Page 52 of 63 FirstFirst ... 242474849505152535455565762 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1245
    Hmmm so how did it get out of Palm's possession in the first place?...
    Merlyn ~ Thanks for coming back and providing closure. Glad you made it through the weekend in one piece!

Shadow ~ Thanks again for gracing this community with your technical prowess and expertise! It's great to have you back!

Slinky ~ See ya in a month!

Merlyn never said that he was in 'one piece'; he only said no legal action was threatened nor taken. All you need is one hulking guy show up at your doorstep and menacingly utter "Hand it over!" (nice approach) or give one good punch (not so nice approach) ...
    Well, hopefully Merlyn can share his story sometime after the 700p release, when Palm's paranoia dies down.
    Palm Personal --> Palm Vx --> Tungsten T --> waiting to get first Treo P (get on with it, Palm!)
    Ah, semantics. None threatened but quite possibly implied. I will take a guess, and it is only a guess, that Palm quietly and calmly talked with Merlyn_3D, told him they didn't want to take any legal action, they understand his enthusiasm for possible new Palm products but that the phone he bought was sold illegally because the seller didn't own it but merely had use of it and Palm would like to have their property returned and would even be happy to compensate Merlyn_3D for his costs and maybe even a little bonus. As they were being so reasonable they would appreciate any help that Merlyn_3D might be able to provide in removing any information disseminated and to certainly not let anything else out.

Again a guess, Merlyn_3D realizing that what he did was not completely above board if not actually illegal and could easily have got him into very expensive legal trouble even if never convicted felt pretty sheepish and did what he could to quash the "rumors" including unintentionally making it sound like he was denying something that Shadowmite had said (I defy anyone including the main participants to remember word for word all that was said on the forums or the in the chat over those few days).

There are several other reasonable possibilities for the way things came down and I for one don't feel that there was any intentional deception on anyone's part. I would in fact like to thank Merlyn_3D and Shadowmite for their efforts and hope that they remain good friends, to the benefit of us all.
    Is that an exaggeration? That was meant for Xout.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by jgm
    Ah, semantics. None threatened but quite possibly implied. I will take a guess, and it is only a guess, that Palm quietly and calmly talked with Merlyn_3D, told him they didn't want to take any legal action, they understand his enthusiasm for possible new Palm products but that the phone he bought was sold illegally because the seller didn't own it but merely had use of it and Palm would like to have their property returned and would even be happy to compensate Merlyn_3D for his costs and maybe even a little bonus. As they were being so reasonable they would appreciate any help that Merlyn_3D might be able to provide in removing any information disseminated and to certainly not let anything else out.

Again a guess, Merlyn_3D realizing that what he did was not completely above board if not actually illegal and could easily have got him into very expensive legal trouble even if never convicted felt pretty sheepish and did what he could to quash the "rumors" including unintentionally making it sound like he was denying something that Shadowmite had said (I defy anyone including the main participants to remember word for word all that was said on the forums or the in the chat over those few days).

There are several other reasonable possibilities for the way things came down and I for one don't feel that there was any intentional deception on anyone's part. I would in fact like to thank Merlyn_3D and Shadowmite for their efforts and hope that they remain good friends, to the benefit of us all.
    This is more believable.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Could it all be one big publicity stunt by Palm?
    My theory about Merlyn3D is that he knows somebody that works at HTC or is beta testing the Treo 700p. And after reading all these rumors about the new Palm Treo he decided to show it off at TreoCentral, because he thought that the cat was out of the bag when Slinky said he had seen it. Not knowing that Slinky was actuallly lying Merlyn went ahead and shared a lot of confidential information about the Treo 700p. I believe on the first picture showed us, he posted the Treo 700p with a serial number engraved on the front of the Treo. Then, somebody told him to take it down and to edit it. Anybody has the picture? Therefore, after Merlyn found out that slinky had been lying and now that he is feeling the preasure from the person who lend him the Treo 700p, he is wanting everything to be erased. That is why Shadowmite is like WTF??
    Merlyn... I know BS when I see it and the Craiglist BS nobody belives it. Just like the Slinky "Julius Cesar."
    Anyway, thanks for sharing all that info about the Treo 700p, but please stop with the Craiglist BS.

Al
    I think the guy who sold to Merlin is in deep doo-doo right now for starters. I wouldn't doubt that he's the one who made the $1800 buyback offer.

Secondly, Palm must have the phone ringing off the hook from Microsoft and Verizon complaining about their lovely W being upstaged (or at least paralleded).

Not that Palm could do anything about this if Merlyn really did buy this off criagslist, BUT... I don't think you can share a ROM. That is Palm's property. They didn't get antsy with Shadowmite when he dumped the 650 ROM, because every 650 had it. Now they wanted something to go after Merlyn for, and I think this was it.

Original seller is in trouble for initiating the leak, and Merlyn IF he dumped the ROM, which it doesn't look like he did.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    My theory about Merlyn3D is that he knows somebody that works at HTC or is beta testing the Treo 700p. And after reading all these rumors about the new Palm Treo he decided to show it off at TreoCentral, because he thought that the cat was out of the bag when Slinky said he had seen it. Not knowing that Slinky was actuallly lying Merlyn went ahead and shared a lot of confidential information about the Treo 700p. I believe on the first picture showed us, he posted the Treo 700p with a serial number engraved on the front of the Treo. Then, somebody told him to take it down and to edit it. Anybody has the picture? Therefore, after Merlyn found out that slinky had been lying and now that he is feeling the preasure from the person who lend him the Treo 700p, he is wanting everything to be erased. That is why Shadowmite is like WTF??
    Merlyn... I know BS when I see it and the Craiglist BS nobody belives it. Just like the Slinky "Julius Cesar."
    Anyway, thanks for sharing all that info about the Treo 700p, but please stop with the Craiglist BS.

Al

The craigslist ad was posted on 2/1, over a day before Slinky's 'farce'. Could this have been planned that far back?
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    There is no doubt in my mind, the phone is real. He truely has/had one in his possesion. And I learned everything about it I could.
    Thanks Shadowmite !!
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D
    By no means do I want to put the credibility of shadowmite in question, he's a great guy, and very helpful. The only other thing I'm going to say for now is that the unit I had is back in Palm's possession. I haven't been threatened with any legal action, nor do I want to be.
    It sounds to me that Merlyn got a nice visit from some Palm lawyers over the weekend. IMO he got in way over his head and really regrets what happened. Oh well, it was interesting while it lasted.
    Merlyn is really Slinky

JUST KIDDING!!!!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    The pink padded room bit was getting old anyway.

"As the Treo Turns" is our new name for this soap opera, er Silly Season.

Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Whew! Time to take a breath. Ease up a bit. Review what we know. Shadow's history should be enough proof for us all and anyone who has followed Treo's for a while knows he is an expert on the file systems in the device.

This device had some files that indicate it might be a "lowrider", however it definately had files that show it is a new device. Although all of these files have not been made public, the specs have. The pictures show a Palm Treo device with a new keyboard layout and a form factor similar to a 700w.

All well and good. Now Merlyn was kind enough to share pictures and specs with the public. He was also willing to work with Shadowmite (who's reputation in the community is highly regarded) to look more closely at the device. Merlyn and Shadow did some tinkering together and found some unique things about the device.

Merlyn is not very forthcoming about how he got the device or how it now has gotten back into Palm's hands. This should not **** anyone off, nor should it have you doubt its authenticity. Palm would obviously not want the device floating around in places as it is very early in its testing. They would want to know how it got out and get i back in their possession. They would alsso want Merlyn and Shadow to stop talking about what they learned and saw.

Whatever their means of persuasion (and the past has told us they have taken some serious measures with Shadow on other issues) they have convinced our friends to close their mouths. This makes sense.

We should not hold any of this against Merlyn or Shadow. They were trying to show their enthusiasm and share knowledge with all of us without getting themselves in trouble. I hope they do not get into trouble over this.

All in all... ease up on these guys. They are valuable members of the community and were just doing their best to keep us informed and keep themselves out of trouble. It snowballed into more than they wanted I am sure.

Thanks Merlyn and Shadow. Good luck to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by swagner
    All in all... ease up on these guys. They are valuable members of the community and were just doing their best to keep us informed and keep themselves out of trouble. It snowballed into more than they wanted I am sure.

Thanks Merlyn and Shadow. Good luck to you.
    Here, here!
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    You tell us, you're the one with the damn phone!

ROFL
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    I watched this unfoldign right from the beginning and had a good time watching as things unfolded both here and in the chat. So I just want to give you my take. I think that the only "fishy" thing is how Merlyn got the unit, I still believe that he got it off craiglist. I think the one in trouble is whoever sold it to him. I do also think it stinks that he tried to just put everything that happened into doubt and basically call Shadowmite a liar. Shadowmite was the voice of reason during the period where we were doubting if this was for real. When he started asking questions and getting the right answers it was clear it was for real. I will also say ast the night went on you could see that this topic became a fire that Merlyn was not prepared for, and he was getting more and more worried as the night went on. I know he was willing to get rid of it by the time the night was over.

As far as why Merlyn did what he did. I don't think there are legal issues, yet. But I do beleive he has been contacted by someone for Palm. The NDA issues will be with whomever the original seller was. I think they were able to track down Merlyn pretty easily through Sprint by just checking what 700s were activated on Sprint and double checking that list to their beta testers. Merlyn never wanted to get into any trouble, and I think he felt it in a big way when he was contacted. Tried in desperation to stop the "Moster" he had created. Which was out of control to say the least. I will say I have had a confirmation that this is fairly accurate. I feel bad for Merlyn becasue I am guessing he is out the $650 he spent on the phone and whoever he bought it from is not going to be answering and phone calls from him. He is the one in fear of legal action.

Now as someone who has monitored this all weekend I just want to again, as others have done just say Shadowmite is on the level. So to any who doubt his intent, don't. I will say he has been honest in everthying I have ever seen here and any other forum I have seen him in. I for one am glad he was willing to invite us here at TC over to his little party on Friday night.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Great post James !

(I especially like the part on how they could track Merlyn down -- if there are more than one beta testers of the 700 out there on Sprint right now . . . . . . . . . . .)

BTW -- I have to question the sanity of the original holder of the beta device. How could you (1)sell something you have a NDA for and (2)think it would stay a secret?

Cheers, Perry.
    I believe this was legit. As others have said, there's probably some question about how Merlyn got it in the first place. I also wonder a bit about gharrod.

I don't think this was planned by Palm. The scene where they worked to send ROM data to Shadowmite wouldn't have worked into their script. And, let's face it...they're not that smart. Look where they moved the menu button!

At this point my big questions are:
    1) When will this be available?
    2) Will the released device really have this button layout and minimal software updates? (Same lame Phone app, probably same slow Blazer engine with no multi-window support, etc.).
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.