Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    built in support for mp3 ringers and sms
    built in voice dialing
    built in java
    built in flash

it is abusrd to think this caliber of phone cannot do these out of the box
    ^ i kno right!!!

And plus I've seen the newer palms have a skinnable launcher, so I'm hoping that feature makes it into the Treo like the Agenda view did into the 650.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Push-to-Talk/Ready link Capability.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    The 'improvements' over the treo 650 is very minimal, only the die hards will buy the 700p.
    considering the competition has like nokia e61, motorolaq, p990i ,etc has some nice features, I think the treo700p will sell much less units than the 650.
    Couldn't agree more, Since I live in an area that doesn't get EVDO, I can't think of any reason to make the jump from the 650. I really wanted a new phone, but this certainly isn't enough of an improvement for me to want the 700p. I feel like someone just ran over my dog, the 700p is quite a let down and I'm not aware of anything else on the horizon to get excited about. Hollywood is my "dream" phone, but I'm a CDMA/Sprint guy, so that's not going to help.
    You got to be kidding me. Did you guys actually compare the spec? The E61 and P990 don't even have edge. We are taking about 6kbps compare to 400-600kbps of the 700p in the US.

The Q doesn't have a touch screen. I can't even call it a 'PDA phone'. It's basically a gorified backberry. There are much better phones out there that can stack up to the 700p.

If you get a symbian phone. I feel sorry for you and your internet speed from the early 80s. And if you live in europe, I feel sorry for the data rate your mobile operator bend you over and charge you. That's all.
    There's plenty of reason to jump to the 700p. And who knows, by the time it comes out EVDO might be in your area!
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    You got to be kidding me. Did you guys actually compare the spec? The E61 and P990 don't even have edge. We are taking about 6kbps compare to 400-600kbps of the 700p in the US.

The Q doesn't have a touch screen. I can't even call it a 'PDA phone'. It's basically a gorified backberry. There are much better phones out there that can stack up to the 700p.
    E61 has WCDMA, which is much better than EDGE, where supported. The Q runs WinMob SMartphone, which does not need a touchscreen (Like the Treo 650, for the most part). In my experience, Smartphone is much more Palm-like, and probably would have been a better choice for the Treo 700w if they wanted to retain their trademark "Ease of Use."

If you get a symbian phone. I feel sorry for you and your internet speed from the early 80s. And if you live in europe, I feel sorry for the data rate your mobile operator bend you over and charge you. That's all.
    6kbps? GPRS is faster than that as you probably know, so I assume that's a typo.

Anyway, we'll see later this summer whether Cingular will switch their UMTS to the 2100 band that the E61 and SE P990 use, and if T-Mobile latches onto that band for their forthcoming rollout. Data rates on UMTS I'm sure will be sky-high too. At least the U.S. is finally moving along on 3G!

Lack of EDGE aside, the E61 has an overall nice spec. Sure to be an expensive device.
    The 700p has the same operating system, same form factor, the same damn phone - just a little faster with a little more memory. I've got the most stable 650 on the planet (apparently, maybe one reset a week) and I've learned to live with the tiny memory. Until the high spped network reaches Springfield IL, there's no reason to switch.

I don't get why everyone's so thrilled. There's so much Palm could have done to make this the new must-have gadget. Had they put these specs in the Hollywood form factor, they'd have a winner. Same with a new operating system.
    Last edited by BrotherNov; 02/07/2006 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Forgot a key point
    Quote Originally Posted by sbono13
    E61 has WCDMA, which is much better than EDGE, where supported. The Q runs WinMob SMartphone, which does not need a touchscreen (Like the Treo 650, for the most part). In my experience, Smartphone is much more Palm-like, and probably would have been a better choice for the Treo 700w if they wanted to retain their trademark "Ease of Use."

Are you trying to say the lack of touch screen make MotoQ easier to use? I am not going to touch that.

Even if I want a smartphone. There are much better choices out there. The Sony M600 for example. It's alot smaller and better looking. Perfectly cater to the "hey look guys I use a smartphone I am a serious businessman although I really just use the phone function" crowds. edit: And it has touchscreen too!
    Last edited by whatever7; 02/07/2006 at 04:20 PM.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Are you trying to say the lack of touch screen make MotoQ easier to use? I am not going to touch that.

Even if I want a touchscreen-less smartphone. There are much better choices out there. The Sony M600 for example. It's alot smaller and better looking. Perfectly cater to the "hey look guys I use a smartphone I am a serious businessman although I really just use the phone function" crowds.
    I'm saying that Smartphone is easier to use, and it happens to have no touchscreen. Lack of touchscreen is not a "feature" to desire, but it doesn't have to be a detriment. Certainly, MotoQ is not going to be the smallest WinMob Smartphone device, but it's the smallest one with a QWERTY keyboard, and that should make it a strong contender (not to mention the only one with EVDO).

I've never seen the M600, so I can't comment, but it sounds like it supports the notion that the 700p's competition is closing in. Palm could have done more to distance themselves, rather than what looks like a simple product refresher.
    Not to continue the threadjacking, but Nokia themselves state that the E61 has EDGE:

http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/0,,0...html?model=E61 (see Network Data Support)

- and -

http://europe.nokia.com/nokia/0,6771,81719,00.html (see Data Transfer; "EGPRS" is EDGE)

Just wanted us all (including myself) to make sure we're talking about the same thing and get the facts right.

Is there an E61 variant without EDGE?
    ^^ That's good to hear. When I googled its spec I couldn't see it.

When is it coming out?

When is it coming out?
    All we know so far is "Q1"
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I think another thing worth considering is that there are a lot of people (myself included) who didn't upgrade to the 650 from the 600. Having an original Handspring GSM Treo 600, I haven't experienced any problems, have a bright screen (not that blueish one so many people got stuck with) and have been very satisfied with the device. The 650 didn't offer me enough (bluetooth & better screen) reason to upgrade. Now, comparing a 600 to a 700, the gap is much wider. Better screen, more memory, faster chip, FAT32 support, better keyboard, better bluetooth, EVDO, newer OS, etc. So keep in mind all of those 600 users who didn't take the plunge.
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}

When is it coming out?
    Update: mid-February is the word (rumored), likely end of Feb or early March (more confident rumor).
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Here are the specs we already know:

But I have a few little nit picks about the Palm OS that I would like to share with Palm. We have now seen the, or I think we have seen the new 700P and I wanted to address a few issues I have and I am a sure a few other have. We would like you to consider making these changes before you release the 700P or whatever it is going to be called. Now I am not too sure that these changes haven't been done already. But, I would like these things from the 650 fixed. Also, for some of you other posters please list your grievances here now, or forever hold your peace.

Also if you KNOW some specs please list them here.

My Wish List
    For the calendar:

Floating Appt.
    Link Contacts (Or be able to choose different numbers within a contact and not just the main number)
    Pop up enabler (Set Snooze and other tasks)

For Contacts:

Sort by First Name
    Journal Function

For Blazer:
    Leave webpage in cache or ram
    When we start blazer do not go to connect just show webpage, then connect when following a link or an address is entered in

For Phone:

MP3 support (ringers)
    Record Calls
    Fix the Call waiting/Conference issue
    LOVE YOUR QUOTE FROM MADISON.

I WANT TO SAY THAT I EXPECTED PALMS DARLING 700 SERIES TO AT LEAST BE MORE RELIABLE THAN THE PREVIOUS MODELS BUT NO FAT CHANCE ON THAT. I HAVE HAD THREE 700'S OVER THE LAST TWO MONTHS ALONG WITH MY FRIENDS. PALM HAS ADMITTED SEVERAL BUGS ARE BEING WORKED ON BUT WHEN HAVE WE HEARD THIS BEFORE. I PERSONALLY AM NOT GETTING THE PAYCHECKS FOR ALL THIS TESTING WE ALL DO. ARE YOU?
    OVER TIME THE USERS WILL FIND WHAT I ALREADY KNOW. THIS IS NOT WHAT WE PAID RETAIL FOR. I USE MY 700 SERIES FOR FULL TIME BUISNESS OR AT LEAST TRY TO. SO FAR THE 700 SERIES LOCKS UP SEVERAL TIMES A DAY AND WITH NO BLUETOOTH VOICE DIAL JUST TO MENTION A FEW. IF YOU ARE A LIGHT USER OR PHONE AND SONGS - THEN YOU WILL PROBABLY NOT BE SO CONCERNED BUT I HAVE TO GET BUISENESS DONE. I DONT CARE IF THE FULL SCREEN IS BLUURYY ON VIDEOS OR THAT THE MUSIC SOUNDS GREAT. THIS IS SOLD AS A FULL TIME BUISNESS TOOL WITH A FEW MEDIA FEATURES. CHECK MY RANT AS ONE PERSON CALLED IT AT PERFECTMW. I ONLY AM REPORTING WHAT IS HAPPENING AFTER USING 3 OF THE 700 SERIES UNITS AND MY FRIENDS REPORT THE SAME PROBLEMS.
    IF YOU USE THIS DEVICE WITH UNLIMITED DATA AND BUISNESS
    PLEASE SHARE WITH US YOUR LONG TERM EXPERIANCE.
    GOOD LUCK
    Love Your Quote From Madison.

I Want To Say That I Expected Palms Darling 700 Series To At Least Be More Reliable Than The Previous Models But No Fat Chance On That. I Have Had Three 700's Over The Last Two Months Along With My Friends. Palm Has Admitted Several Bugs Are Being Worked On But When Have We Heard This Before. I Personally Am Not Getting The Paychecks For All This Testing We All Do. Are You?
    Over Time The Users Will Find What I Already Know. This Is Not What We Paid Retail For. I Use My 700 Series For Full Time Buisness Or At Least Try To. So Far The 700 Series Locks Up Several Times A Day And With No Bluetooth Voice Dial Just To Mention A Few. If You Are A Light User Or Phone And Songs - Then You Will Probably Not Be So Concerned But I Have To Get Buiseness Done. I Dont Care If The Full Screen Is Bluuryy On Videos Or That The Music Sounds Great. This Is Sold As A Full Time Buisness Tool With A Few Media Features. Check My Rant As One Person Called It At Perfectmw. I Only Am Reporting What Is Happening After Using 3 Of The 700 Series Units And My Friends Report The Same Problems.
    If You Use This Device With Unlimited Data And Buisness
    Please Share With Us Your Long Term Experiance.
    Good Luck
    But I have a few little nit picks about the Palm OS that I would like to share with Palm. We have now seen the, or I think we have seen the new 700P and I wanted to address a few issues I have and I am a sure a few other have. We would like you to consider making these changes before you release the 700P or whatever it is going to be called. Now I am not too sure that these changes haven't been done already. But, I would like these things from the 650 fixed. Also, for some of you other posters please list your grievances here now, or forever hold your peace.

Also if you KNOW some specs please list them here.

AS YOU SAID THERE ARE SEVERAL FIXES NEEDED FOR THE 700 SERIES. PALM TELLS ME THIS WEEK THAT BLUETOOTH VOICE DIALINGS IS BROKE AND THEY HAVE NO IDEA IF IT CAN BE FIXED. THIS IS A SAFTEY AND CONVIENENCE MISSING IN ACTION.
    ALSO ITS NICE TO RECORD YOUR OWN RINGER THAT WILL ANNOUNCE WHO IS CALLING BUT THE MIC AND SPEAKER ARE POOR QUALITY WITH THIS USAGE.
    I PAY A LOT OF MONEY TO THESE COMPANIES BUT DONT EVER GET THE WHOLE PRODUCT AS SOLD. I HAVE TRIED OTHERS AND THEY HAVE PROBLEMS ALSO.

THE LATEST DARLING 700 SERIES IS JUST NOT READY FOR FULL TIME BUISNESS USE. USING THE UNLIMITED DATA WITH THE 700 SERIES ALL DAY LONG WILL SHOW WHAT I AND OTHERS ARE EXPERIANCING.
    ITS NOT WHAT YOU EXPECT AFTER ALL THE 650 SERIES PROBLEMS. YOU WILL HAVE TO HOPE AND WAIT FOR THE 800 SERIES TO LOOK FOR A RELIABLE DEVICE OR SO WE ARE TOLD.
    THE POWER RED BUTTON SOMETIMES DOES NOT RESPOND TO YOUR PRESSING. THE DIALING UP/CONNECTING BOX BLOCKS YOUR SCREEN MANY TIMES A DAY. AND YOU MUST LEARN TO MANUALLY CLOSE YOUR PROGRAMS JUST LIKE LAST CENTURY DOS OR THE 700 WILL SLOW DOWN AND FREEZE SOLID. YOU WILL NOT LIKE TAKING THE BACK OFF AND RESETING AND WAITING SEVERAL TIMES A DAY.
    IF YOU ARE A FULL TIME BUISNESS USER. WHO DOES NOT CARE THAT FULL SCREEN VIDEOS ARE BLUUURY AT BEST. OTHER WISE LISTENING TO YOUR MUSIC ON THE 700 SERIES IS GREAT OR A LEAST THE BEST ONE SO FAR.
    I HOPE PALM WILL REALLY FIX THE 700 SERIES BUT BASED ON HISTORY A NEW BETTER MODEL WILL BE RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER=OR AT LEAST A BETTER STYLYN ONE..
    Last edited by perfectmw; 02/09/2006 at 07:01 AM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast