Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So like why no GSM? All these special deals for CDMA phones. Now the 700p is Sprint??

PALM not like GSM or something??
    (global phone people... hello....)

DOH!

Jim ~V3i
    GSM modela are always 6 months behind the CDMA versions.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

what he said
    Yes, Palm likes CDMA first. Other model phones are exclusively GSM or come out GSM first. But if you must have a Treo, we GSM users have to wait.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    It is because sprint pretty much paid for the treo back in the handspring days. they've got a lot of$$ behind the treo.
    Palm has a large stand at the 3GSM World Congress show in Barcelona starting on Feb 13th. Hopefully some good news on future GSM models will be available then.

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Yes, Palm likes CDMA first. Other model phones are exclusively GSM or come out GSM first. But if you must have a Treo, we GSM users have to wait.
    Carriers like CDMA because it is easier to lock users to their network. Palm makes phones that the carriers want to sell. In Europe & Asia GSM and 3GSM are the standard.

In the GSM world its easier to change handsets, as you just take your SIM with you, so Palm will need a great model handset, hopefully the rumoured Hollywood antenna-less model is it.

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    Unfortunately, I'm aware of how behind the times the US is in terms of mobile technology advancement. I see what is offered overseas, and I get very depressed. Our unwillingness to drop CDMA is what's holding us back.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Unfortunately, I'm aware of how behind the times the US is in terms of mobile technology advancement. I see what is offered overseas, and I get very depressed. Our unwillingness to drop CDMA is what's holding us back.
    Don't feel so bad, you get Palm models first! We can't even get a 700w if we want one

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    The O2 Atom is a good device to tide you over until you can get a GSM 700w.

but then compare what happens between the CDMA release...when the sprint 650 came out it was buggy as sin...but when the GSM one came out..it was much less buggy from what was compared...so let the CDMA people have all the "fun"
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    but then compare what happens between the CDMA release...when the sprint 650 came out it was buggy as sin...but when the GSM one came out..it was much less buggy from what was compared...so let the CDMA people have all the "fun"
    Good point.
    Let them work out the Bugs
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    So what is the big deal about GSM? Wht is it so much better than CDMA? other than you can use it overseas. If you are a average american who never goes overseas is GSM still that much better? I used to be a Cingular Customer, and will say straight up my sprint network is much clear and all around better.

THis is not a knock just a curious question what is better about GSM vs, CDMA? and what is better about CDMA vs. GSM? there has to be some reason CDMA is still around in the USA, right?

THanks for your help with the questions.
    Folks, those who are convinced GSM is still the best need to come to the understanding that because GSM was "standardized" it has held BACK progress. The upgrade path for both current GSM and current CDMA is W-CDMA. It's just taking a while to merge the two as those governments stanardized a technology to make it a better base for it's population, but in doing so has slowed progress on expanding the technology.

I'm not saying I prefer cdma or that it's "best". I use cdma because I travel a LOT and in the USA cdma is the only technology that travels into rural areas very well (forgetting about TDMA here).

The USA is a mostly high technology country which has caused CDMA to come out on top here. Granted, overseas GSM is on top. It's all a matter of how you look at it. But in time, they will merge. And we can all be one happy group.
    Word up Shadow, that's a great response.
    Palm and Sprint do have some sort of business agreement. But nowadays, there are really only 4 carriers, sprint (CDMA), verizon (CDMA), cingular (GSM), tmobile (GSM). T-mobile is out, they never even carried the 650! So it's really 2 to 1 here, and EVDO is a MAIN selling point to this 'upgrade'.
    Posts like these are few in this forum because most GSM people have good reason to own their phones and are generally very understanding of the facts and the way things are. I mean, GSMers will probably only get EDGE and they're still happy. That's saying something
    Last edited by g-funkster; 02/05/2006 at 01:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tj0827
    So what is the big deal about GSM? Wht is it so much better than CDMA? other than you can use it overseas. If you are a average american who never goes overseas is GSM still that much better? I used to be a Cingular Customer, and will say straight up my sprint network is much clear and all around better.

THis is not a knock just a curious question what is better about GSM vs, CDMA?
    -You get about 50% more battery life outta a GSM phone than equivalent CDMA since CDMA needs more oomph to send signal.
    -Not sure what if anythng that means with regard to your brain cells
    - You can swap SIM's with GSM. For example, wife wants to borrow my car to use GPS. We swap SIMS and I use here phone for a day, she uses mine. All my calls ring on her phoen which I am now using and visa versa.
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster
    Posts like these are few in this forum because most GSM people have good reason to own their phones and are generally very understanding of the facts and the way things are. I mean, GSMers will probably only get EDGE and they're still happy. That's saying something
    Datawise, they seem to be leapfrogging over one another. GSM'ers enjoyed EDGE while CDMA 650 users watched an EVDO rollout they couldn't use. When the 650 was released, Verizon had 20 metro areas w/ EVDO ...now they are up to 60. So if you in one of theose 60, very good for you unlesss you often travel outside those areas. f you ain't EVDO ain't gonna eman much.

With the 700w being released, EVDO now in 60 cities whereas UTMS/HDSPA is in 20. For those on Sprint, my guess is palm is timing the release with Sprint having equivalent coverage. By the time a GSM 700 is released HDSPA 3.6 (twice EVDO's d/l speed, several orders of magnitude advantage in upload speed) will be somewhere between the 20 metro areas it has now and 60. By years end, everyone is claiming to have complete major market coverage. Of course by the next round of Treos, I expect EVDO2 or whatever they call it will be making hay and it will steal the crown yet again.

Again, this is most importantly a phone so what you get best in your area and what it costs. Though Sprint's $15 unlimited data plan ($5 more for Cingular) is attractive, the Sprint voice plan for the same No. of minutes was $10 more when I started my contract. Last week, with 4 phones, Sprint was still more for combined voice / data than Cingular. Verizon's outta my range at $45 a month.

Another key consuderation is who you call and what they use....I didn't take this into account and as a result have over 7000 rollover minutes cause most of the peeps I am calling are on the same network so no charge. I could have used a much cheaper plan with less minutes and now none aree available with less minutes.

But most important is how often you connect and drop in your main areas. In Sunday's paper, Cingular quotes a recent independent study that said "no carrier had fewer dropped calls". Translating out of marketing speak, that tells me that at least one other carrier did as well as they did....at least in that study. I also have Verizon phone and the Cingular phone is my primary use simply because it gets better reception here on eastern Long Island. If the Verizon was better a CDMA phone would be my choice.

If CDMA and GSM were the same with regard to cost and quality, then it comes down to battery life and SIM swaps as the proverbial "kicker". Battery Life and SIM swap-ability are definitive advantages for GSM. But equal cost and performance will be rare and I would expect more people will be swayed to switch carriers to get "new customer discounts" than anything else.

Oooh forgot one thing. If you have a OnStar equipped vehicle, you can share bills / minutes witha verizon account. Definite plus for CDMA / Verizon.
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 02/05/2006 at 04:32 PM. Reason: added OnStar comment
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    The USA is a mostly high technology country which has caused CDMA to come out on top here. Granted, overseas GSM is on top. It's all a matter of how you look at it. But in time, they will merge. And we can all be one happy group.

I'm sorry, but USA was the less advanced country in mobile tecnology in the planet, only now US peoples and companies are recovering the gap with the rest of the world.

Only stupid political motivation has prevented the wide use of the GSM in the states.

Today is easier to call from HongKong wit an Italian phone than call in California with a cellphone bought in NewYork.
    Along the lines of what Shadowmite said...

GSM is ancient technology. CDMA is technically superior in most areas. The next level is W-CDMA for both, which is based on CDMA. GSM has a couple advantages, but is not a better technology. Just because more countries use it as a standard doesn't mean it is better.

It's kinda like saying that Windows is technically superior to Linux or Mac, simply because more people use it.

-Randy
    CDMA is technically superior in most areas.
    We are not speaking about technology, we are speaking about the use of the phones, and in this area GSM is superior by far.

If we are speaking of pure technology the CDMA can be better than slotted technology like GSM, but is terrific that almost all copyright on this tecnology are owned by ONE company (Qualcomm), this can be sufficient to not use this technology at all.
    Last edited by The Solutor; 02/05/2006 at 06:51 PM.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast