Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 278910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Interesting. It will be interesting to see the applications emerge.
    They already have. That Accutracking has been around for a couple of years. MapQuest FindMe is another one... http://www.mapquestfindme.com/. Check out Telenav (http://www.mapquestfindme.com/) as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by grim02
    Are there proper APIís for the current chip in the Treo? If so, I havenít seen a developer want to take on the cost and effort of creating an application to use it because thereís no money in it. A generic receiver would ideally just show up as a generic GPS device to existing software.

Most wonít argue that including a satellite based GPS receiver can be done. Like Scott points out, itís in an iPaq. But the iPaq isnít subsidized by carriers, and therefore isnít subject to the same rules that a carrier may enforce on a smartphone manufacturer. The carriers have a big part in deciding what goes into these phones.
    The proper API's for the chip are not exposed. I've chatted with NetWizard and ShadowMite to get to them and ShadowMite confirms there's a GPS screen on the Treo, but it's come up empty. So umm, yeah there's probably a fair amount money to be made for developers on it, but without the APIs it's dead in the water.

The carriers aren't against GPS, as noted Nextel (now Sprint) actually has it in a number of their phones.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Palm Treo 800p Press release below. Feel free to discuss here or in the below thread.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...938#post895938
    Here's a couple fo articles on the viability of WiFI as copatable or cpmpeting with BT and HDSPA

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/02/emedded_hsdpa/

"Dell is very clear in its view that WiFi and cellular connectivity options are complimentary, and we are inclined to agree with this. Regardless of increasing Wi-Fi availability, coverage can never be as extensive as a cellular network - the technology simply wasn't designed with this in mind. Connecting to public access Wi-Fi networks is still also far from being a hassle free experience, especially if you don't have a subscription and need to purchase access on a session by session basis. In practical terms, therefore, a significant number of notebook users will, indeed already do, find the cellular option very useful."

For BT vs. WoiFi see:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01...ifi/page2.html
    Quote Originally Posted by treomistress
    I wonder what else he has in his hands besides his old Treo. No pictures. No credibility.
    Tsk tsk.
    Unlike Wi-Fi.....

Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    ........The carriers aren't against GPS, as noted Nextel (now Sprint) actually has it in a number of their phones.
    Sorry, Slinky. Neither "farce" nor "satire" occured to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    Here's how it's going to play out...........Sprint...

1st Q- 700w
    2nd or 3rd Q- 800P

Which falls into Sprint's ............."More Choices"!

I prepared to put money on it.
    You can send us each $50.
    Quote Originally Posted by StrangeReaction
    You can send us each $50.

LOL Slinky will be the one paying everyone $50
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    WOW we went from a 700P to a 750P to now a 800P all in one day, can I hear a 850P.
    Sounds lots like you knew this was a hoax right away. I think you got carried away with all the moronic hype everybody except slinky posted against your better judgment. Now you act like some kind of victim and join the crowd. Have the cahones to admit you knew you should have known better.

I cant post it with my real name because maybe our moderator will ban me forever too. Now editing subjects on an obvious hoax. Every thread here is a hoax. You all got caught with yer pants down and instead of admitting it you are making somebody a scapegoat. No Cahones Central.
    If it walks like a Slinky, and talks like a Slinky...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyseason
    Sounds lots like you knew this was a hoax right away. I think you got carried away with all the moronic hype everybody except slinky posted against your better judgment. Now you act like some kind of victim and join the crowd. Have the cahones to admit you knew you should have known better.

I cant post it with my real name because maybe our moderator will ban me forever too. Now editing subjects on an obvious hoax. Every thread here is a hoax. You all got caught with yer pants down and instead of admitting it you are making somebody a scapegoat. No Cahones Central.
    I love your new name. Matches your message. We know you are not Perry.
    Sounded interesting until Shakespeare said they were able to get 128MB of RAM in it because of the good battery life. Flash RAM is non-powered 99% of the time.

... anyway, I thought it was entertaining. The rumors are much more stimulating than Palm's 700p realities.
    Patrick Horne
    Ok, enough Slinky Sillyseason-- it's over. You're banned for a while, or longer and you had your fun, now let's move on.

Does anyone wonder why Palm replaced Real with pocket tunes? I mean, I love it -- somebody finally wised up, but any clue as to why they made the change? I think it's a tremendous compliment to the ptunes guys. I'm sure Real paid Palm a bit to get that placement, but somehow, they figured out no one was using it? Did anyone confirm which version of ptunes is included?
    Quote Originally Posted by ricochet
    Ok, enough Slinky Sillyseason-- it's over. You're banned for a while, or longer and you had your fun, now let's move on.

Does anyone wonder why Palm replaced Real with pocket tunes? I mean, I love it -- somebody finally wised up, but any clue as to why they made the change? I think it's a tremendous compliment to the ptunes guys. I'm sure Real paid Palm a bit to get that placement, but somehow, they figured out no one was using it? Did anyone confirm which version of ptunes is included?

Keep it mind it wasn't confirmed if it was basic or Deluxe edition.
    Quote Originally Posted by ricochet
    Pocket Tunes did win the Powered Up Award for best Multimedia. Palm would have looked like idiots if they used Real Player again instead of the contest winner IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    If it walks like a Slinky, and talks like a Slinky...
    too bad it isnt a slinky. Wrong person wrong profession. just as I thought, banning, banning, banning. Happy I created a spy account which you banned too. It seems moderators take themselvs to seriously. where were You guys when you thought the thread was getting out of control? It never did. now yer pissed and slander him. I'm pissed because there is no free speech here. this is so stupid. admit yer wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by banningseason
    too bad it isnt a slinky. Wrong person wrong profession. just as I thought, banning, banning, banning. Happy I created a spy account which you banned too. It seems moderators take themselvs to seriously. where were You guys when you thought the thread was getting out of control? It never did. now yer pissed and slander him. I'm pissed because there is no free speech here. this is so stupid. admit yer wrong.
    WTF are you talkin' about? Admit I'm wrong about what?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by banningseason
    Hi Slinky! Lots of free time on your hands now, huh?
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    WTF are you talkin' about? Admit I'm wrong about what?
    Oh just admit you're a farce! That's not you in your avatar..I call BS!!!!!
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 278910111213 LastLast