Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I don't know if anyone else has already come up with this already, but my theory is that the rumoured "Hollywood" Treo might contain the Texas Instruments Hollywood Mobile TV Chipset.

It seems like too much of a coincidence that:
    - Treo's have been traditionally built from Texas Instruments chipsets
    - Both the rumoured Treo model and the TI chipset are both called "Hollywood"

Here's some more info about TI's Hollywood:
    http://focus.ti.com/docs/pr/pressrel...prelId=sc04226
    Last edited by mjw; 02/05/2006 at 03:01 PM.
    Interesting. MobiTV has the client end setup well although delivery is lacking. Perhaps a Hollywood chip would really set this service off - could sell a heck alot of Treos with TV enabled.
    Last edited by JPVann; 02/07/2006 at 02:48 AM.
    Jer 23:29
    I can't believe all of the rumors floating around lately. People on this board seem to really like to cling to the tiniest of threads and blow it completely out of proportion.

People need to step back and look at the facts. You are allowing your imagination to cloud your vision. For instance TI's Hollywood cannot possible be linked to Palm's code named "Hollywood" product.

Why? Because TI is not releasing samples until later this year and not reaching full production untill 2007. Palm's Andy Brown says they have been working on "Hollywood" with Microsoft for OVER 2 years now and it is due out in 1-2 months. I hardly think this TI chip will be used in Palm's new Microsoft based phone. How could it if the phone comes out before the chip does.

And another thing, Palm is no longer spending R&D on Palm based phones. From what Andy says, the only Palm phones in the forseeable future that will support these faster networks will have Microsoft Mobile on them. I say this regrettably because I like Palm and I would love to have a "Hollywood" like phone but it will not happen here in the states until they develop another OS that can support the technologies that it will hold.

Palm may eventually release some other Palm OS based Treo as 2006 runs it's course but it will not offer anything that the 650 doesn't already have because their budget just isn't putting any money into those right now. It might be something like a Treo 650 Special Addition with an included charging base, a carrying case and maybe another 32MBs of memory squeezed into it or something like that but don't expect much. Infact, knowing how Palm works, I would actually expect less.

As for the crazy threads that apparently sprung up over the weekend here, I would take what you have read and digest it for a bit. I really do not believe Palm to be releasing a phone as presented by shadowmite and "whoever something 3D". It is certainly quite possible they had some sort of phone tat Palm put together but I do not believe it will be released as they had seen and presented to TreoCentral.
    That chipset is already n use in Motorola's Hollywood cell phone used by Amp'd Mobile.
    LOL. It could also be the GPU chip ATI is designing for Nintendo Revolution console. It's also codenamed "Hollywood."
    Really ???

Acording to TI's press release from 3 weeks ago tht I just searched for, the say "Consumers should expect to find the first mobile phones with TI's Hollywood chips inside on the market in late 2006 at the earliest."
    Realistically, this probably means half-way through 2007 if you were to ask the engineers.

I checked Amp'd site and they have no phone incorporating this chip.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    TI's Hollywood cannot possible be linked to Palm's code named "Hollywood" product.

Why? Because TI is not releasing samples until later this year and not reaching full production untill 2007.
    Where did you get your information? This link from Jan 4th 2006 says that TI is already shipping samples:
    http://www10.edacafe.com/nbc/article...ticleid=232138

"Texas Instruments Incorporated (NYSE: TXN) (TI) today announced that initial Hollywood(TM) DTV single-chip solutions for mobile phones are now being delivered to TI's customers who manufacture handsets worldwide."

Regarding your later comment:
    TI's Hollywood chips inside on the market in late 2006 at the earliest
    I think that that would be right on track with the kind of schedule we have seen from Palm in the past (i.e. major new releases once per year, at the end of the year).
    Palm's Andy Brown says they have been working on "Hollywood" with Microsoft for OVER 2 years now and it is due out in 1-2 months.
    And with a few strokes of keys, any interest I had in this device from Palm evaporated. I'm not POS bigot, but I'm tired of eating MS crap. We need alternatives in the marketplace or it's not a marketplace. It's really very sad Palm has so lost it's way that it's invited itself into oblivion.
    From what I keep hearing, it's because Palm needs to break into Europe. Europe seems to not take to Palm OS. I prefer Palm OS too, but if the Hollywood has decent features, I'd look at it.

I still can't believe the 700p(or Lowrider as Shadowmite thinks) still won't include wi-fi drivers. even for an SD card. If it really is the Lowrider, I think I'll wait for the 700p to see if they fix that.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    From what I keep hearing, it's because Palm needs to break into Europe. Europe seems to not take to Palm OS. I prefer Palm OS too, but if the Hollywood has decent features, I'd look at it.
    How ironic. I would have thought that with all the EU litigation they'd be soured on anything Microsoft these days. Every time I hear the argument "but we must do this to grow market!" I think back to Apple's horrific attempts. In the end it's a quality vs. quantity issue. You tend to sacrifice one for the other.

I still can't believe the 700p(or Lowrider as Shadowmite thinks) still won't include wi-fi drivers. even for an SD card. If it really is the Lowrider, I think I'll wait for the 700p to see if they fix that.
    I am forced to concede that unless Palm gets really serious about Linux then POS is on the fast track to irrelevancy -- WM will take over. I'm glad to see the recent activity with GPE on the 650 -- it really boots! As for new hardware... well, I'm satisfied enough with my 650 to not feel any pressure for this new stuff; for me it's more a question of the software at this point. If the suggestion is correct that all these new devices will be WM-based, then I may simply decide it's time to stay where I am and stand by until a truly innovative OS or device enters the market.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    I've never understood the judgement of an operating system by the manufacturer. The only thing that matters to me is innovation, capability, integration and ease of use. I've owned Palm Pilots, Pocket PCs, treos, and winmob devices.

Besides winmob and POS are not the bigboys in the smartphone market - Symbian is.

3rd Qtr 2005 sales (Quasi extrapolated from manufacturer sales):
    Symbian (Nokia) ~7 million units
    Palm (Palm,etc)~ 1 million units
    RIM (RIM) ~ 1 million units
    Winmob (HP, Motorola, HTC, ...) a little over 1 million units
    There is some innacuracy since the sales numbers I was looking at were broken down by manufacturer, not OS. Some manufacturers make multiple OS devices. The treo 700w wasn't out yet.

Why are you angry at the gorilla that owns about a 9% market share? Why do you care? I will never understand not buying a product for those type of reasons.

The POS is dead, gone, not coming back until Access decides to let the cat out of the bag with their plans on the Linux based OS formerly known as Palm.

Perhaps the statement that no more POS R&D only refers to the 5.x series. Has Palm been locked out of the Access OS? I dunno. you dunno, and anybody who does has their lips legally sealed.

The wheels of whatever we are going to see with the Access OS are already in motion. Will it be an Apple smartphone? A powered by Access treo? Will Sony use the OS now that it's owned by a Japanese company and the Sony smartphone stinks?

The guessing is the fun part. Why lock yourself out of 1/2 (well 9%) the fun by being blinded by manufacturer?
    Quote Originally Posted by jimn367
    Besides winmob and POS are not the bigboys in the smartphone market - Symbian is.
    Maybe by volume, sure... but it's not on any devices I'd actually want to use. I was encouraged by Nokia's use of it, but I wasn't very excited by the devices...

Quote Originally Posted by jimn367
    Why are you angry at the gorilla that owns about a 9% market share? Why do you care? I will never understand not buying a product for those type of reasons.
    Angry? No, not anger... more like contempt. Contempt that can only come from using the products for a long time. I'm not judging from afar, I'm just indicating my lack of interest in selling any more of my soul to a product that really isn't all that innovative.

On the flip side, of course, I would say that if Palm continues to peddle new Garnet devices they're not doing much better. i don't care how much hardware they pumped into it, I'd never put money into another POS 5 device... it'd be like trying to find a copy of Windows 3.11 or Mac OS 9 that I just had to run on some shiny new hardware.

So, it's not to say I reserve all my contempt for Microsoft. They're just a market share leader, you might say. Personally, I tend to prefer the companies that actually tend to focus on quality over quantity. No, they aren't perfect either... but at least their eye is on the prize. Once you give up and become a numbers company ("more market! more market!") then you're just a zombie parasite looking for hosts.

YMMV, naturally.
    jimn367, symbian's numbers are blown out of proportion to the market you're discussing -- those symbian numbers include ALL of their phones, not just 'smartphones' -- that could change the discussion somewhat.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ricochet
    jimn367, symbian's numbers are blown out of proportion to the market you're discussing -- those symbian numbers include ALL of their phones, not just 'smartphones' -- that could change the discussion somewhat.
    Yes and No - these are smartphone numbers. Of course Nokia considers anything using the symbian OS (series 60, N90, etc...) so you are correct from that point. I really don't want to start the symmantical argument on what a smartphone is. Heck - using Seven I can get e-mail on a simple J2me phone (like a moto v551).

Defining a smartphone is going to get harder to do as:
    1) More phones get e-mail capable
    2) More phone get multimedia
    3) Larger color displays on 'standard phones'
    4) Internet access

There is going to be just a whole world of 'tweeners' with features optimized for market segments. That's what worries me about the treo and Blackberry. They have relegated themselves to one corner of the market, and that corner may not be big enough to support a product architecture.
    Quote Originally Posted by ricochet
    All Symbian phones are smartphones. You are confusing Nokia and Symbian. Nokia sold about 80 million phones Q4 2005, of which less than 10% were Symbian smart phones.

Surur
    Good points, both of you, but I did mean to focus on Treo's direct competitors -- ie, phones with keyboards meant for text entry. I'm NOT confusing Nokia with symbian. I know Nokia considers all symbian phones to be smartphones, but most sources don't take that view (zdnet, for example). Pcmag had an article not long ago that split all of the phones into different categories and admitted there was overlap.

I don't want to get into an argument about this either, but my general point is Treo has a chance to blow this race wide open -- and they prolly won't do it. It'll take a giant leap for them to become dominant, no question.

IF they spec'd out a phone with the stuff this board has been asking for -- wifi, more memory, blackberry connect, etc etc etc, and price it reasonably, they'd take away share and FAST. The problem is, this window of opportunity is closing. Their only approach is evolutionary, and that's not going to win the race. If they'd made those jumps two years ago, there'd be an iPodish-like market around it. They didn't, and competitors are now catching up. Nokia's S phones look pretty slick, and the form factor that drives the Treo's success in the marketplace is being copied.

I do agree that POS is a dead man walking, but Palm will survive for a few years to eke out what it can, and I'm looking forward to the slim form factor that's been discussed, and am hoping it will have EVDO and wifi. Maybe it's stupid, but hey, my choice. I do find it weird that Europe is buying more MS than Palm, but then again, Palm just isn't as well known. All I know is that symbian is slowly, ever so slowly gaining a footprint here in America. Without the software app library, it'll be slow going. It's the old chicken or the egg conundrum. Without the market, developers go somewhere else. Consumers don't like to buy something that doesn't have a ton of software options.

I'm sure symbian will eventually get to that tipping point, but it's years off.
    Sorry, it appears we've really gotten off topic. I hope somebody buys Palm tho.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Yeah we're off topic, but...

I personally think it [OS migration] is a done deal. After the POS devices this year Palm is leaving the POS for good. I think the success of the 700w has put the nail in the POS coffin (at least for Palm).

Bill Gates was once overheard asking the chairman of Sony why they had product lines with two competing OS's (POS and Symbian). I think the same is true here.

Wouldn't it be interesting if 3 years from now Access was teamed with another company to bring 'the OS formerly known as POS' devices to market to compete against Palms, which are now running windows???

Now that's something that will make you go crazy thinking about the possibilities...
  19. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Palm's Andy Brown says they have been working on "Hollywood" with Microsoft for OVER 2 years now and it is due out in 1-2 months.
    And another thing, Palm is no longer spending R&D on Palm based phones. From what Andy says, the only Palm phones in the forseeable future that will support these faster networks will have Microsoft Mobile on them.
    Where/when has he said all of this? "From what Andy says"--is this what he's said or is someone extrapolating here?

Palm will lose a lot of sales if they only do WinMob for 3G devices. There are too many people with loyalty to the Palm OS--whether for software, liking the interface, etc. Some may hold out; a lot of them, though, will evaluate their 3G options and not wait around.

And how do you explain the 700p--that Merlyn 3d and Shadowmite have seen--if they're not adding any 3G support for Garnet? Sounds to me like they've got EVDO in a 700p and will release something (whether a GSM 700p or, as some of us are hoping, another device, maybe Hollywood) for Cingular/unlocked GSM in the US. It may mean that they're done with R&D for this year's 4 Treo models and are waiting for PalmSource to release Palm over Linux.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Europe seems to not take to Palm OS.
    Really, why do you say that

Palm's problem in the UK isn't the OS but lack of carrier support, Orange are the only ones who have the Treo 650 in their range, the others sell mostly Blackberries or their own badged i-Mate/Qtek/XDA/etc.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast