Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast
    FWIW, there's another useful purpose that this rumor can serve (for the Palm OS fans, anyway). If Palm was thinking of making WM5 their platform of choice for their high-end Treos and relegating the Palm OS to their low-end devices, it could help them (and perhaps other device manufacturers) to realize that the Palm OS platform should not be disrespected. Of course, if they had already moved in that direction, it's not like they could change course overnight.

Oh well...where's slinky? It's time for you to reveal the truth my friend.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Finally found him here

He is now definately locked in a pink padded room.
    This is the best news/rumor I've heard in a while! Thanks, Slinky! Time to pass this news/rumors to my friends and co-workers.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Hi guys... I'm on the road and only have a little time but did uncover some facts today. I'm late with submitting my articles to legal publications ( TheLaw.com and 2 others) concerning Palm's showcasing the Treo 650 and GoodLink productivity solution that was featured at the NY LegalTech , which is part of what started this whole thread. Today I made real connections with Palm, Verizon and Sprint and am due a return call imminently. I'll provide the details of those calls now while I can and promise to return tomorrow afternoon and discuss the full details of the follow up, elaborate on my prior post, and hope to put all the rumors to rest with a reasonable degree of certainty.

(1) Perry, my friend... I am very sorry to inform you that chances are extremely slim to none that you will see any new Treo actually released for sale on any carrier within the next 21 days as you were hoping. That's not to say that an announcement won't be forthcoming regarding a new Treo and/or carrier and availability during the first quarter. This is from reasonably good sources within the major carriers that I spoke to today (no joke.) There is usually lead time necessary for training, etc. as many have spoken about here and has simply not happened yet from what I was told.

(2) I received a quick call back from Palm regarding my inquiry as to a potential WiFi solution for the Treo 650 and what I saw at LegalTech. Being in tall buildings where mobile phones are not always 100% operational, WiFi is important. I also inquired about the rumors regarding an imminent Palm release. The person who called me back was an assistant for the person I called (per the press release) and evidently not up to snuff on Palm's products and programmed only to talk about the above issue. Regarding the 650, he said quite emphatically that Palm's recommended solution is that, as at LegalTech, you should use the Enfora Sled -- no I'm not kidding. He would get back to me with specific details tomorrow regarding (a) the very small likelihood of a WiFi SD card for the Treo 650 (he didn't even know much of anything about the 700w), (b) some answer from Palm with regard to the rampant rumors of an upcoming Palm Treo release. He didn't have any answer regarding the cost/size challenges of equipping an entire organization with "sleds." I did make sure that he understood how thrilled technology managers would be to be to be sold on the Enfora Sled and find out 2 weeks later that an SD card is available... or perhaps that is not a concern at all as echoed above. I have a feeling that e-mail was needed so that someone who knew what they were talking about could craft a response. I will post the official response here if/when I receive one. One firm conclusion -- Palm's sales staffing and appearance to corporate customers leaves much to be desired.

(3) There is a great deal of technology dyslexia that goes on, 1.2 vs. 2.1, 2.3 vs. 3.2, etc. and was sent a couple of posts today that I found interesting, once of which was the announcement of Samsung's 5 megapixel camera phone -- yes that is 5 MP -- as early as 2004! I'm hoping that these are signs that with the huge EVDO and broadband speed jumps coupled with the exponential increase of storage in comparison to cost, we'll be seeing somewhat more rapid advances for a short while until the storage renaissance levels off.

OK, that's it for now. I'll post the responses I'm expecting from Palm and a major carrier tomorrow afternoon and also elaborate completely on my original post which I hope will put all the rumors to rest with a reasonable degree of certainty.
    Thanks for keeping us updated, Slinky. Looking forward to your next installment
    Here's my two cents. Take it for what it's worth.

I'm an avid fan of Engadget, and have had the opportunity of talking to Ryan Block on more than one occasion about a product for one of our clients. In my opinion, they know more than they're allowed to say, i.e. NDAs and personal promises keep them quiet on stories they'd love to get out. Now once something comes out, they post the story, but continue to deem it "speculation."

I haven't seen too many instances where they've posted speculation and it hasn't come true. So, all in all, I hope (and think) slinky is telling at least some partial truth.
    Slinky keep up the good work......Our prayers are with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by madcap
    Finally found him here

He is now definately locked in a pink padded room.

Hehehe
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    Hi guys... I'm on the road and only have a little time but did uncover some facts today. I'm late with submitting my articles to legal publications ( TheLaw.com and 2 others) concerning [URL=http://www.palm.com/us/company/prprpr/$news_feed_story$.$epl$?$reqid$=$810153$]

(1) Perry, my friend... I am very sorry to inform you that chances are extremely slim to none that you will see any new Treo actually released for sale on any carrier within the next 21 days as you were hoping. That's not to say that an announcement won't be forthcoming regarding a new Treo and/or carrier and availability during the first quarter. This is from reasonably good sources within the major carriers that I spoke to today (no joke.) There is usually lead time necessary for training, etc. as many have spoken about here and has simply not happened yet from what I was told.

Hi Slinky!

My prediction is not in jeopardy yet, it was:

Announce 2/22, for sale 3/22.

Cheers, Perry.

BTW -- Rascal Flatts tonight -- awesome concert.
    Buy.com has the 700W for only $99.99 after rebate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.buy.com/retail/wireless/p...s=22&p=1&zip=0

should i still continue to wait for the P???...
    it bums me out that a lot of you guys were "calling out" slinky

Slinky has a history of over 500 posts

in addition, the specs he quoted were EXTREMELY reasonable --- I think us Treo users simply suffer from low expectations

a 3.2 MP on a camera phone is NOTHING these days

ditto on wifi and the other details

lastly --- this is a RUMORS board

come here to read rumors and daydream about them all day

if you wanna "call people out" then go over to the 700W board and do that with the losers over there
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    I love that "Julius Caesar" tie in.Clever
    Palm VIIx >>>Palm 505 >>>Palm Treo 650 Palm 700p >> Palm Centro >> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    This news/rumour has really made me think twice about buying Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket Loox T830 or Sony Ericsson P990i. But please let it be true!!! Although I do wish it would have FM Radio, built-in wi-fi & for the GSM version to have 3G. But even if it doesn't have it, I'd still buy it with the purported specs, because it seems compelling enough and just because I love my Treo....
    Um...am I really going to be the first one to ask how slinky can post a bunch of trivial details about the current generation product and not address *at all* the information he originally posted about?

Come on slinky, enough is enough...put up or fess up.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Um...am I really going to be the first one to ask how slinky can post a bunch of trivial details about the current generation product and not address *at all* the information he originally posted about?
    Seriously,

what the hell was all that about a wi-fi sled?
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    FWIW

Dear Antonio,

Thank you for contacting Sprint together with Nextel.

Yes, currently testing is ongoing for EVDO as well for Treo 800.

Please be assured you will be notified when we launch these products on
    the market.

Thank you for contacting us. Have a great day.

Lydia
    Business E-Care
    Sprint together with Nextel
    "Where our customers come first!"

Original Message Follows:
    ------------------------
    Is testing ongoing for EVDO and the Treo 800?

--- Original Message ---
    Sent: Thu 2/2/06 6:34 pm
    To: antoniowilliams@sprintpcs.com
    Subject: Re: ID # : 20060202031704 (KMM17529018I123L0KM)

Dear Antonio,

Thank you for contacting Sprint together with Nextel. I will be happy
    to assist you regarding Treo handset and EV-DO coverage.

I like to mention that after the Merger of Sprint together with Nextel
    our Prime Focus is to launch new phones.

As we have not launch the Treo 700W phone till today. At the time of
    launch of Treo 700W you will be notified through a high promotional
    mailer through different media channels including Sprint website.

An exact date the launch of EV-DO in South Carolina cannot be obtained.
    This is because Sprint thoroughly tests the competence of coverage and
    network strength before launching the services in a new area, and this
    process is time-consuming.

When we will launch services in South Carolina, numerous promotional
    offers and media will inform you about the changes.

Updated coverage areas are available at the following Sprint website:

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/co...geOverview.jsp

I appreciate you emailing us today.

Thank you for contacting Sprint together with Nextel.

Sherry S
    Business E-Care
    Sprint together with Nextel
    "Where our customers come first!"
    Here's how it's going to play out...........Sprint...

1st Q- 700w
    2nd or 3rd Q- 800P

Which falls into Sprint's ............."More Choices"!

I prepared to put money on it.
    Put money on it!!!
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    I don't gamble with people from SU. J/K
    slinky is disappointing me big time.