Page 43 of 63 FirstFirst ... 33383940414243444546474853 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by snoslicer8
    This may be a bit pre-mature in asking, but what are the chances of putting 700p drivers/BT stacks/whatever to good use in the 650? If Shadowmite has indeed received a ROM dump, I don't see why something couldn't be worked out...granted my programming knowledge is very limited. Also, I hope I'm not just repeating something from the IRC last night...I couldn't attend. Some of us had to be at work at 630 AM today.
    I would venture a guess that this is what some are doing right now.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

I personally more interested if they can get the FORCE DIGITAL ROAMING patch to work!! It wasn't certain whether that was jsut part of the beta release, but it would be awesome to have that ported to the 650 or patched onto the 700p if removed in the production device...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Collection of what? Do you bottle up your spooge and save it?
    That's a nice thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by craigdts
    The reason why I think they made the button change layout (menu at bottom and green and red phone at top) is because the treo users (who are not power users) simply never use the menu button, when I show it to them they are totally unaware of what it does. Therefore, I think that is a wise move to make it easier for novices(prosumers and business) to use.
    I'm not sure what you're even saying. Are you saying that novices would tap on the screen when they needed to open a menu or that they didn't go into the menus at all? If the former, that's just a learning curve issue. When I first gave my wife the Treo 600 she wasn't even used to using the D-Pad to get from place to place so she would use the stylus for everything. It took time (and me bringing it to her attention time and again) for her to finally start using the D-Pad, and I think she still uses her stylus far more than me.

If you're suggesting that non-power users (who have had a Treo for a while) simply don't use the menus at all, then that's just silly. Many apps require you to go into the menus to access important features.

In any case, I don't like the change and I hope that the production models don't use this layout.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  5.    #845  
    Let me be clear about this, the ROM was NOT dumped, there is no way to do this that anyone knows of, save for the skilled engineers at palm who wrote and designed it. Please don't go around making wild claims, the ROM was NOT dumped.

EDIT: and besides, I'm not sure doing such a thing would be something Palm would actually want to happen, and I by no means want to be in any sort of trouble with them, afterall, they're the only ones who've made a device that actually meets my requirements, and that I love to use. I don't like Windows Mobile. The Treo 650's UI was (at the time) the epitome of UIs for a phone/smartphone. IMO nothing beats it, that's why I can't wait for palm to officially release this 700p.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    I tend to think it's guerrilla marketing as well and could easily be a timed release per the overall marketing plan. If true, Palm might have underestimated what Merlin3D/shadowmite/others could do to get the info out.

Given the 700w is already out, it seems concern over 650 sales would be moot. If anything, that's the interesting bit - less than a month later, we have news about the 700p. If Palm sees the target market as OS agnostic, they might worry the 700p coming so soon might confuse potential customers and take away 700w sales. On the other hand, they may have done it to appease their loyal customer base (being most of us).
    I am not so sure this was a plant by Palm.

As far as hurting 650 sales (as an inventory planner) I am sure they have been planning the wind down of the 650 and the ramp up of the 700P for months. The 650 wil be discounted during the transition phase to clean up old inventory. However, the transition date (an inventory planner would use) would be from the point of formal announcement -- not from the point of some manufactured leak (and I do not believe this was one) because a manufactured leak is too hard to control or guage how widespread it would become.

I believe this was an unauthorized leak and that they are planning their inventory around a formal announcement.

I still believe in the original theory:

700W first for 6 months on Verizon.

700P next on Sprint, after an appropriate period to give the W space, 3 months? (As much as I would like my 2/22 announce and 3/22 for sale speculation of a month ago to be true -- I now think the stars are aligning around an April release of the 700P.)

Then, after periods of exclusivity, Verizon and Sprint get the opposite model.

Then the GSM models come out. (2nd or 3rd qtrs?)

(IMHO, based on all the chatter on this forum from the Sagio Report on.)

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/04/2006 at 01:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D
    Let me be clear about this, the ROM was NOT dumped, there is no way to do this that anyone knows of, save for the skilled engineers at palm who wrote and designed it. Please don't go around making wild claims, the ROM was NOT dumped.

EDIT: and besides, I'm not sure doing such a thing would be something Palm would actually want to happen.
    Thanks for clarifying. So what was done? Or is that now classified information for those "in the know" only?
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D

EDIT: and besides, I'm not sure doing such a thing would be something Palm would actually want to happen, and I by no means want to be in any sort of trouble with them, afterall, they're the only ones who've made a device that actually meets my requirements, and that I love to use. I don't like Windows Mobile. The Treo 650's UI was (at the time) the epitome of UIs for a phone/smartphone. IMO nothing beats it, that's why I can't wait for palm to officially release this 700p.

I thought Shadowmite had already found a way to do a ROM dump? Or are you talking about for the 700P only?
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Putting aside the slinky post, anyone have any thoughts about the 'other' two devices that palm will be supposedly bringing out this year? If I remember right, they had announced a total of four devices this year. 700p and w are now pretty much covered... so what are the other two.. and is it worth waiting for the true 800? Doesn't really matter - I'll probably buy the 700p anyways - but I wonder.
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    I thought Shadowmite had already found a way to do a ROM dump? Or are you talking about for the 700P only?
    700p only. They got OS files off the Treo but not the whole ROM
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

We are able to dump the rom on 650's. His 700 was attempted to get into the bootloader and prepare to dump it, but we found it acts more like the ppc bootloaders do. As such, as with merlyn's level of experience we choose not to persue that route any further.

EDIT: The rest is removed, rest assured the 700p is real. That's enough for now.
    Last edited by shadowmite; 02/04/2006 at 01:43 PM.
    So no one knows exactly how to check what bluetooth stack the 700P has?
  13. jjd
    I want a new PalmOS Treo as much (probably more) than the next guy, but let's keep one thing in mind:

Even though shadomite has verified that this wasn't a hoax like slinky (grrr), what Merlyn had is clearly a beta or pre-release model. Just because it has a certain set of specs doesn't mean that this will be the same as the model that (hopefully) is eventually released to the public.

--Jim--
    Quote Originally Posted by jjd
    I want a new PalmOS Treo as much (probably more) than the next guy, but let's keep one thing in mind:

Even though shadomite has verified that this wasn't a hoax like slinky (grrr), what Merlyn had is clearly a beta or pre-release model. Just because it has a certain set of specs doesn't mean that this will be the same as the model that (hopefully) is eventually released to the public.

--Jim--
    Exactly Jim!!

There is always chance for change -- but to have a unit this far down the pike -- reduces the chance for substantial change. I would be very surprised if there were major deviations from what has been found here -- especially if you consider a parallel development path with the 700W.

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by cue79
    Putting aside the slinky post, anyone have any thoughts about the 'other' two devices that palm will be supposedly bringing out this year? If I remember right, they had announced a total of four devices this year. 700p and w are now pretty much covered... so what are the other two.. and is it worth waiting for the true 800? Doesn't really matter - I'll probably buy the 700p anyways - but I wonder.
    With the 700W and 700P somewhat covered -- I go back to the Sagio Report:

Hollywood and Lowrider.

Here is some recent speculation by Andrew at Treonauts:
    http://blog.treonauts.com/2006/02/treo_hollywood_.html
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/04/2006 at 02:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    We are able to dump the rom on 650's. His 700 was attempted to get into the bootloader and prepare to dump it, but we found it acts more like the ppc bootloaders do. As such, as with merlyn's level of experience we choose not to persue that route any further.

EDIT: The rest is removed, rest assured the 700p is real. That's enough for now.
    This cloak and dagger stuff is very entertaining. I read what you originally posted, but won't share it since you obviously think it's not fit for public consumption.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Sorry if this has been posted but it has been hard to keep up. This has a pic of the 700P that I have not seen before. Found this from an engadget poster:

PDA Mexico

Anyone know Spanish?

Edit:
    Here is a translation from Google:

According to an external collaborator of PDAMéxico, the equipment of above could be the new Treo. Before the wave of rumors and possible or impossible characteristics that are handled, we will not publish the characteristics that the collaborator says has the "probable equipment".... Its consideration has left Only the registered users can write commentaries. Please valídate or regístrate.
    Last edited by string3599; 02/04/2006 at 01:55 PM.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Why does anybody want a new Treo that still has an antenna sticking out like a sore thumb?
    Why does anybody want a new Treo with a meagre doubling (instead of quadrupling) of RAM?
    Why does anybody want a new Treo with EVDO which is hardly available?
    Why does anybody want a new Treo still with Garnet?

What is everybody getting so worked up about?
    Sorry Bartveld: I DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EV-DO is available in my town.
    Double the memory is great.
    32Fat capability(if it is confirmed) gives us greater than 2GB SD cards! (This is my iPod.)
    1.3 camera (if it has the same lower light capability as the 650's) is great.
    Who gives a rip about the antenna? (It gives me handle to pull the Treo from my belt clip pouch.)
    Better Bluetooth may also be on board.

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bartveld
    Why does anybody want a new Treo that still has an antenna sticking out like a sore thumb?
    Why does anybody want a new Treo with a meagre doubling (instead of quadrupling) of RAM?
    Why does anybody want a new Treo with EVDO which is hardly available?
    Why does anybody want a new Treo still with Garnet?

What is everybody getting so worked up about?

Yawn If you don't want a new treo, that's your business. I personally love my treo 650, there are just a few things that need improvement.