Page 53 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3434849505152535455565758 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1245
  1. alucard's Avatar
    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    #1041  
    The thing I can't reconcile is how did Merlyn "manually provision" the 700p?
  2. #1042  
    Seller could be possibly an employee who was let go by a boss other than the one who issued him the Treo in question, thought they had forgotten about it and saw a way to make a quick buck? Possibly a thief who stole it from a beta tester? Possibly a ..........
  3. #1043  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    BTW -- I have to question the sanity of the original holder of the beta device. How could you (1)sell something you have a NDA for and (2)think it would stay a secret?
    This also boggled me. I have been under NDA for several beta devices. My guess is either 1) It is a preproduction unit that will not be what is released and he was told he may keep the unit. (This has happened with me, but I was told I could not sell it) 2) Maybe this unit was not sold by the NDA signer but is an actual stolen item. In this case Merlyn would be scared to death I'm sure. Palm would really want to know how it happened, and go after them. I think Palm will nail whichever it is. In the process scare Merlyn to death. On this I do feel bad for him. It was nice to see the new model but I hate to think what he is going through right now.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

  4. #1044  
    Quote Originally Posted by jgm
    Seller could be possibly an employee who was let go by a boss other than the one who issued him the Treo in question, thought they had forgotten about it and saw a way to make a quick buck? Possibly a thief who stole it from a beta tester? Possibly a ..........
    No way of knowing about this device, but I do know that Sprint execs had 650s to play with long before they were released. And some of the execs handed off their 650s to lower level employees, even though they probably were not supposed to. The execs were supposed to give feedback on the 650s to Sprint tech and I know at least one case where the "boss" gave it to an underling to play with and fill out his report for him. Eventually, there were, apparantly, quite a few 650s floating around before official release. Could easily be one of these that somebody thought would not be missed....
  5. #1045  
    [QUOTE=R1_Rydah]I don't know why Palm is being so secretive.QUOTE]

    Could be several reasons

    1. They still wanna sell 650's.
    2. It may even be in Verizon'ds exclusivity agreeement that they won't announce any competing new modles for x months.
    3. Don't wanna et stock bite.....that is they say re;ease on may 1st and then don't meet it....stockholders get nervy, think soemthing wrong and dump stock.
  6. cue79's Avatar
    Posts
    357 Posts
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    #1046  
    And so it ends for now - with the question on everyone's mind - Is this the device that all of us w/ 650's go and purchase, or do we continue to wait..... <Sigh>.... I'll probably do both.
  7. #1047  
    I take one day break from TC and now all of this.....Palm contacted me also and told me If I don't return Perry back to the rubber room there would be hell to pay..........So Perry back to your room it is.....

    In all seriousness it was quite exciting ...Now I do wonder if TC and others was contacted in reference to the pics...I wonder if Palm minds the pics being up or they just didn't want the phone in operation. Is this about the 700w ?

    I just hope Palm doesn't punish us for being baaaaad and refuse to not release the phone as punishment. LOL

    Merlyn I respect your courage and for taken one for the team.

    For those PM ing me for pics the price is set at $5,000, including Palm.

    Perry didn't I tell you back to your room....now go....ahhhh the silly season.
  8. #1048  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    My theory about Merlyn3D is that he knows somebody that works at HTC or is beta testing the Treo 700p. And after reading all these rumors about the new Palm Treo he decided to show it off at TreoCentral, because he thought that the cat was out of the bag when Slinky said he had seen it. Not knowing that Slinky was actuallly lying Merlyn went ahead and shared a lot of confidential information about the Treo 700p. I believe on the first picture showed us, he posted the Treo 700p with a serial number engraved on the front of the Treo. Then, somebody told him to take it down and to edit it. Anybody has the picture? Therefore, after Merlyn found out that slinky had been lying and now that he is feeling the preasure from the person who lend him the Treo 700p, he is wanting everything to be erased. That is why Shadowmite is like WTF??
    Merlyn... I know BS when I see it and the Craiglist BS nobody belives it. Just like the Slinky "Julius Cesar."
    Anyway, thanks for sharing all that info about the Treo 700p, but please stop with the Craiglist BS.

    Al
    Yep.
  9. #1049  
    Perry I hope you're doing ok with all these Treo rumors I believe you'll get your wish very soon Hang in there.
    Jimmie Geddes
  10. #1050  
    [QUOTE=JackNaylorPE]
    Quote Originally Posted by R1_Rydah
    I don't know why Palm is being so secretive.QUOTE]

    Could be several reasons

    3. Don't wanna et stock bite.....that is they say re;ease on may 1st and then don't meet it....stockholders get nervy, think soemthing wrong and dump stock.
    Dont even see this registering as a blip on the stock radar. Palm stock is being driven right now about rumors of being sold to another company, the good last quater reports and the positive reception of windows by investors.
  11. #1051  
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    I take one day break from TC and now all of this.....Palm contacted me also and told me If I don't return Perry back to the rubber room there would be hell to pay..........So Perry back to your room it is.....

    In all seriousness it was quite exciting ...Now I do wonder if TC and others was contacted in reference to the pics...I wonder if Palm minds the pics being up or they just didn't want the phone in operation. Is this about the 700w ?

    I just hope Palm doesn't punish us for being baaaaad and refuse to not release the phone as punishment. LOL

    Merlyn I respect your courage and for taken one for the team.

    For those PM ing me for pics the price is set at $5,000, including Palm.

    Perry didn't I tell you back to your room....now go....ahhhh the silly season.


    OK, OK, OK. BTW -- TV reception on my Treo is very good in the pink room -- but I do have to hold the Treo's antenna between my thumb and index finger while placing my tongue on the open electrical outlet in here. . . .
  12. #1052  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    OK, OK, OK. BTW -- TV reception on my Treo is very good in the pink room -- but I do have to hold the Treo's antenna between my thumb and index finger while placing my tongue on the open electrical outlet in here. . . .

    It's a PITA, but it's better than nothing.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
  13. #1053  
    Any lawyers out there that can contribute to this thread?

    My feeling is that a NDA was violated by whoever released the phone to Merlyn. While Merlyn cannot initially be held to that NDA, the NDA can be extended to any individual once they are notified that such an agreement exists (much like a lien). In other words, you don't have to sign a NDA in order for it to be in effect.

    My guess is that Palm politely contacted Merlyn and notified him of the NDA and all the ramifications of what could happen to Palm, Vz, Sprint, and even himself. Being the large company that they are, they probably (and hopefully) reimbursed Merlyn for his losses.

    As far as any damaging information being released, there is only limited evidence of such. We already knew that a Palm OS device was in the works (as announced by Palm), so this was only a confirmation of "their word." Any details of features that were released is trivial (RAM, megapixels, BT, EV-DA, etc). We expected no less. The only possible new disclosure (though always suspected) is that the phone is being released on Sprint. Oooh, big surprise.

    Just as a reminder (as my post is buried in the Slinky thread), my source at Sprint said that their next Treo will NOT be an exclusive device and may be released on Vz at the same time. Details are still pending.
  14. #1054  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden

    BTW -- I have to question the sanity of the original holder of the beta device. How could you (1)sell something you have a NDA for and (2)think it would stay a secret?


    Cheers, Perry.

    I asked Merlyn3D something similar in the live chat. He had made a comment (only half jokingly, IMO) about palm coming to knock on his door. I asked him if he knew where the "seller" got the device, and if he had permission to sell it. He said if he didnt he wouldnt have been able to activate it. That totally made no sense to me, as the phone wouldnt be blocked unless reported stolen, (unless those esn's have to be activated by a special process) but I didnt pursue the matter. I knew when he said someone had offered to "buy" it and that they didnt want more pics released that it wouldnt be long before it disappeared and everyone clammed up. I don't believe this was planned by palm, even THEY cant be stupid enough to underestimate Shadowmite. A device in his hands for more than 5 seconds has no secrets and EVERYONE who has visited these forums since he hacked the 650 knows he is the first person someone would seek out to give info to.

    Personally I think either he works for palm or has access to someone who does, more than likely the latter. A palm employee, or anyone who was here for the 650 saga would have known to block the numbers etched on the phone so it couldnt be traced.

    Regardless, I totally trust Shadowmite. His excitement over the files he found and discoveries made totally came across during the chat. I dont think his enthusiasm was faked. Merlyn, I hope you or anyone associated with you didnt get in any major trouble. You totally made our weekend by making the device and info available to us. I know palm wants to keep everything under wraps, but this actually probably saved them from losing customers until the next unit is announced. It certainly gave all the electronic forums something to buzz about.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
  15. #1055  
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    Any lawyers out there that can contribute to this thread?

    My feeling is that a NDA was violated by whoever released the phone to Merlyn. While Merlyn cannot initially be held to that NDA, the NDA can be extended to any individual once they are notified that such an agreement exists (much like a lien). In other words, you don't have to sign a NDA in order for it to be in effect.

    My guess is that Palm politely contacted Merlyn and notified him of the NDA and all the ramifications of what could happen to Palm, Vz, Sprint, and even himself. Being the large company that they are, they probably (and hopefully) reimbursed Merlyn for his losses.

    As far as any damaging information being released, there is only limited evidence of such. We already knew that a Palm OS device was in the works (as announced by Palm), so this was only a confirmation of "their word." Any details of features that were released is trivial (RAM, megapixels, BT, EV-DA, etc). We expected no less. The only possible new disclosure (though always suspected) is that the phone is being released on Sprint. Oooh, big surprise.

    Just as a reminder (as my post is buried in the Slinky thread), my source at Sprint said that their next Treo will NOT be an exclusive device and may be released on Vz at the same time. Details are still pending.

    And, if this pans out, eliminates the 700W as the Sprint release, as the 700W is ALREADY out on Verizon. So, what could it be. . . . . . . .?
  16. #1056  
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    Dont even see this registering as a blip on the stock radar. Palm stock is being driven right now about rumors of being sold to another company, the good last quater reports and the positive reception of windows by investors.
    And RIM'S patent problems.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  17. #1057  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyaki
    I don't believe this was planned by palm, even THEY cant be stupid enough to underestimate Shadowmite. A device in his hands for more than 5 seconds has no secrets and EVERYONE who has visited these forums since he hacked the 650 knows he is the first person someone would seek out to give info to.
    I completely disagree. As clueless as Palm is about even important issues regarding their device, do you really think they fear the great Shadowmite from the Treocentral discussion forums?
    (They SHOULD - see the GPE Linux on 650 thread, but I don't think they DO).
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
  18. #1058  
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    Any lawyers out there that can contribute to this thread?

    My feeling is that a NDA was violated by whoever released the phone to Merlyn. While Merlyn cannot initially be held to that NDA, the NDA can be extended to any individual once they are notified that such an agreement exists (much like a lien). In other words, you don't have to sign a NDA in order for it to be in effect.

    My guess is that Palm politely contacted Merlyn and notified him of the NDA and all the ramifications of what could happen to Palm, Vz, Sprint, and even himself. Being the large company that they are, they probably (and hopefully) reimbursed Merlyn for his losses.

    As far as any damaging information being released, there is only limited evidence of such. We already knew that a Palm OS device was in the works (as announced by Palm), so this was only a confirmation of "their word." Any details of features that were released is trivial (RAM, megapixels, BT, EV-DA, etc). We expected no less. The only possible new disclosure (though always suspected) is that the phone is being released on Sprint. Oooh, big surprise.

    Just as a reminder (as my post is buried in the Slinky thread), my source at Sprint said that their next Treo will NOT be an exclusive device and may be released on Vz at the same time. Details are still pending.
    Nah. This is a Plam plant. Not merlyn himself, but the guy who hooked him up. Reason being this coincided with the 800p false rumor too neatly. I don't believe this is the Craigslist Treo either.

    Merlyn had the phone from the beginning of the day and he paraded around for a few hours, and did some irc chat in the evening. And the phone is gone the next day? There is no way Palm could find him so soon. If Merlyn sold the phone, I doubt he would know it was Palm who brought it either.

    So this is a Palm leak in order to put off the 800p rumor. Now all I want to know is. WHEN IS THE RELEASE DATE???
  19. #1059  
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    Any lawyers out there that can contribute to this thread?

    My,opinion is that a NDA was violated by whoever released the phone to Merlyn. While Merlyn cannot initially be held to that NDA, the NDA can be extended to any individual once they are notified that such an agreement exists (much like a lien). In other words, you don't have to sign a NDA in order for it to be in effect.

    My guess is that Palm politely contacted Merlyn and notified him of the NDA and all the ramifications of what could happen to Palm, Vz, Sprint, and even himself. Being the large company that they are, they probably (and hopefully) reimbursed Merlyn for his losses.

    As far as any damaging information being released, there is only limited evidence of such. We already knew that a Palm OS device was in the works (as announced by Palm), so this was only a confirmation of "their word." Any details of features that were released is trivial (RAM, megapixels, BT, EV-DA, etc). We expected no less. The only possible new disclosure (though always suspected) is that the phone is being released on Sprint. Oooh, big surprise.

    Just as a reminder (as my post is buried in the Slinky thread), my source at Sprint said that their next Treo will NOT be an exclusive device and may be released on Vz at the same time. Details are still pending.
    Merlin should be safe as far as the NDA itself goes. The problem is that the person who sold him the Treo very possibly didnt own it. In that case it is no different than a pawn shop buying stolen goods. Depends what Merlin knew or should of known. Not really in trouble for buying it, unless you knew or had reason to believe it was stolen, but you have to give it back. Now if Merlin had reason to believe that the person who sold him the thing really didnt have the right to do so, then you may have some problems. At the very least, if the person didnt have the right to sell it, then have to give it back.

    More complicated with the ROM and other file issues. Palm at least can make the argument that it is unlawful to give away their proprietary ROM like that. AFTER the original Shadowmite scoop of the 650 ROM, Palm changed their standard license agreements (which you "agreed to" when you downloaded the ROM updates) to include not disclosing or sharing the ROM. As for this device, of course, Merlin would have not have agreed to any license, but since it was not an authorized purchase, PALM could argue that Merlin was giving away "stolen" goods when when he gave away a copy of the ROM. Now "giving away" the ROM is different than letting somebody look at what you have on your phone and thats where it can get tricky. Was there really a transfer of the ROM or was it just "looked at" by Shadowmite?

    So, althought the Non-Disclosure Agreement most likely does not apply to Merlin, it is very likely he had in his hand two things that didnt really belong to him, the phone and the ROM. If he was innocent in receiving these things, unlikly he would be in any trouble, but once he knew that the person who sold them had not right to do so, then he would be obligated to return them.
  20. #1060  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    I have been told that the phone had been misplaced by an authorized tester and was not reported as missing until Friday, the phone was being deactivated/traced and was located when Merlyn activated service on it. I asked how she knew about the 700P, thinking she was probably a member on this board and she said she visited the board, but never posted (if you are reading log in and say hi) and that she had heard of the thread but not read it.

    I have no clue as to how valid this source is since the discussion started at a superbowl party when I pulled out my 650 to answer a call. She was knowledgable about the treo, and would only tell me she worked for a communications company. She had what appeared to be the cingular slvr (but it was a gun metal color instead of the black one I saw in the store). I asked enough questions that she politley told me the discussion was over.
    You should of activated your theft deterrent feature. And then demanded more answers.

Posting Permissions