Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1.    #61  
    K, I like GSM cause ATT had it, Cingular has it, and t-mobile has it. They were all cheaper than Verizon and better phones, IMHO, than V or Sprint.

Verizon is a rip off as far as I'm concerned.

I also like that with the sim, I can use multiple devices based on what I need. I have a v3i Razr and an SX66. I can switch between them at will. Sprint and V, no luv there.

Okay, please go back to your GSM/CDMA debate now.

Regards
    Jim
    Heard that Sprint is going to have some kind of "virtual sim" technology that will let you switch phones as easily as you can with GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimHoboken
    K, I like GSM cause ATT had it, Cingular has it, and t-mobile has it. They were all cheaper than Verizon and better phones, IMHO, than V or Sprint.

Verizon is a rip off as far as I'm concerned.

I also like that with the sim, I can use multiple devices based on what I need. I have a v3i Razr and an SX66. I can switch between them at will. Sprint and V, no luv there.

Okay, please go back to your GSM/CDMA debate now.

Regards
    Jim
    Sprint's been cheaper than all of the GSM-based carriers for forever, and their data plan kicks the gravy out of Verizon as well. And b/c you can roam on Verizon's network for $5 extra a month, their coverage is just awesome. (Altho, it's gotten to the point where their own network has really made strides from a couple of years ago.)

I think CDMA and TDMA were based on the idea that two people are trying to talk to each other across a crowded room. (where the crowds in between represent others on the bandwidth) Instead of shouting louder, they initiate a call by exchanging an id, and only listen to messages using that id. That's a poor layman's understanding tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by ricochet
    I think CDMA and TDMA were based on the idea that two people are trying to talk to each other across a crowded room. (where the crowds in between represent others on the bandwidth) Instead of shouting louder, they initiate a call by exchanging an id, and only listen to messages using that id. That's a poor layman's understanding tho.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $that$'$s$ $true$ $for$ $CDMA$, $not$ $for$ $TDMA$. $In$ $CDMA$ $everybody$ $speaks$ $at$ $the$ $same$ $time$ $and$ $the$ $listener$ $only$ $listens$ $to$ $the$ $specified$ $ID$, $while$ $in$ $TDMA$ $at$ $a$ $certain$ $time$ $only$ $one$ $can$ $speak$ $and$ $the$ $listener$ $only$ $listens$ $to$ $the$ $specified$ $time$ $slot$.
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    Heard that Sprint is going to have some kind of "virtual sim" technology that will let you switch phones as easily as you can with GSM.

Could you please elaborate on your post? I have not seen anything on this subject. Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by ricochet
    Sprint's been cheaper than all of the GSM-based carriers for forever, and their data plan kicks the gravy out of Verizon as well.
    Last time I checked, and when I renewed my contract, Sprint was cheaper for data by $5 but $10 more expensive for voice and with 50 less minutes.

Here's what I compared back in February 2005

Cingular

1st phone - $59.99 w/ 850 minutes + $19.95 data
    2nd phone - $9.99
    3rd Phone - $9.99
    4th Phone - $9.99

Sprint

1st phone - $69.99 w/ 800 minutes + $14.95 data
    2nd phone - $9.99
    3rd Phone - $9.99
    4th Phone - $9.99
    I understand Cingular charge 40 now for internet for Treo (regular phone is still 20) and Tmobile internet is now 30.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    I understand Cingular charge 40 now for internet for Treo (regular phone is still 20) and Tmobile internet is now 30.
    Nope:

https://www.cingular.com/media/media_net_purchase

Unlimited Data = $19.95
    Unlimited Data + VPN = $39.95
    That same link says the treo is not compatible for the 19.99 plan, and you must get the 39.99 plan. I know the 19.99 works, because I have it, but sometimes it is hard to get it from a cingular rep if they know you have a treo.
    T-Mobile is only 30 if you don't have a voice plan. If you have a voice plan it's only 20.

Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by Voices Carry
    That same link says the treo is not compatible for the 19.99 plan, and you must get the 39.99 plan. I know the 19.99 works, because I have it, but sometimes it is hard to get it from a cingular rep if they know you have a treo.
    Yes, it depends on how you classify the Treo....what I am geting from them is "smartphones" can use the $19.95 plan, PDA's (now essentially defined as BB connect and access to corporate e-mail) requires a PDA plan. The Treo can act as both a SP and PDA hence the confusion.

Best bet anyway is to add the plan yourself thru "My Features" page on web site.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    AHem... isn't the 'Hollywood' supposed to be the top-of-the-line model, and isn't it expected to be GSM only first?

Think about it - if Palm has three new phones, you release them in order of worst to best (spec-wise) - 700w w/ limited ram and 240x240 screen, 700p with more RAM and higher-res screen, then the Hollywood with a supposed great slim form factor.

Who would care about the 700p if the Hollywood was already announced and available?

(And Lowrider comes out in time for the low-end Christmas shopping season).

I think Cingular/T-Mo/GSM users will be laughing the loudest this December, and I'm a Sprint user.
    I've read on several European websites that Hollywood is probably a 3G/3-band GSM phone targeted for the European market.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234