Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster
    I mean, GSMers will probably only get EDGE and they're still happy. That's saying something
    UMTS is coming SOON!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by zesta
    Along the lines of what Shadowmite said...

GSM is ancient technology. CDMA is technically superior in most areas. The next level is W-CDMA for both, which is based on CDMA. GSM has a couple advantages, but is not a better technology. Just because more countries use it as a standard doesn't mean it is better.

It's kinda like saying that Windows is technically superior to Linux or Mac, simply because more people use it.

-Randy
    Please explain how GSM is obsolete. And why most GSM phones have more advanced features.

I have also heard that WCDMA really ISN'T based on CDMA. Although I can't say if that's really true or not.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Solutor
    I'm sorry, but USA was the less advanced country in mobile tecnology in the planet, only now US peoples and companies are recovering the gap with the rest of the world.

I have to agree. I see what comes out of the Far East, where much of the hot new technology is coming from. CDMA, what CDMA??

oh no...i see where this thread is going -- another long drawn out thread about which is better, GSM or CDMA? Just end that argument here and realize that there are pros and cons to both and depending on where you live and use your phone the most determines what you should have. I've been pretty happy with Cingular but there are times (when in rural areas) that I wish I had Verizon. But then again I think battery drain, horrible call clarity, and the ability to receive calls when using data would drive me nuts if I had a CDMA Treo. There's no conclusive BEST service. Just what you're willing to trade-off and accept in your service.
    Quote Originally Posted by phattysalz
    been pretty happy with Cingular but there are times (when in rural areas) that I wish I had Verizon. But then again I think battery drain, horrible call clarity, and the ability to receive calls when using data would drive me nuts if I had a CDMA Treo.
    Oh boy, I really wish you could have ended it right there, but there you go. You wish you had Verizon for better reception (you just admitted it). Battery drain only happens to CDMA under extremely low reception, which you're saying wouldn't happen if you had Verizon. Horrible Call Clarity?? Ability to receive calls when using data...I thought only EV-DO fully supports that..a CDMA technology.

As I and others (and yourself, to an extent) said before, you choose your wireless technology based on your needs.

Edit: I've read that GSM does send calls to voicemail during active data transfers. See: here and here
    Last edited by g-funkster; 02/06/2006 at 09:40 AM.
    AHem... isn't the 'Hollywood' supposed to be the top-of-the-line model, and isn't it expected to be GSM only first?

Think about it - if Palm has three new phones, you release them in order of worst to best (spec-wise) - 700w w/ limited ram and 240x240 screen, 700p with more RAM and higher-res screen, then the Hollywood with a supposed great slim form factor.

Who would care about the 700p if the Hollywood was already announced and available?

(And Lowrider comes out in time for the low-end Christmas shopping season).

I think Cingular/T-Mo/GSM users will be laughing the loudest this December, and I'm a Sprint user.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster
    Oh boy, I really wish you could have ended it right there, but there you go. You wish you had Verizon for better reception (you just admitted it). Battery drain only happens to CDMA under extremely low reception, which you're saying wouldn't happen if you had Verizon. Horrible Call Clarity?? Ability to receive calls when using data...I thought only EV-DO fully supports that..a CDMA technology.

As I and others (and yourself, to an extent) said before, you choose your wireless technology based on your needs.
    I wish I could have ended it there too (and thought I had). Yes, better reception when in rural areas. I'm hardly in rural areas but I'm just saying CDMA has better rural coverage if that is where you live.

My Treo is connected to the net 100% of the time to receive email, stay connected to AIM, etc... I receive every call. GPRS/EDGE supports this and has supported it for years. It doesn't send your calls to voicemail like 1xrtt or whatever it's called. I realize EV-DO adds this support but the coverage of EVDO is limited to urban areas. I have GPRS/EDGE pretty much everywhere Cingular is covered.

Just had to clarify that.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    OK...

From everything I've read, technically CDMA is superior technology. But GSM is more widespread, so just like I use this crappy windows machine so I can do my windows based work, I need GSM so when I get off the plane in some exotic location, my phone still works. It's what you use the phone for that drives the best solution.

That said, to get back to the original post, I share the frustration that GSM lags so much. My biggest concern: everyone says that one of the reasons the built the 700w was to appeal to the European market. So the windows version will be released in Eurpope before the POS version?

So 700w/GSM this summer (6 mos after initial release) and 700p/GSM end of year (6 mos after CDMS release of 700p)?

6-12 months for an POS/GSM upgrade? I think I'm going to have to stop visiting this board... it's too depressing.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Please explain how GSM is obsolete. And why most GSM phones have more advanced features.

I have also heard that WCDMA really ISN'T based on CDMA. Although I can't say if that's really true or not.
    WCDMA is indeed based on CDMA, but it is specifically adapted to GSM, from what I understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by ninodelsol
    WCDMA is indeed based on CDMA, but it is specifically adapted to GSM, from what I understand.
    The UMTS sistem uses the W-CDMA technology to transmit data.

W-CDMA is an evolved kind of CDMA and was choosen by GSM org as upgrade path from GSM phones.

Simply the UMTS/GSM phones are dual mode phones that allows comunication in both standards.

Obviously UMTS mantain all the GSM strengts (easy carrier swapping, easy roaming, widespread use, etc.)

Resuming

CDMA intended as network transport system is better than F/TDMA (used by GSM)

CDMA intended as telephone standard is behind GSM for a lot of reasons (same of the already mentioned above)

Obviously again if you have CDMA coverage only, CDMA is shurely better than anything else
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    GSM modela are always 6 months behind the CDMA versions.
    So why did the 650 come out w/ cingular before verizon?
    Is it because Verizon wanted to do more testing on the 650 before release?
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    So why did the 650 come out w/ cingular before verizon?
    Is it because Verizon wanted to do more testing on the 650 before release?
    Sprint had it first. The CDMA version was first. Carrier specifics are semantics.
    the reason phones are released at such a high rate overseas as compared to in the US is because the US is THE LARGEST target, very difficult to break in to and EXTREMELY unforgiving. companies will releaase models first overseas to test them out and work out bugs. IF they are worthy they are released into the US market. It is a huge expense to release in the US and one false move could ruin a companies hopes of ever having a second chance.

Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Datawise, they seem to be leapfrogging over one another. GSM'ers enjoyed EDGE while CDMA 650 users watched an EVDO rollout they couldn't use.
    CDMA'ers don't give a crap about EDGE as this FINALLY gave GSM data speeds on par with CDMA technology that had been around for years

Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    You can swap SIM's with GSM. For example, wife wants to borrow my car to use GPS. We swap SIMS and I use here phone for a day, she uses mine. All my calls ring on her phoen which I am now using and visa versa.
    this is a choice by carriers, not a limitation. CDMA can (and does on some carriers in China) use sim cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by lovedatreo
    CDMA'ers don't give a crap about EDGE as this FINALLY gave GSM data speeds on par with CDMA technology that had been around for years
    It certainly showed a difference to PC Mag in their performance tests:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1772935,00.asp (hit test results link)
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1772932,00.asp

In practice, with latency factored in, speeds are comparable for routine e-mail / browsing usage but when d/l'ing large files, EDGE definitely has an ....well....edge. I wouldn't much care one way or the other for routine usage but if I gotta D/L five 1 MB files from the office, I'l take EDGE anyday ..... unless EVDO (60 cities) or better yet HDSPA (20 cities) is available. Probably not an issue to most, but a definite advantage to some who find themselves in that situation.

I am kinda glad with this leapfroggoing actually, if one side always had the advantage, the slow guy would crumble and there'd be no competition. If I had my way, the 3 major carriers would all have 30 % of the market with 10% left for the little guys just to keep tham honest.

Quote Originally Posted by lovedatreo
    this is a choice by carriers, not a limitation. CDMA can (and does on some carriers in China) use sim cards.
    Well it's certainly limitation if I can't buy or use one. You have TomTom on your Treo and the wife wants to go traveling with the girls to some spa for the weekend. Choices:

1. Give her your phone for the weekend.
    2. Buy another copy of TomTom
    3. Swap SIMS

I am going boating, skiing or some other rough and tumble activity:

1. Leave my phone at home / in car or risk it getting damaged.
    2. Keep 2nd trash phone with active account
    3. Keep 2nd trash SIM equipped phone and no extra account.

In China apparently I might be able to choose option 3 but not here in the US unless I have GSM phone.

Is this a deal breaker ? No, I'd certainly give up the extra battery life and SIM swapping if I got better service in my area from CDMA but all things being equal, I'll take them.
    I haven't used a CDMA phone but from what I understand it's pretty easy to swap phones on your verizon online account. As long as you own both phones.

Of course you can't move the address book but it's still an improvment. The upside is people can't steal your CDMA phone and resell it.
    the reason phones are released at such a high rate overseas as compared to in the US is because the US is THE LARGEST target, very difficult to break in to and EXTREMELY unforgiving. companies will releaase models first overseas to test them out and work out bugs. IF they are worthy they are released into the US market. It is a huge expense to release in the US and one false move could ruin a companies hopes of ever having a second chance.

I suppose you are joking.

I had my first GSM phone when you have seen it only on SF movies.

In Finland, Sweden, UK, Italy, Germany, etc every person has at least two chellphones, in those countries all the carrier are covering every single bit of territory, the GSM users are over 1.500.000.000, (when the CDMA users are less than 200.000.000), etc...

And you are convinced that US is the main market ?
    Just remember that some have a hard time realizing this is now a GLOBAL economy.

I have to agree. I see what comes out of the Far East, where much of the hot new technology is coming from. CDMA, what CDMA??
    Hate to jump into this late, but a lot of cell phone advances are being done in South Korea, which is all CDMA. Mainland China also has a damn good CDMA network.

Please. I like GSM -- I have it, but I don't think you know what's going on in the Far East....
    Why when I looked on websites where they were selling phones from the Far East, were all the phones I saw GSM? I think I saw 3G too.

Do you have another website link I can look at?

By the way, where are most Panasonic phones sold? Does anyone know? I have not seen the thin ones over here.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast