Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    My guess is that "slinky" did see something like he described. I would also bet that he is being tols he will get "call back" and return emails. He probably is just starting to figure out that he is in an endless loop of runarounds that all of us have experienced in trying to confirm release rumors. I have no doubt someone here is regularly checking FCC documentation for notes, licensing, etc - when we see that, it will probably coincide with some sort of official announcement. He/she is also probably starting to realize what a bunch of cynical, sarcastic geeks some of you are. Seriously, this is the primary reason I don't frequent this place anymore. It's exhausting watching the same people go into circle jerk mode every time someone says they saw something/heard something/have a source/etc. Read the posts, don't place too much credance on any one rumor, and then you won't be disappointed when it turns out to be false. It makes for entertaining reading, but most of the rest of us are laughing AT you, not WITH you. If anything like the above described device comes out in the next six months, I'll buy one. If not, I'll have to move on. I'm sick of all the issues I have with my 650...

oh, by the way - I'm not slinky. The last time I chimed in to voice my opinion of this rumor criticism crap, I was accused of that sort of thing.
    Former long term user of the Treo line, then on to the HTC 8125/8525. Now I have graduated to the iPhone. For the first time since getting my first Treo 600, I am not constantly scanning the web looking for a better converged device.
    I have no need at all for wifi, but if it came with
    built-in gps I'd definitely upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterFuhrman
    Here's my two cents. Take it for what it's worth.

I'm an avid fan of Engadget, and have had the opportunity of talking to Ryan Block on more than one occasion about a product for one of our clients. In my opinion, they know more than they're allowed to say, i.e. NDAs and personal promises keep them quiet on stories they'd love to get out. Now once something comes out, they post the story, but continue to deem it "speculation."

I haven't seen too many instances where they've posted speculation and it hasn't come true. So, all in all, I hope (and think) slinky is telling at least some partial truth.
    You beat me to it. EVERYONE is running this 'rumor'. I think the major Treo-related sites know a lot more than they let on, but they are under NDA. You can't talk about something unannounced, but if someone blabs (even if that someone is making it up), you can certainly run it. If this turns out to be not true, the entire community is going to have egg on its collective face.

Having said that, if slinky is making this up, the specific details don't all have to be true.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by lemongrass
    I have no need at all for wifi, but if it came with
    built-in gps I'd definitely upgrade.
    It seems that GPS would be an expensive and potentially device enlarging option. I would guess that most users (i.e. non-Treo Central members) would not be willing to pay extra for that feature. I would be interested especially since my Treo is in my pack while I trail ride on my mountain bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by theswami
    It seems that GPS would be an expensive and potentially device enlarging option. I would guess that most users (i.e. non-Treo Central members) would not be willing to pay extra for that feature. I would be interested especially since my Treo is in my pack while I trail ride on my mountain bike.
    My mole (who happens to be a chain smoking 'possum) tells me this will be included in the upcoming 850G version.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    My mole (who happens to be a chain smoking 'possum) tells me this will be included in the upcoming 850G version.
    I thought the possum had an NDA with you...
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    I would be interested especially since my Treo is in my pack while I trail ride on my mountain bike.
    Yes Delorme's Topo provides trail maps and would be a great option. Back in my PalmVx days I researched and found handlebar mounts for motorcycles / mountain bikes. Unfortunately when on the trail I have an extreme talent for going over the handlebars especially when encountering large trail obstacles or on black diamond decents.

I took a weeklong tour of Utah's national parks (Zion, Bryce, etc) and would have loved to have it then where the riding isn't, for the most part, too technical....even though I dis manage to dislocate my shoulder on one spill.

http://www.escapeadventures.com/tour...anyon_zion.htm

If ya ever take that trip, Thunder Mountain is a hell of a ride.
    800G is already reserved for the Google mobile OS version
    Quote Originally Posted by HasanDaddy
    it bums me out that a lot of you guys were "calling out" slinky

Slinky has a history of over 500 posts

in addition, the specs he quoted were EXTREMELY reasonable --- I think us Treo users simply suffer from low expectations

a 3.2 MP on a camera phone is NOTHING these days

ditto on wifi and the other details

lastly --- this is a RUMORS board

come here to read rumors and daydream about them all day

if you wanna "call people out" then go over to the 700W board and do that with the losers over there

This is pretty well said, except that I don't know of a carrier in the US releasing a 3.2 MP phone. It's probably the average in Europe or Asia, but I just haven't seen it here.

Everything else about Slinky and it being a rumors board, I second.
    There's already a GPS-enabled chip in the Treo 600 and 650, just that the network hasn't allowed outside developers to work with it. Sprint has released a couple of GPS-enabled phones (including one that's kind of Razr thing, I think) and Nextel has had them out for years.

I don't think it's a stretch to have GPS in it at all.
    Thanks for the info, slinky....I'll hold back on the lawyer jokes for now (as long as you don't crush our hopes and dreams).

As for GPS, the current Treo does have a "chip" as mentioned, but I believe that is only used to triangulate a location based on cell towers. What I believe those requesting GPS are asking for is an actual receiver built into the Treo, like the Garman unit has.

I seriously doubt that any carrier would go for that, because they would love to sell you their service that uses the tower triangulation method of GPS based services. If it had the receiver, you wouldn't need Sprint/Nextel's or anyone else to tell you where you were.

As a 650/Tom Tom Navigator user, having the receiver built in would be dreamy, but I don't see it happening.

Now a suggestion to anyone here who might have any meetings like slinky reports to have had: practice your super spy picture taking abilites. This is when you open the Camera application and pretend you're talking on the phone, while you're really holding your thumb on the center button and trying to aim the lens directly at your target. Some awful, grainy, low light shots of a 800P would be great!
    Quote Originally Posted by grim02

I seriously doubt that any carrier would go for that, because they would love to sell you their service that uses the tower triangulation method of GPS based services. If it had the receiver, you wouldn't need Sprint/Nextel's or anyone else to tell you where you were.

!

I agree and I could actually live with that service from the carrier, I had it on a cell phone and it wasn't that bad. Heck for say $5 a month, that would be $60 a year. It costs a least $200 for a GPS bundle. It would take 3 years to reach that.
    Umm...the HP iPaq 6515 has a built in GPS (the real kind, not the kind that triangulates via cell towers). So, yes it can be done and I, too, would prefer that over Wi-Fi. But I'll happily take both.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Does the GSM model also have that? Just enabling that would be a big improvement! Cingular doesn't offer that now though, but it would be great if they did. A real GPS receiver built in might also just be used by the carriers to augment the triangulation method - I'm not sure it necessarily mean the OS would have access to it any more than we can currently access the built-in triangulation...?

Quote Originally Posted by grim02
    As for GPS, the current Treo does have a "chip" as mentioned, but I believe that is only used to triangulate a location based on cell towers. What I believe those requesting GPS are asking for is an actual receiver built into the Treo, like the Garman unit has.

Nextel (now part of Sprint) phones come built-in with GPS (real satellite using kind) that is free. See http://www.accutracking.com/. The thing that generally costs money are the maps.

For what it's worth, I'll note that it's present in the Treo 650 and its used by businesses today: http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759...119TX1K0000594

I don't think real vs. cell triangulation really matters that much. One or the other would be a giant leap over nothing.
    So,. . . . is the 800p to be, or not to be?

(Sorry, couldn't believe it hadn't been used yet during the Shakespeare musings.) The discussion has made me so excited, however, "If they build it, I will . . ., hmmmm,..... Buy it!"
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    There's already a GPS-enabled chip in the Treo 600 and 650, just that the network hasn't allowed outside developers to work with it. Sprint has released a couple of GPS-enabled phones (including one that's kind of Razr thing, I think) and Nextel has had them out for years.

I don't think it's a stretch to have GPS in it at all.
    There may be a fundamental misunderstanding here between triangulation and GPS. Triangulation uses the difference between the strength of the signal from the phone at several towers for the carrier to compute where the phone is. GPS uses the timing of signals from three or more satellites for the receiver to compute where it is.

It is triangulation, not GPS, that the carriers are using to comply with the law enforcement mandate to be able to tell them where a cell-based 911 call originates from.

In either case, there must be an application programming interface, API, for an application on the device to know where the phone is. Some of you may remember that the Palm VII had an API that an application could query to get the zip code of the tower that it was talking to.

It is not a stretch for Treo and other phones to have carrier-based triangulation locator service. In fact it is mandated on the carriers. Global Positioning Satellite based location is unnecessary, unlikely, impractical, and not compliant with the 911 mandate. Very few GPS receivers work indoors but cell phones do. Triangulation will. Very few phones will have integrated GPS but triangulation works with any phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by #1, The Larch
    So,. . . . is the 800p to be, or not to be?

(Sorry, couldn't believe it hadn't been used yet during the Shakespeare musings.) The discussion has made me so excited, however, "If they build it, I will . . ., hmmmm,..... Buy it!"
    If history is to be my guide, I will buy whatever they produce at whatever price.
    Geez, we're all obviously anxious for information, but it burns me that we're getting sucked in by this rumor. Yes, Slinky's been around for a while, so ok -- he should know what kind of consternation those tidbits would cause.

If he's out of pocket, he should call someone, give them the info, answer their questions and let them post. This is not hard. There is no reason to drag this out, except to laugh at us swinging in the wind and guessing wildly.

His second post (the part on the enfora sled) didn't make sense either. He said he SAW the phone connect via wifi, but he didn't say the phone had the sled on it. So what did he see? If he saw a sled, or an SD card that had a piece sticking out of the top, he would've said so.

Maybe he's just Perry's evil twin, and hoping that this pseudo-publicity will force Palm's hand and announce what they really have in the pipe.

Slinky, please don't post again on this topic unless you're willing to do a Q&A. If you don't do a Q&A, I think a lot of people will dismiss this whole thread as bunk (if they haven't already). Enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    .......I don't think real vs. cell triangulation really matters that much.
    Except in the rare but important cases where one is trapped in a mine, collapsed building, or avalanche.

One or the other would be a giant leap over nothing.
    Agreed. Triangulation is very useful for locating the nearest Starbucks when one does not already know the zip code. However, for true navigation, I actually prefer a separate BT connected device that I can put on the roof or the dash.