetuating rumors which are patently false (not forum posters of course, but blogs like gadgetsonthego etc). What happened to fact checking and discarding stupid nonsense?

Surur
    Hmmm, this sounds familiar. We know where fact checking went, it went right out the door when Slinky posted that he's seen a 700p and offers up its impossible specs.

And then every Treo and gadget site links to it as "news".
    I'm back!
    As far as Sprint's EVDO vs Verizon's EVDO, this is from another thread:

Sprint has EVDO in 212 cities but they inappropriately distinguish some cities that are part of metro areas. Realistically Sprint is in about 120+ distinct markets compared to Verizon's 60-80 depending on what you call a market. Verizon covers about 150m population with EVDO while Sprint is probably at 175-180m and growing constantly. Verizon has slowed down rollout because many market only have 800mhz towers, which does not have much capacity for EVDO. Sprint has all 1900mhz towers so can do 100% of network.

Sprint is adding EVDO at a rate of 14m population coverage a week according to RCR Wireless news. Sprint plans to do 100% network to EVDO by 2007.
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    He was trying to sell me goodlink, so that should have been a tipoff as to his sanity .
    I don't see a problem there

Sorry, had to.