Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32
  1.    #1  
    Just curious as to why people think the 700P (if there ever is such an animal) will have a 320x320 screen. Wouldn’t it make more sense for Palm to use the same screen used in the 700W?

    J.
  2. #2  
    No, because they already have a similar 320x320 palm device, and the palm os supports it. Neither apply to WM.
  3. #3  
    Would it make more sense to downgrade the machine?? (And thus give a reason for Treo 650 users to NOT upgrade?) I think not.
  4. Iceman6's Avatar
    Posts
    463 Posts
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    #4  
    Also, Palm wants people to upgrade from their 650 to a 700p. Not many will, unless they can keep the same screen.
  5. #5  
    this argument keeps coming up...

    the OP and many others are unaware of the fact that the windows OS does not support 320x320.
  6. JayL's Avatar
    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    #6  
    they could of gone 320x240 for windows and made the screen narrower.....

    Does any Palm use 240x240? I don't think so...
    Sprint 700p
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by JayL
    they could of gone 320x240 for windows and made the screen narrower.....

    Does any Palm use 240x240? I don't think so...
    There is a Smartphone that is avalible in Germany that uses a 300x240 screen. the top 60x240 pix are used for the phone and mp3 status, the remaining 240x240 are used for the OS.

    So yes, the Palm OS does support 240x240


    Timmay
    I’m a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

    Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

    Twittering about
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    So yes, the Palm OS does support 240x240


    Timmay
    SHUUUUSH....unless you WANT a 240x240 treo over a 320x320 treo.
  9. #9  
    hellllllllll no!

    If anything i want a 480 x 480 screen!

    Timmay
    I’m a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

    Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

    Twittering about
  10. #10  
    Yeah, Palm could downgrade a supposed 700p to 240x240. That would be about as smart as Toyota putting square wheels on it's next car. Just a cursory understanding of the Palm & WM platforms and economies will answer this question that keeps coming up over and over and over and over.

    It aint rocket science:

    The vast majority of Palm software is designed for 160x160 or scalable to 320x320. It's kinda like teaching an 8 year old to multiply ... everything's OK until you try and multiply by a non-integer. "How many time would you have to multiply 2 in order to get 3?" It's the same with writing code for various screen resolutions. Simply easier to x by 2 instead of 1.5.

    Secondly, and even more relevant. When 99.9% of 30,000+ Palm apps now work on 320x320, do you really think Palm is gonna make every single Programmer rewrite their apps for 240x240?

    This is not analog TV we're talking about here. It's digital, addressed and mapped pixels that software must deal with. It takes a lot of time and money to design, redesign, code, test, debug, dual-market another screen resolution for a platform.

    So, don't expect 240x240 for Palm OS (thank God), nor 320x320 for WM (sorry). You may expect 480x480 from WM soon, but that's because it's a simple scaling (math) issue. Also, if Palm Os is around long enough, you may see a 640x640 screen one day.

    Square screens on WM are new right now, and have issues. This will become less and less of an issue as developers catch up. It's natural for Palm OS because it's legacy was originally the square screen.
    Patrick Horne
  11. #11  
    Palm'
    s Treo division is supported by gadgeteers, strating with the media. Ya can't get "buzz" witha devcie that has less capabilities than it's predecessor. All the reviewers for the 700w have remarked very strongly about the csreen saying that while the 700w might be nice for those offices refusing to let go of the MS umbilical cord, it wasn't a worthwhile upgrade for a 650 user unless EVDO was critical. I'd add one more caveat being unless there was a "must have" WM app.


    For example, the 600 was an PS Rag Editor's Choice, then the 650 Sprint unseated that. Palm improved again and the 650 GSM (4.5*) unseated that. The 700 OTOH only got a 3* rating due to low memory and the screen disppointment. For palm to get that Editor's Choice again, it's going to have to put soemthing on the market again that stands out above all else like the 600 and 650 did.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith
    Yeah, Palm could downgrade a supposed 700p to 240x240. That would be about as smart as Toyota putting square wheels on it's next car. Just a cursory understanding of the Palm & WM platforms and economies will answer this question that keeps coming up over and over and over and over.

    It aint rocket science:

    The vast majority of Palm software is designed for 160x160 or scalable to 320x320. It's kinda like teaching an 8 year old to multiply ... everything's OK until you try and multiply by a non-integer. "How many time would you have to multiply 2 in order to get 3?" It's the same with writing code for various screen resolutions. Simply easier to x by 2 instead of 1.5.

    Secondly, and even more relevant. When 99.9% of 30,000+ Palm apps now work on 320x320, do you really think Palm is gonna make every single Programmer rewrite their apps for 240x240?

    This is not analog TV we're talking about here. It's digital, addressed and mapped pixels that software must deal with. It takes a lot of time and money to design, redesign, code, test, debug, dual-market another screen resolution for a platform.

    So, don't expect 240x240 for Palm OS (thank God), nor 320x320 for WM (sorry). You may expect 480x480 from WM soon, but that's because it's a simple scaling (math) issue. Also, if Palm Os is around long enough, you may see a 640x640 screen one day.

    Square screens on WM are new right now, and have issues. This will become less and less of an issue as developers catch up. It's natural for Palm OS because it's legacy was originally the square screen.

    It's really not as hard as you make it out to be to scale a application. matter of fact the Operating system could do it, with out the programmer having to change a single line of Code. It would be like shinking a 320X320 picture to 240X240.

    99.99 percent of Palm Software works on 320, 160, and 240, or what even combination the os is willing to run. Believe me screen resolution is not as important as people think it is , when it come to developing a application.

    As for a 700p with 240x240. I see palm doing it. Remember palm is trying to focuss on the More profitable smart phone martket, not the pda power user market.
  13. naivete's Avatar
    Posts
    636 Posts
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by jptsr1
    Just curious as to why people think the 700P (if there ever is such an animal) will have a 320x320 screen. Wouldn’t it make more sense for Palm to use the same screen used in the 700W?

    J.
    Because they want to upgrade to the "Lowrider"? NOT.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by ClarenceCM3
    It's really not as hard as you make it out to be to scale a application. matter of fact the Operating system could do it, with out the programmer having to change a single line of Code. It would be like shinking a 320X320 picture to 240X240.
    It may be "easy" to DO it. But doing it and having people who will spend $600+ for a top-line smartfone with strange visual renderings, sluggish video response (or expensive video hardware to compensate), widespread incompatibility, and 1/2 the screen density of the device that's being "upgraded" from. The Handera 330 gave multiple choices for scaling 160pixel code up to 240pixel. All of them "worked", but nobody got a coookie because it was seamless or attractive.

    Quote Originally Posted by ClarenceCM3
    99.99 percent of Palm Software works on 320, 160, and 240, or what even combination the os is willing to run. Believe me screen resolution is not as important as people think it is , when it come to developing a application.
    What?!? 99.9% of Palm software will not run on the rez it's already designed for. Even if you didn't get a crash, the scalings of many would be distorted at best. Just imagine a 1 pixel 45 degree angle line on a 320x320 app. Then try to actually render the same 1 pixel line at 240x240. Pathetic. This can be illustrated on a simple piece of graph paper. It may be able to be "done" as you say, but it's gonna be cheesy. If you call such sub-par visuals like this "acceptable", then yes it's easy. The smoke and mirrors of grayscaling such a problem only goes so far. If Palm wants to stay in biz in a competitive marketplace, then they'll not try to deliver on such an albatross.

    Quote Originally Posted by ClarenceCM3
    As for a 700p with 240x240. I see palm doing it. Remember palm is trying to focuss on the More profitable smart phone martket, not the pda power user market.
    The 700p or the next Frankengarnet Palm OS Treo will most certainly NOT have 240x240. Although, the 700w screen looks pretty good in person, it is only that resolution because of the platform it's running on. Device makers have a boat load of issues to deal with to try and stay ahead. Therefore, rather than trying to hack WM5 to scale to the 320x320 or even worse try and shoehorn a Palm OS Treo into an unnatural 240x240, Palm made the easy decision. Just use more compatible and effective resolutions. It's the economics that are simple here.

    As the Palm OS is unfortunately $uffocated in the marketplace, Palm may very well go with that and other resolitions. For the few pennies (assumed) they save on a lower rez screen, Palm is not about to unleash an entire division to try and convert the Palm OS platform to seamlessly (impossible) handle that rez.

    Not trying to be contrary, but 240x240, thankfully, aint gonna happen on the next gen Palm OS Treos.
    Patrick Horne
  15. #15  
    Yes I wish it was true also That the treo 700p has 320X320, but Palm is taking a new approach into a new market , and a 240x240 might be in question.

    What I was trying to say was the smartphone market is not as technologically savory as most readers of this board. While you might take the resolution serious, the average smart phone consumers don't really know the difference. Your not talking pennies, you talking dollars X million units. So economics is a big deal.

    A pda user would know to check the system specs, ie screen resolution, proc speed, memory, reliabilty, track record. Smartphone user buy using brand names, and cool new features, ie palm, treo, windows, blue tooth etc. So the new market palm us trying to sell in, will not know the difference. Hey they hide the true ram for the Treo 700, how hard would it be to hide the true screen resolution lol
    Last edited by ClarenceCM3; 02/04/2006 at 10:45 AM.
  16. #16  
    done deal...the 700p is 320x320
  17. #17  
    Thank you dutchtrumpet. Geeeesh.
    Patrick Horne
  18. #18  
    No offense man? But you are an *****. That would be suicide. The reason why palm went with 240X240 is because WM5 doesn't support 320X320 that's the only reason, it's not due to an "approach into a new market" they aren't approaching a new market with the Palm OS division. Average smartphone users will know the difference when their programs stop working. A program designed for a 160X160 screen will work on a 240X240 or 320 X 320 screen but a program for a 320X320 will crash the device or not be scaled down to the right size

    Quote Originally Posted by ClarenceCM3
    Yes I wish it was true also That the treo 700p has 320X320, but Palm is taking a new approach into a new market , and a 240x240 might be in question.

    What I was trying to say was the smartphone market is not as technologically savory as most readers of this board. While you might take the resolution serious, the average smart phone consumers don't really know the difference. Your not talking pennies, you talking dollars X million units. So economics is a big deal.

    A pda user would know to check the system specs, ie screen resolution, proc speed, memory, reliabilty, track record. Smartphone user buy using brand names, and cool new features, ie palm, treo, windows, blue tooth etc. So the new market palm us trying to sell in, will not know the difference. Hey they hide the true ram for the Treo 700, how hard would it be to hide the true screen resolution lol
  19. #19  
    Has it been unaimously determined that the 700ws screen is not the same as the 650? I understand that the resolutions are different but I am curious if the 700ws' screen itself is capable of 320x320.

    There is a chance it made sense from a manf/purchasing standpoint...
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by robber
    Has it been unaimously determined that the 700ws screen is not the same as the 650? I understand that the resolutions are different but I am curious if the 700ws' screen itself is capable of 320x320.

    There is a chance it made sense from a manf/purchasing standpoint...
    that would be a huge waste of money for Palm. to pay for a 320x320 screen and only use 240x240... not even possable...

    Timmay
    I’m a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

    Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

    Twittering about
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions