Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    WAIT, Treonauts had a post, maybe this is late since I haven't read the entire post:

http://blog.treonauts.com/2006/02/treo_hollywood_.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Why do I have the feeling that you're planning to tell us that you made the whole story up but had a good reason for doing so?
    Why would that make many people happy?
    He said that "many might actually be happy." If a device with the specs he claimed to have seen existed, I would think he would have stated that "most" or "everyone" would be happy.

Anyways, I was going to post something more long-winded last night. I'm on my Treo again, so I'll have to be brief. If slinky made this story up, then some good can still come of it. Whether intended or not, the wheels have been set in motion. It begins as a more-believable-sounding-than-most rumor here, followed by a once-great, now desperate PDA news site running with the story, followed by a hot gadget site picking up the story (just in case its true). Then the larger news sites run something about the next Treo (but of course won't dare credit back to the sites that prompted their own worthless speculation). Next thing you know Palm and Sprint are getting inundated with calls and emails. Verizon may feel anxious about how 700w sales might be impacted as well. That's when the potential good things happen: official reaction/response by Palm or Sprint. I don't expect them to say much, but what they say (and don't say) could be of some value.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by BenJoeM
    WAIT, Treonauts had a post, maybe this is late since I haven't read the entire post:

http://blog.treonauts.com/2006/02/treo_hollywood_.html

A portion of Andrew's post (Which is a nice summary of rumors to date):

However, we donít yet know exactly:

When they will become available
    Which carrier(s) will be first to release these
    What these new Treo smartphones will look like
    What their specifications may be
    A brief recap of the rumours surrounding these four new Treo smartphones may be in order:

Availibility + Carriers

January 2006: Treo 700w (WM 5.0, EV-DO) currently available exclusively from Verizon (CDMA) until June 2006 and from other carriers (CDMA & GSM) thereafter
    April 2006: Treo 700p (Palm OS, EV-DO) exclusively from Sprint (CDMA) for 6 months and from other carriers (CDMA & GSM) thereafter
    March-May 2006: "Hollywood" - rumoured to be called Treo 800p is expected to be offered primarily by Orange and/or Vodafone in Europe and in US likely to be launched by Cingular
    March-May 2006: "Lowrider" - a sub-$300 device and entry-level smartphone, compatible to previous-generation network radios (like those found on the current Treo 650)
    Looks + Specifications

Treo 700w and Treo 700p are expected to share identical specifications to the obvious exception that the first runs Windows Mobile while the second runs PalmOS.

(Perry=identical, except the 700P will still have the 320X320 screen.)

My 2/22 announce and 3/22 for sale speculation is looking shaky, but I can feel it: APRIL IS GOING TO BE ONE GREAT MONTH !!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/02/2006 at 12:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    He said that "many might actually be happy." If a device with the specs he claimed to have seen existed, I would think he would have stated that "most" or "everyone" would be happy.

Anyways, I was going to post something more long-winded last night. I'm on my Treo again, so I'll have to be brief. If slinky made this story up, then some good can still come of it. Whether intended or not, the wheels have been set in motion. It begins as a more-believable-sounding-than-most rumor here, followed by a once-great, now desperate PDA news site running with the story, followed by a hot gadget site picking up the story (just in case its true). Then the larger news sites run something about the next Treo (but of course won't dare credit back to the sites that prompted their own worthless speculation). Next thing you know Palm and Sprint are getting inundated with calls and emails. Verizon may feel anxious about how 700w sales might be impacted as well. That's when the potential good things happen: official reaction/response by Palm or Sprint. I don't expect them to say much, but what they say (and don't say) could be of some value.
    So basically you're saying Slinky might have had a plan when he posted this? I hope there was more truth than plan though. I'm really tired of waiting for Palm.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Jimmie Geddes
    unfortunately, it's all the same source...
    We interrupt this ridiculous thread to bring you this update....Slinky has left the country, looking to seek refuge in the hills of Iraq. But Palm vows to smoke him out of his cave. Stay Tuned!
    People, People, People.

The 700P will be no later than April and it will be a 700W with a 320X320 screen and a PalmOS that supports our current Palm programs. (IMHO) (. . . . going back to my pink padded cell now . . .)
    viking - junior you must has some real serious issues, man. just let it go...
    Quote Originally Posted by tymerock
    viking - junior you must has some real serious issues, man. just let it go...

I am probably the next one onto the rubber room, make room Perry.
    Viking and Perry make room for me too
    Jimmie Geddes
    Just a thought:

Palm has a history of being innovative and has revolutionized the PDA industry. Prior attempts (i.e.: the Newton have failed). The Treo 600 (though Handspring) was a massive leap forward, with the 650 being a solid upgrade device (but not revolutionary on its own). Yet it is now impossible to go through the day without seeing at least several people using one of these devices (I see at least 10 treos a day).

For some time, there has been no progress forward. All of our desires for an improved device have been unfulfilled. Yet we see many other companies releasing EV-DO devices with Wi-Fi, better Bluetooth, etc. It seemed to most of us, that Palm's competitors have been running the show, while Palm was asleep at the wheel. No huge improvements, no major rumors, and lots of wishful thinking.

Palm announces a collaborative effort with M$ and releases the 700W. Many of us saw this as a death for PalmOS. With so many dedicated users out there, I just can't imagine Palm not wanting to make money off us. Anyhow, they probably captured an untapped population. Many grabbed one up, yet many more are holding out. Palm darn well knows that there is big $$ to be made off an upgraded Treo with Palm OS.

So, this rumor comes out from Slinky. I tend to believe it. What a great opportunity for Palm. The world's most favorite form factor, with everything (or almost everything) that people have stated they would gladly drop down good cash for and abandon their outdated device. We all know that everything listed by Slinky is absolutely do-able and many of us have ridiculed Palm for not doing this earlier. Therefore, everything here is not just fantasy, but completely reasonable. Who here would expect less without major complaining?

So, is there anybody here that is on a 600/650 that would not upgrade to a device like this? Contract up or not, people will come out in droves and I guarantee that if this device comes to fruition, they will be back-ordered immediately.
    Gizmodo is now reporting it as well,lol.
    http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/smartphon...med-152390.php
    Jimmie Geddes
    I agree with GalenMD that this a great opportunity for Palm. I tried the 700w for a couple of days and returned it. But it really left me wanting a POS version with EV/DO, better screen, etc. I'm keeping my 650 until Palm comes out with such a unit. However, as for the rumors, the one thing I can say for certain having lived through the Samsung I300/Kyocera 7135 and Treo600/650/700 rumor wars is that Palm will come out with what Palm comes out with when Palm comes out with it. And to go further out on a limb, I am certain it will have the features it will have. Beyond that, the rumors are fun (doesn't anyone work anymore?) but I'm not making any bets based on any of them.
    whatever the next step is for the 650, I hope its not betaware and works from day one. I for one will not rush (I say this now) out and buy it the second it comes out like I did with the 650...
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    People, People, People.

The 700P will be no later than April and it will be a 700W with a 320X320 screen and a PalmOS that supports our current Palm programs. (IMHO) (. . . . going back to my pink padded cell now . . .)
    If you would just take your meds, keep your mouth shut, and stop posting to TC, they might let you out.
    Part of the rumor to find interesting:
    Enchanced 320x320 screen - this was the same terminology used with the E2. Basically an 18bit screen. I reviewed the E2 and it honestly had the best color screen I've seen on a PalmOS device since the m515. I'd imagine this would be the same screen.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    Just a thought:

........With so many dedicated users out there, I just can't imagine Palm not wanting to make money off us.....
    You miss the point. We are not the customer, the carriers are. The issue therefore is not what users Palm can make money off of but what carriers they can make money off of and what users the carriers think they can make money off of. None of them are very adept at it. (Verizon now gets more than half of its revenue from cellular and still cannot make a profit on it.)

Note that while there are lots of Palm OS users for Palm, they are a tiny portion of the user base for the carriers. The other phones they sell (and support) dwarf us.
    Last edited by whmurray; 02/02/2006 at 07:27 PM.
    I agree, such a new device (800p) would be a great move forward for Palm.

But I just do not see it happening now, it will be a 700P by April.

Parallel development of two units on the same hardware but different OSs(and all the manufacturing a development efficiencies associated with that) suggests a 700W and a 700P.

Calling something a 700W without a 700P? If we are jumping to an 800, why call the 700W a W at all?

The Sagio report had a 700W/700P release and the slim form factor as the European and potential GSM release .

One rumor has Verizon and Sprint getting the 700P at the same time in April. To not totally undermine the 700W, how could the 700P be so much more sexy? As it is, it probably have a better screen and more user usable memory.

As much as I would be estatic over an 800P -- all factors for me point to a 700P and, BTW, not many people were giving that much of a chance of happenning back in October . . . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/02/2006 at 03:39 PM.
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast