Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Attached Images Attached Images
    slinky, seriously...

This is a little ridiculous.

I'm done with this rumor. After sleeping on it, I don't see any way Palm could come out with this device yet, especially not this soon. Palm is the Cuba of the gadget world.
    I'm still on a 600 and in the market for the 650 until I saw this thread... the real factor driving me to consider this "800p" is the wifi ... if it is indeed a card... wouldn't the 650 be able to support a wifi card also ? Are they already available ?
    The 650 does not support the WIFI card.
    While I'm at it.. I may as well ask... bluetooth in the 650 vs. bt 2.0 ... big difference ?
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rh71
    While I'm at it.. I may as well ask... bluetooth in the 650 vs. bt 2.0 ... big difference ?
    In my opinion, it is. You've waited this long, you might consider waiting a little bit longer. Either you'll want the next gen palm treo, or will pass and benefit from another price drop on the 650 after its release.
    Coming to you live from Creedmore Hospital where we have are reporters already in progress of a live interview with one SLINKY.

Reporter: So slinky has does it feel to be a celebrity within the wireless forum community?

Slinky: It feels really good, I was wondering though is someone can send me a care package with some foam slippers, my feet are cold.

Reporter: What do you want to say to the ones who thinks your full of BS.

Slinky: I say the hell with them, I saw a 800P! Dam it!

Reporter: How about the accusations that you were heavily intoxicated when you posted the now famous 800P thread?

Slinky: Yes it was true that I had a few drinks.

Reporter: How many is a few drinks slinky?

Slinky 20

Reporter: Well thank you Slinky, I hope you enjoy you stay here at Creedmore and we will work on those slippers.

There you have it, live from Creedmore, this has been an TC exclusive with Slinky.
    I'm still on a 600 and in the market for the 650 until I saw this thread... the real factor driving me to consider this "800p" is the wifi ... if it is indeed a card... wouldn't the 650 be able to support a wifi card also ? Are they already available ?
    Wi-Fi for 700 is a card. 650 does not provide sufficient power to the card for Wi-Fi. In both cases it is a battery life issue. Of course, if you do not mind carrying a pocketful of batteries at $47.99 a piece, it is not an issue.
    Battery life shouldn't be an issue as it could be easily turned off (if the option is designed properly). I know many users that do just that with their Bluetooth to save battery. Five uses of wifi a day for 2-3 minutes to find a few key facts shouldn't kill the battery.
    The only Palm products that are of interest to me are those that are shipping. All else is (thin) vaporware. While I am waiting for Vista from MS, any possible future product from Palm is not suffciently real to influence any present decision.

Now that the memory problem is fixed, I like my 650. It is not the $700- that I paid for it better than the 600.
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    ........I didn't realize how quickly the news would spread about the Treo 800p.......
    This is not news. At best it is hype (Palm hype is the cheapest hype of all). At worst it is (another Palm) hoax.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Battery life shouldn't be an issue as it could be easily turned off (if the option is designed properly). I know many users that do just that with their Bluetooth to save battery. Five uses of wifi a day for 2-3 minutes to find a few key facts shouldn't kill the battery.
    One value of Wi-Fi is that it provides a persistent connection. If one must turn it on and off, for any reason, its value is diminished. If one must remember to do so, it is diminished even further.
    whmurray, mobile phones move around a lot in the course of a day. Wi-Fi coverage will be sparse during much of that. As such, I think it's reasonable to expect that Wi-Fi on a cellphone will need to be used in a manual on/off mode, unless current chips can run in a super-low-power standby mode.

Personally, I'd rather have built in GPS and/or a useful camera over Wi-Fi, but YMMV.

As for this rumor...slinky, I hope you realize you've put your future Treocentral credibility on the line.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    i think the credibility is already shot
    OK, time to chip in. I was keeping quiet, but since this thread broke, my info is only minor in comparison.

I have a connection with Sprint (very high up in the organization, but not involved in the technology aspects) that has confirmed that there will be a new Treo coming out in the next few months. He had limited details, and even told me that one of the top executives at Sprint was unknowledgeable, and asked my source to clarify it more for himself. A perfect example of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

Anyhow, the only really interesting piece of information I received is that the next unit will NOT be a Sprint exclusive device and will likely be released on Vz at the same time (if Vz is even capable of releasing anything in a timely manner). Apparently, the new goal of Sprint is to market themselves on quality and value, with much less emphasis on "first to market."

My source left a couple of days ago to go to some type of conference where he promises to get more information for me.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Yes, I was at the LegalTech conference the last three days which is what exactly what Viking was pointing to. Yes, I am awaiting call backs today from a Palm rep who had a connection with an exhibit including the solutions provider in the hope of getting an insight as to the future. Some of what I have heard already confirms my conclusions but we'll see what substantive information might be shared. It's irking me that Palm/Sprint is actually pushing the 650 as the pinnacle of technology in the legal industry, as if the IT directors in most firms haven't a clue what WiFi is.

I will definitely follow up tonight (will have to wait until about 7-8 CST) with full disclosure. I'm guessing that it will all make perfect sense, many might actually be happy, and hopefully we'll see what is to be or not to be and Perry will perhaps have a much better ability to manage expectations or his trip to the funny farm.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    Coming to you live from Creedmore Hospital where we have are reporters already in progress of a live interview with one SLINKY.
    Is this Perry's address as well or was he released? Just wondering if Creedmore is a full service place - ya know, treating both the criminal as well as the victim.

I was going to send a care package to Perry (some new slippers, maybe a smock or a Palm wifi card). Well, maybe not the card - it might set him back a few steps in the program.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoStallion
    I thought the Hollywood (800p/700p/750p whatever) was going to be GSM first? DO I have to switch back to verizon now!?!

Sprint's got dibs first bro.
    Slinky escaped Horaaaaaaaay......

Viking was at the conference also, I was the good looking one.
    Why do I have the feeling that you're planning to tell us that you made the whole story up but had a good reason for doing so?
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast