Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Well, since we're just touting rumours around here, look at this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk
    Really, why do you say that

Palm's problem in the UK isn't the OS but lack of carrier support, Orange are the only ones who have the Treo 650 in their range, the others sell mostly Blackberries or their own badged i-Mate/Qtek/XDA/etc.

Sales of Palm OS devices in Europe is supposed to be low. True or not true?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    That is true, but I think he's saying it's more b/c only Orange supports it for some reason.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Sales of Palm OS devices in Europe is supposed to be low. True or not true?
    I can only speak for the UK I think Palm PDA's sell well enough but not so the Treo's, due mostly to the lack of carrier support. If you bought the phone alone without a contract then it would cost around 400, (~$700), which is more than most people are willing to spend
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Had a quick search around the net and came up with this report, so not all bad for Palm

Palm led the market for the first time since 1Q04, with 23%, and was followed by HP, proving that despite a dominant European preference for Microsoft's OS, demand remains for Palm OS devices positioned in specific segments at competitive price points.
    http://www.mobileeurope.co.uk/news/n...y.ehtml?o=1833
    Quote Originally Posted by jimn367
    I've never understood the judgement of an operating system by the manufacturer. The only thing that matters to me is innovation, capability, integration and ease of use. I've owned Palm Pilots, Pocket PCs, treos, and winmob devices.

Besides winmob and POS are not the bigboys in the smartphone market - Symbian is.

3rd Qtr 2005 sales (Quasi extrapolated from manufacturer sales):
    Symbian (Nokia) ~7 million units
    Palm (Palm,etc)~ 1 million units
    RIM (RIM) ~ 1 million units
    Winmob (HP, Motorola, HTC, ...) a little over 1 million units
    There is some innacuracy since the sales numbers I was looking at were broken down by manufacturer, not OS. Some manufacturers make multiple OS devices. The treo 700w wasn't out yet.

Why are you angry at the gorilla that owns about a 9% market share? Why do you care? I will never understand not buying a product for those type of reasons.

The POS is dead, gone, not coming back until Access decides to let the cat out of the bag with their plans on the Linux based OS formerly known as Palm.

Perhaps the statement that no more POS R&D only refers to the 5.x series. Has Palm been locked out of the Access OS? I dunno. you dunno, and anybody who does has their lips legally sealed.

The wheels of whatever we are going to see with the Access OS are already in motion. Will it be an Apple smartphone? A powered by Access treo? Will Sony use the OS now that it's owned by a Japanese company and the Sony smartphone stinks?

The guessing is the fun part. Why lock yourself out of 1/2 (well 9%) the fun by being blinded by manufacturer?
    Really? Cuz 1 million Treo sales last year says differently.
    You can "not understand" the OS based on manufacturer decision all day long. It doesn't change the fact there are enough of us out here, willing to deal with FrankenGarnet one more time, just to have POS, EVDO, and NO BILL GATES to make it worth their time building one. Is there a market for WinMob? Abosulutely. But it ain't me, Pal, and it never will be!! I'll go to a frickin' Blackberry, or write my own damn OS before I let that happen!!!

I can see it now...DOOM 1.1

Oh yeah baby!!!

As for Symbian, hey, that's an option. I'd look at it. But the few I've seen and played with seemed, I don't know, stupid? For me it's not a frickin' smartphone without a QWERTY, and some resemblance to a PDA, but hey! To each his own.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    My point stands (and don't take it as a statement against Palm). They can only hold out with FrankenGarnet for so long. The 5.X POS is a dead end street. Access will not let it linger forever.

Like I said, until Access lets the cat out of the bag none of us no whether POS will live or die. Did they by POS to kill it? I dunno. Did they buy POS and now they are cutting a deal with a [not Palm] company to bring devices to the market and cut Palm out of the loop? I dunno. Are they pouring cash into Cobalt or Palm/Linux and the treo 700w was a risk mitigator because Palm saw Palmsource dying? I dunno. Will Palm migrate to WM and another company sell devices with the Access linux OS on it. So Palms are running windows competeing against devices made by someone else running POS? I dunno.

But 5.4.xxx can't go on forever and it will be suicide for Palm to be a multi OS company. They do not have the resources to invest people, money and time in two directions.

The fate of the OS formerly known as Palm is in the hands of Access, and none of us know what the heck is going on behind closed doors.
    You're right, we don't know. But it would be nice if someone said something SOON about what will happen to the Palm OS. Look at all the defectors already! If they don't tell us by the end of 2006 that they will be upgrading the Palm OS, that won't look good. Who is going to keep buying new devices with the same old OS? Even if they change the hardware, the inside will still be running on obsolete software. Palm, please do not turn into Motorola!!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    Really? Cuz 1 million Treo sales last year says differently.
    You can "not understand" the OS based on manufacturer decision all day long. It doesn't change the fact there are enough of us out here, willing to deal with FrankenGarnet one more time, just to have POS, EVDO, and NO BILL GATES to make it worth their time building one. Is there a market for WinMob? Abosulutely. But it ain't me, Pal, and it never will be!! I'll go to a frickin' Blackberry, or write my own damn OS before I let that happen!!!

I can see it now...DOOM 1.1

Oh yeah baby!!!

As for Symbian, hey, that's an option. I'd look at it. But the few I've seen and played with seemed, I don't know, stupid? For me it's not a frickin' smartphone without a QWERTY, and some resemblance to a PDA, but hey! To each his own.
    True, but they need to revamp it a bit, at least. Even if it's still Garnet, can we get something NEW added? Besides EVDO, I mean. New icons and new functions would be nice.

Actually I'm still at a loss as to why Garnet is supposed to be so unpopular. What did it do wrong? No multi-tasking, is that it?

You're right, we don't know. But it would be nice if someone said something SOON about what will happen to the Palm OS. Look at all the defectors already! If they don't tell us by the end of 2006 that they will be upgrading the Palm OS, that won't look good. Who is going to keep buying new devices with the same old OS? Even if they change the hardware, the inside will still be running on obsolete software. Palm, please do not turn into Motorola!!!
    I believe Palm has said they are going to support the PalmOS long term:

Nedham Conference Quote provided by Surur:

Palm also plan to release PalmOS Treo smartphone this year to assure the community that they not in anyway leaving the loyal Palm OS users around the world, but the new smartphone will not support 3G technologies, which is not supported currently 'til Access release the new Linux version of the OS.
    (The linked article is dated January 12, 2006)

Of course the Beta Sprint 700P that Merlyn had -- did have EV-DO.

But the quote sounds like a growth path for the OS to me:

Garnet, one more time (apparently tweaked to support EV-DO), followed by Palm over Linux. . . .

Cheers, Perry
    Unfortunately, until Palm itself shows us the protoype and says it will be released in the near future, I don't believe what they say. They can promise all they want, I'm waiting for them to DELIVER. The model that's now being tested, how do we know they won't scrap it(or delay it)? I no longer trust Palm in terms of the Treo.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, they did us wrong going to MSFT and hyping it all over the place. And that makes me think they are not really committed to the Palm OS anymore. As the other poster mentioned, are they really going to service 2 OSs?? I suppose it could be done, but then they are servicing competing OSs. Was this a one time only deal with MSFT? If not, do you really think MSFT won't make an ultimatum of some type, for Palm to drop the Palm OS? We're talking about MSFT here.

It truly is a risky path running two OS's. But staying with Palm only -- they were doomed to become Apple(on the PC side), with Windows taking the business market -- and they maintaining a small but loyal following.

Can they walk this tight rope? I hope so. The only way to sell hardware into the business sector was to offer Windows Mobile. So it was either be minimalized forever as a non-business player -- or die trying the two OS path. Windows Mobile -- was going to be out there anyway -- so carriers were always going to be faced with supporting two OSs -- with or without Palm offering it on the Treo.

I believe they will continue to offer a quality (if not better) product on the Palm side. The 700P will be a stepping stone to Palm/Linux. The truth will come, in what they deliver next, after the 700P.

I feel secure in Palm's commitment to this path, not abandoned. Yes we are talking MSFT here. Palm was doomed without the business market. It was either die or die trying the dual path. They chose to try. I, for one, applaud the effort. Can they pull off the dual thing?

The next two years will be interesting!

Cheers, Perry
    supporting long term versus selling long term are two totally different things. you can generally still get support for two generations back of most operating systems once they are retiredfrom new devices...no doubt Palm will still "support" the POS they have out there.
    But in terms of the Treo, I am worried about whether or not they can keep selling and servicing competing OSs. Now they have to support both the 650 and the 700. And if they do release the 700p, they have to support that too. How is this going to pan out in the end if they make another WM device? Are they just going to throw in the towel and say "screw it" with one of them? If so, it will probably be Palm OS because WM sells more.

Our only hope out of this is if Palm does NOT make another WM device and Access comes out with some kick-*** Palm OS revamp, so Palm can come back home. If they continue to make WM devices, Palm OS is through for the Treo. You can't stretch yourself too thin.

Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    [Who is going to keep buying new devices with the same old OS? Even if they change the hardware, the inside will still be running on obsolete software. Palm, please do not turn into Motorola!!!
    But that decision is not in Palm's hands. They might have ended up with No OS if Access decided to pull the rug out from underneath them. Nokia or someone else could throw cash at Access to put Palm to bed and there's nothing they could do about it.

Palm had no choice but to make a WM5 device. No investor would ever allow a business to exist at such risk and have the entire company's eggs in one basket. Not owning the IP to one of the core pieces of your product is NOT good.

Like I said I know nothing, but we can't blind ourselves by faith to real business possibilities. It wouldn't be out of character for a Motorola or Nokia to indirectly put a bullet in Palm's head to make sure there's not a new cell phone kid on the block. It's just business. Palm and RIM both have to grow beyond the smartphone market.
    What about the Blackberry Connect that we heard about three mths ago? Does anyone have info on when the 650 is coming w/ the (Blackberry-connect, push E-mail )???[/SIZE][/SIZE]
  17. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    No hard info yet. The general thinking is that Palm will wait until the RIM-NTP lawsuit is settled. There's supposed to be a court hearing regarding that toward the end of February, though something might get announced sooner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretender
    Well, since we're just touting rumours around here, look at this.

See http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=106550
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12