Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by frank-barnett
    this time, I think I'm going to wait this version out some.
    That's what they all say. In all, the improvements do measure up beyond the 600->650. In fact, if they offered a 600 with a HighRes screen, that would've been great.. NVFS sure was bad at first. Bluetooth? Gimme a break. Same Memory, same internet speed.

Frank, have you noticed your username sounds a lot like FrankenGarnet?
    Quote Originally Posted by trowa
    I think the GSM version hasn't been announced for the simple reason you stated, the UMTS/HSDPA rollout hasn't been moving very quickly.
    Seems it's moving about as fast as EVDO did. HDSPA now in 20 cities....EVDO in 60. A year ago it was 6 and 20 IIRC. OTOH, HDSPA 3.6 was not expected until 2007 and it's already beenor being implemented in those 20 cities.
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trowa
    I would like to think that Palm is doing the right thing, not rushing a PalmLinux version
    Unless Jeff Hawkins has changed his mind, there ain't gonna be a Linux Palm any time soon. He's on record as believing open source good, but Linux bad for mobile devices because it was never designed for them. Palm OS's big advantage has always been that, unlike baby Windows, it was designed from the start for mobile computing.

Hawkins, who gave us both the original Palm and the Treo, is still working maybe half time as Palm's Chief Technology Officer. These days he's apparently working on the next generation -- which may turn out to be a desktop that fits in your pocket. That might be a place where Linux would fit.
    .. no stubby antenna

The treo Hollywood will take care of this...
    Bob
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    Why is it when these photos start to leak, you get maybe 1 or 2 photos? Wouldn't you ALL if you had one take a TON of photos of it? Why just 1 or 2? Makes me NOT believe it. Think about it

Karl
    www.justsayok.net
    Quote Originally Posted by karlz
    Why is it when these photos start to leak, you get maybe 1 or 2 photos? Wouldn't you ALL if you had one take a TON of photos of it? Why just 1 or 2? Makes me NOT believe it. Think about it

Karl
    www.justsayok.net
    really...who cares if you don't believe it?
    Not me...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Comments on a few of the comments above:

Keyboard: I find the keyboard on the 650 to be dramatically better than on the 600, but then I have small fingers. Haven't tried a 700W yet, but I haven't heard many complaints about it.

Antenna: I've heard other people say that CDMA phones "need" an external antenna, but that doesn't hold water. My son's LG (Sprint) flip phone has no external antenna at all. And my wife's and other son's Nokia phones have a slim antenna that can be fully retracted. And as long as the signal is strong, they work fine with the antenna retracted.

A caution: don't get too sucked in by the specs of this specific device. It's preproduction, and things can, and likely will, change.

My impressions: It is a bit disapointing, although I am eager to see what software improvements their might be. EV-DO is probably the only reason I'd upgrade. The increase in memory is nice, but not really enough to eliminate the need for an SD card and some kind of memory management. Now if it had 256MB, that would be great. Even 128 might be enough to hold all my apps. But 64? Not a chance.

The increased cache shoulc be good for stability, though.

Getting 4 hard buttons back is great, though, and probably worth the tradeoff of having the menu key back at the bottom. In reality, I don't use the menu key all that often, and I can live with one shift key.

I'll likely upgrade, but probably not until it's been out long enough for the price to fall a bit. Unless, that is, I can get another $300 coupon from a Treo Roadshow. (But I don't think they're doing that for the 700W).
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    The other thread is ridiculously long. I thought we can use another one just to discuss the Treo 700p spec.

So this is for the people who believe in the 700p. Thanks Merlyn_3D. If you have doubt about the leak, this thread is for you.

* PalmOS 5.4.9/1.3Mp camera/320X320 screen/EVDO
    this is exactly what I expect from a 650 successor. Conservative and incremental upgrade.

* Bluetooth 2.0 (<--not comfirmed)
    Holy sh!t Palm finally get back to the bleeding edge of the technology once for a change.

* CUP speed same as 650 but double the memory size

* Bundled pTunes. Well they did it for the LifeDrive so it makes sense to me.

* No wifi, well that's Palm for you. But again there is EVDO so no biggie.

* Lack of menu button?
    I donno, why are there a green call button and a "phone" button up there? Aren't they the same thing? Hopefully I can use one of them as "menu" button in other apps.

* The look
    I like the black accent in the new 700w/p. But I am not too crazy about the black antenna. It looks even more out of place. I still like the originally 600 look the best. O well I will be using the leather case anyway.

* Release date.
    Big question here. For the 700w, every leak or rumor pointed to very similar ballpark, beginning of '06. But for this badboy, we have heard feb, march, april, and god forbid, august. We got the 650 at Dec 2004, when can we get the 700p I can't wait!

I don't see how it could be 2.0. PALM never liscensed 2.0 for anything other than Cobalt, and this phone does not have Cobalt. Cobalt? Well, I'm afraid this leak proves Cobalt is dead.

Now it might be 1.2 (God, I HOPE its 1.2), but with Palm you never know.

Overall though? Hey! Where do I order one?
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    BT 2.0 is the software version number, not the version of BT supported (would bet 1.2 like the 700w)
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    I agree with meyerweb re: the keyboard.

the 650's keyboard is LEAPS AND BOUNDS better than the 600. there is no comparison. 600's was tight, stiff and extremely uncomfortable. palm is heading in the RIGHT direction.

incidentally I tried out the 700w keyboard as well - its about the same as the 650, possibly a bit better. both knock the 600's keyboard out of the water. PERIOD.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Nothing really great that I can see except EVDO.........unfortunately Im not in an area that is covered by sprint. Same screen........no wifi supported at all! I'm very disappointed. My 6700 blows this thing out of the water. I have been waiting to see what upgrades the new palm os treo would have to decide whether to make the switch. If the actual release has the same specs then I will be sticking with my 6700 until I see something with a palm os that impresses me. I much prefer the palm os over WM but it seems like palm just keeps nickel and diming the treos. If the 700w has wifi drivers it seems like the palm version could have incorporated something. I realize that there are alot of variables and differences between the two.....but c'mon!
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    I don't know if it's the same as the 600 (I've never had one), but if I start typing a name on the keyboard, the address book for dialing shows up, if I simply dial a number, it dials fine. It's the General Preferences--> Typing starts Contact search selection.

I doubt it's the same as the 600, but it's an overlooked preference that could confuse some, but I'm comfortable with it.

No stubby for GSM then? Ah, well, the 650 is just going to have to last a few years... if it could ever stop sleep-crashing...

Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk

Treo 600 was the best looking Treo so far, that phone app was perfect. I may start programing again just so I can recreate it and include the feature were you can make a call by the name or the number. …Timmay
    Timmay:

If you recreate that phone app, I suspect you'll get a fair number of takers.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by iomatic
    I don't know if it's the same as the 600 (I've never had one), but if I start typing a name on the keyboard, the address book for dialing shows up, if I simply dial a number, it dials fine. It's the General Preferences--> Typing starts Contact search selection.

I doubt it's the same as the 600, but it's an overlooked preference that could confuse some, but I'm comfortable with it.

No stubby for GSM then? Ah, well, the 650 is just going to have to last a few years... if it could ever stop sleep-crashing...
    In the Treo 180/270/300 you could dial either the name or the number. in the treo 600/650 you have to choose between the name or the number. It's a simple feature but I miss it and i don't want to buy a program to fix it that's over complicated (phone technision is too much for me and i'm a very techie guy).

Guess i'll look into what palm programers are using nower days. I used MetroWorks 8.0 when i did some programing for the Visors 4 years ago.

Timmay
    I’m a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    I have been part of the original thread and the Shadowmnite chat and my only complain is the fckng HARDWARE KEYS LAYOUT. WTF...??? this new layout doesn't make any sense. Now, if Palm allows the user to remap the keys I have no problem with it. Everything else looks good to me. I can't wait.

Al
    In the Treo 180/270/300 you could dial either the name or the number. in the treo 600/650 you have to choose between the name or the number. It's a simple feature but I miss it and i don't want to buy a program to fix it that's over complicated (phone technision is too much for me and i'm a very techie guy).
    TakePHone has this feature, and can be very simple to use/manage if configured properly.

Overall, I am a big underwhelmed with the specs for the 700p. Evdo will be great, but I am hoping for a much smaller/lighter form factor. Maybe something like the Razor.

I still have hopes that the rumored "Hollywood" model will be out in late summer with similar specs as the 700p but with a better form factor. Right now, because I am satisfied with the 650 (except for no EVDO), I am skipping this upgrade.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Hmm. Maybe it's the same on my 650 as the 300? The type-as-priority works for me (as I mentioned earlier in the General Prefs.)

For instance, I type G-E (or, 6-1 on the Treo) for "George", and the phonebook filters for entries in the phonebook, if I continue to type an "E" (or 1), it doesn't match anything in the phonebook, so it switches over to dialing, i.e., 6-1-1.

Get it?

Guess i'll look into what palm programers are using nower days. I used MetroWorks 8.0 when i did some programing for the Visors 4 years ago.

Timmay
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002
    I agree with meyerweb re: the keyboard.

the 650's keyboard is LEAPS AND BOUNDS better than the 600. there is no comparison. 600's was tight, stiff and extremely uncomfortable. palm is heading in the RIGHT direction.

incidentally I tried out the 700w keyboard as well - its about the same as the 650, possibly a bit better. both knock the 600's keyboard out of the water. PERIOD.
    I disagree. I have both the 600 and 650, and I think that the 650's is worse. I have to type with my fingernails to reduce typos because if I use the pads of my thumbs, I easily hit nearby keys. You guys must have girly hands.

But if it's any consolation, I think they both suck. As for the 700p/w's thumbboard? I suspect it'll feel about the same as the 650's.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Actually, I like the idea of the menu key being at the bottom of the keyboard. If you use keyboard shortcuts, this is better
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast