Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    See post #964 in the "700p in my hands" mega-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Dog Doc
    See post #964 in the "700p in my hands" mega-thread
    You're better off to post a direct link, rather than have people look for it.

But even he's not sure what it means.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Personally, I doubt it.

If this is the 'lowrider', they will totally raid my wallet for the 'highrider'!
    If there is a Hollywood version that has better specs, it will be the first time that Palm has ever exceeded my expectations.
    Jer 23:29
    I'M SOOOOO CONFUSED !!!!
  6.    #6  
    You and me both, Perry.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=978

My thoughts on this.

I go back to this summary:

Palm (HTC production). On early dates of the new year there has appeared the first Palm model powered by Windows Mobile OS - Palm Treo 700W communicator. According to the company the demand suppressed all expectations. The leaders of Palm turned to speak much surprisingly and unveiled their plans for the year (after a shareholder of Palm had published the info): in 2006 there will be 4 new communicators. During 6 months the Treo 700w will be exclusively manufactured for Verizon CDMA-network, and only then we see a GSM-version for the rest of the world (summer 2006). Palm Treo 700p is the same 700w, but with Palm OS Garnet and a higher quality LCD. It will be an exclusive for the US network Sprint for some period. The model under the code name Hollywood is the top of the line with the support of 3G-networks and the absence of the external antenna. It will be introduced in 2Q. And finally the last model - the budget Lowrider, the approximate price is $300. Well, we've finished with HTC products.

Is it possible that a "lowrider" file got onto this beta model -- but it is still the 700P? The specs of this device fit too nicely into a parrallel development theory with the 700W, with the Lowrider still being an under $300 budget model and the Hollywood being the upscale GSM version. . . .?
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/05/2006 at 06:13 PM.
    The Hollywood could have GPS, and wifi, those are the only thing's(I can think of) that are missing from merlyn's treo

*edit* oh yeah and BB connect
    Last edited by R1_Rydah; 02/05/2006 at 06:17 PM.
  9.    #9  
    Perry, I have to agree. The specs parallel the 700w too closely for it to be anything but the 700p.
    Quote Originally Posted by R1_Rydah
    The Hollywood could have GPS, and wifi, those are the only thing's(I can think of) that are missing from merlyn's treo

*edit* oh yeah and BB connect
    ...i'd like to see more internal memory and a faster processor.

If there is a pimped out Hollywood model, I'd pay $500-$600 to upgrade from my 650 and make the switch from my grandfathered unlimited vision to the EV-DO rate plans.

If it's only as the 700p rumors have detailed, it's not worth the upgrade (cost of unit and giving up my awesome rate plan)....IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by baby_arm
    If there is a pimped out Hollywood model, I'd pay $500-$600 to upgrade from my 650 and make the switch from my grandfathered unlimited vision to the EV-DO rate plans.
    If it's only as the 700p rumors have detailed, it's not worth the upgrade (cost of unit and giving up my awesome rate plan)....IMO.
    The EV-DO & if the BT has an A2DP profile, are enough to get me to upgrade... But I would be pissed if I jumped @ this first unit(lowrider), and a more feature rich(hollywood) version comes out 3rd or 4th quarter.
    Guys, the more I think about this, the more I believe this might be just the codename for the cdma variant.

Hollywood being the gsm variant. Being that evdo is a big point on the cdma one, they have diverged, two different units.

Then again, I could be wrong. But there is a darn good chance what he has is a lowrider. Other than that it's all speculation.
    my only question would be why lowrider if it's a distinction of cdma? lowrider imo implies a sort of inferiority to gsm... certainly not the case. maybe just a code name with no other significance?
    Quote Originally Posted by baby_arm

I hadn't thought about that. I pay $15.00 for unlimited data on Sprint now. So if I change to Evdo with a new phone (700p) then I'd lose that? Not sure if I'd want to do that. What are the rates Sprint is offering for unlimited Evdo? And is the Evdo really unlimited? Because with my 650 now my understanding we really have a ceiling and if you use it as a modem for a laptop, etc, they charge you more. I can't see paying more and still being hamstringed. the only reason I've stayed with Sprint is that they were cheaper. As they get closer to Verzon in price it makes it easier to switch.
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    I have a friend with a 6700 and she only pays $15 for EV-DO... That's only a $5 increase over what I pay now... Definately worth it IMO
    HTC Touch Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkboy717
    my only question would be why lowrider if it's a distinction of cdma? lowrider imo implies a sort of inferiority to gsm... certainly not the case. maybe just a code name with no other significance?
    Not true.

"Lowrider" can easily refer to a sleeker, suped-up model, much like some cars.
    this is true. i suppose that it makes sense. i would be interested where this codename info can be found within the device?
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=978

My thoughts on this.

I go back to this summary:

Palm (HTC production). On early dates of the new year there has appeared the first Palm model powered by Windows Mobile OS - Palm Treo 700W communicator. According to the company the demand suppressed all expectations. The leaders of Palm turned to speak much surprisingly and unveiled their plans for the year (after a shareholder of Palm had published the info): in 2006 there will be 4 new communicators. During 6 months the Treo 700w will be exclusively manufactured for Verizon CDMA-network, and only then we see a GSM-version for the rest of the world (summer 2006). Palm Treo 700p is the same 700w, but with Palm OS Garnet and a higher quality LCD. It will be an exclusive for the US network Sprint for some period. The model under the code name Hollywood is the top of the line with the support of 3G-networks and the absence of the external antenna. It will be introduced in 2Q. And finally the last model - the budget Lowrider, the approximate price is $300. Well, we've finished with HTC products.

Is it possible that a "lowrider" file got onto this beta model -- but it is still the 700P? The specs of this device fit too nicely into a parrallel development theory with the 700W, with the Lowrider still being an under $300 budget model and the Hollywood being the upscale GSM version. . . .?

Repeat, I still think this scenario is it.

The first step is done. (700W)

The 2nd step seems to be verified, except for a reference to Lowrider on the beta. (700P)

With the next two steps to follow.
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/05/2006 at 07:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by southbound747
    I hadn't thought about that. I pay $15.00 for unlimited data on Sprint now. So if I change to Evdo with a new phone (700p) then I'd lose that? Not sure if I'd want to do that. What are the rates Sprint is offering for unlimited Evdo? And is the Evdo really unlimited? Because with my 650 now my understanding we really have a ceiling and if you use it as a modem for a laptop, etc, they charge you more. I can't see paying more and still being hamstringed. the only reason I've stayed with Sprint is that they were cheaper. As they get closer to Verzon in price it makes it easier to switch.
    Relax. Sprint's rates are still affordable. For newer Power Vision (EVDO) phones the plans start out at 15 for unlimited EVDO and Sprint is introducing a 40 dollar unlimited tethering plan which should also include unlimited EVDO on the handset itself which is actually a pretty good deal.
    to find the id, try using a linux system, extract ace-palmos.zip, and grep the folder where it is for "650"... Or in the case of lowrider:

: PmROMVersion-PmVr.PRC :
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast