Page 44 of 63 FirstFirst ... 34394041424344454647484954 ... LastLast
    I'm sorry for pulling that stuff, Merlyn3D has requested it be pulled, so I did. Enjoy the wait folks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    I am not so sure this was a plant by Palm.

As far as hurting 650 sales (as an inventory planner) I am sure they have been planning the wind down of the 650 and the ramp up of the 700P for months. The 650 wil be discounted during the transition phase to clean up old inventory. However, the transition date (an inventory planner would use) would be from the point of formal announcement -- not from the point of some manufactured leak (and I do not believe this was one) because a manufactured leak is too hard to control or guage how widespread it would become.
    True - but isn't this also that natural yin/yang between marketing (building up demand) and production (fulfilling the demand) that coincides with "silly season"?

I agree with the rest of your post and think 3m is the minimum exclusivity period unless the contract w/Verizon only mentioned the 700w. 'Course Palm announcing a 700p too soon would royally tick them off (but keep Sprint happy).

Keeping the smartphone product pipeline fresh with something new every 3-6 months would be a refreshing change for Palm. Given where their revenue came from in the last couple of years, I hope they focus on smartphones over everything else and think they need to if they want to stay ahead.
    so no one cares that you still can't multitaks on Palm OS? thats really the one thing that drives me crazy, moving from one program to another, poof, you lose all info.
    edvo, 3G (for GSM), more RAM, new button layouts etc are all great, but why no multi? even my "teenagers" sidekick can do it...
    Quote Originally Posted by dmenahem
    so no one cares that you still can't multitaks on Palm OS? thats really the one thing that drives me crazy, moving from one program to another, poof, you lose all info.
    edvo, 3G (for GSM), more RAM, new button layouts etc are all great, but why no multi? even my "teenagers" sidekick can do it...
    That would be the reason I plan to buy a 700w for sprint once available.
    Yes, I do care, but I can wait until the Palm over Linux Treo is released in December of 2007 for multi-tasking.

(Having to re-buy software for the 700W trumps multitasking for me.)

Cheers, Perry
    all I can say is yeaaaaaaahhhhhhh, yes, yes, yes.
    I suppose it depends partly on what we use it for - "isolated information lookup" tasks or as a very mobile laptop. If the former, someone uses only one or two apps before putting it away. If the latter, you've got multiple things going on in parallel and it's about total work done in a given time period. If one's job is primarily out of the office (esp. traveling), I can definitely understand the multitasking need.

I'm going to have to try it sometime to see what I'm missing
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    In response to the question about the Lowrider and the Hollywood..

I love the idea of the 700p, but since I cannot get EV-DO right now, there is little reason for me to upgrade at this point. I will wait until I CAN get EV-DO. At that time maybe the Hollywood will be out, and maybe it will be a CDMA version as well!

That is the part that kills me. What I really want is the Hollywood, but I am in a contract with Sprint for the long haul, so if it IS only a GSM phone that sucks.

Of course, I also would really like a Cobalt or Linux version so we can have the multitasking and stability!

Hi Dmenahem!

Your first post and a member since 2000?

WOW, you are soooo patient!

Cheers, Perry.
    With the 700W and 700P somewhat covered -- I go back to the Sagio Report:

Hollywood and Lowrider.

http://blog.treonauts.com/2006/02/treo_hollywood_.html
    Well the timing there seems plausable.

1. Verizon has EVDO in 20 cities, UTMS w/HDSPA is in only 6....it will take some time to get an equivalent saturation.
    2. It looks like Palm treated all the children equally, Verizon gets 700w exclusive, Sprint Gets 700p exclusive, Cingular gets 800p exclusive.

Having only a 1 year investment ($300) in the 650 GSM, I'd prefer not to be drooling over a new gadget after just 12-13 months, even tho my contract will expire today. I so wanted a 600 but held my wallet until I saw a model with BT and more screen resolution. Those two features made a substantial difference to me.

A GSM version of the 700p doesn't have all that much appeal, to me anyway. I am pretty satisfied w/ EDGE and have never had any memory of stability issues so not much to drool over. OTOH, HDSPA 3.6 offers yet another major speed improvement over EVDO. And there's not much else on the horizon after that so it should be a "keeper" for a reasonable time to come.

A 3rd quarter release would get me 1.5 years outta my 650. However, still not enough to lay down my 650 if no other major advantages were ofered. I'd probably wait for a ROM upgrade and get my desired 2 years out of a handheld before upgrading. I think the question will be who to give my 650 to and what holiday to use (X-Mas, Valentines)
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    I'd probably wait for a ROM upgrade and get my desired 2 years out of a handheld before upgrading. I think the question will be who to give my 650 to and what holiday to use (X-Mas, Valentines)
    I forgot about the rumored major ROM upgrade for February as well!! If that ROM upgrade actually brought enhanced features (unlike the Sprint 1.13a one from last week), that may be enough to tide me over until next year with the next gen OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by gjlowe
    In response to the question about the Lowrider and the Hollywood..

I love the idea of the 700p, but since I cannot get EV-DO right now, there is little reason for me to upgrade at this point. I will wait until I CAN get EV-DO. At that time maybe the Hollywood will be out, and maybe it will be a CDMA version as well!

That is the part that kills me. What I really want is the Hollywood, but I am in a contract with Sprint for the long haul, so if it IS only a GSM phone that sucks.

Of course, I also would really like a Cobalt or Linux version so we can have the multitasking and stability!
    What gives with EV-DO and North Carolina? Yours is the second reference I have seen on this. Of course, I live in a fairly large city (2nd in MI) and our EV-DO sweet spot is the city and suburbs -- xx miles out -- and you are out of luck on that.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    What gives with EV-DO and North Carolina? Yours is the second reference I have seen on this. Of course, I live in a fairly large city (2nd in MI) and our EV-DO sweet spot is the city and suburbs -- xx miles out -- and you are out of luck on that.
    It's not NC...EV-DO is alive and well in Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham, and Greensboro (I think), but I live in Asheville, way West in the Appalachians. We didn't even have Sprint until 2000. Not a huge market here.

But we DO have running water...
  14. jjd
    I wasn't on the IRC last night -- did anyone get Merlyn_3D to check which Bluetooth profiles were supported? How about DUN?

--Jim--
    It's not NC...EV-DO is alive and well in Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham, and Greensboro (I think), but I live in Asheville, way West in the Appalachians. We didn't even have Sprint until 2000. Not a huge market here.

How far is that from Mayberry?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."

I know Asheville! I worked for Gerber for 16 years, co-workers that went down to that plant said they had died and gone to heaven. (Albeit, a heaven without technology. )
    I know Asheville! I worked for Gerber for 16 years, co-workers that went down to that plant said they had died and gone to heaven. (Albeit, a heaven without technology. )

One of my associates is requesting a transfer to that part of the world, and he is the most bass0ackwards tech guy I know. Works for Radioshack, but abhors 90% of the tech we sell. He'll fit right in (although if you're that technologically challanged down there I wonder how much business can a Radioshack do?)
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    I know I promised Shandomite and Merlin3D I wouldn't post the photo from the chat last night, but here it is. I don't know how to save and image from FireFox, so I took a screen shot of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    One of my associates is requesting a transfer to that part of the world, and he is the most bass0ackwards tech guy I know. Works for Radioshack, but abhors 90% of the tech we sell. He'll fit right in (although if you're that technologically challanged down there I wonder how much business can a Radioshack do?)
    Well...I was kinda kidding anyway. We actually have WiFi covering our entire (small) downtown. No stadium seating in our theaters though... Also, they did have a Treo 700w at Circuit City the day they came out, so I thought that was cool.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaTreoUser
    I know I promised Shandomite and Merlin3D I wouldn't post the photo from the chat last night, but here it is. I don't know how to save and image from FireFox, so I took a screen shot of it.
    All due respect, you probably shouldn't post that...