1.    #1  
    Hi,

I purchased an AT&T Treo 650 about 10 months ago and used on my legacy AT&T account.

I needed to switch to a proper Cingular account and so purchased another 650 and ported my account to a proper Cingular account.

Now they are telling me that they can't/won't unlock the original phone.

Anyone know any good tricks/contacts at Cingular/AT&T to get this done, or a reputable resource online?

Thanks
    Isn't a GSM phone a GSM phone?

I've seen a similar thread before. Shouldn't Cingular just be able to unlock your phone from AT&T and re-lock your phone to Cingular, that is if they want to keep you tied to their service?
    Like you, I had an unlocked AT&T 600, then went to Cingular and got a 650. I wasn't sure if they would give me an unlock code for the new 650, but I had some problems upgrading the firmware, called tech support and wound up chatting with the tech for a bit. Once we built up a little rapport, I mentioned that my 600 had been unlocked by AT&T, and could he give me a code for my new 650, and he just looked it up and gave it to me without even asking any questions. I think it just depends who you get on the phone, and how persistent you are. I wouldn't trust any aftermarket unlocking sites or offers. All unlock codes are specific to each individual phone. Good luck.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks. I'll keep trying. So far, I've spoken with 15 different reps, supervisors and managers in Customer Care and Tech Support. They've all said that it's something they can't or won't do.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    No luck here either. Im stuck with a lock 650 from AT&T and Im trying to migrate to a cingular plan. I know for a fact that Cingular reps can unlock Cingular Treos but AT&T has never been able to unlock their phones. The ability is simply not in their system as it is on the Cingular system. A local guy here in Austin charges $65.00 to unlock it but Im going to try GSMLiberty.com first. I bought an unlock code on ebay for $17.95. I will report back if it works
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I just unlocked my AT&T Treo650 so I could use it with my new Cingular SIM. Used an $18 service from eBay. Worked fine - no issues.
    I paid unlockcellular.com $19. I rec'd 5 codes. The online instruction isn't clear how to enter them so my ATT 650 remains locked. Can anyone help if you succeeded on this? Thanks.
    CNG ATTWS Treo650
    Quote Originally Posted by Playcentric
    I paid unlockcellular.com $19. I rec'd 5 codes. The online instruction isn't clear how to enter them so my ATT 650 remains locked. Can anyone help if you succeeded on this? Thanks.
    Update - Followed the manual (has more detail instructions than its Web brief) and my ATT phone is unlocked. The site support (owner) is very responsive.
    CNG ATTWS Treo650