1.    #1  
    I just bought a 1GB card for my 650 and want to take some cd's and turn them into MP3's to play on my Treo --

Any help on how to do that ?

What program do you use to turn cd's into MP3's ?

Can you use Real Player on Treo to play them or do you need PocketTunes?
    Windows Media Player will work to convert them to MP3.

Real Player works with MP3, but I prefer Pocket Tunes Deluxe
    CDEX, available at www.sourceforge.net

I've been using Ogg format recently, for smaller file size.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    What's Ogg format? And how small is the file size compared to a 128kbps mp3 file?
    Sony Clie N610C Sony Clie N710C Sony Clie UX50 Palm Tungsten T|5 Locked Cingular Treo 650 Locked Cingular Treo 680
    "You see, Netherlands is this make-believe place where Peter Pan and Tinkerbell come from." - Joey Tribbiani
  5.    #5  
    When doing it in Windows media player, what size should I pick ? 128kbps? What I'll have is just audio , no video.
    Quote Originally Posted by 500mL
    What's Ogg format? And how small is the file size compared to a 128kbps mp3 file?

Chart Comparison
    I really like audiograbber. http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/

It has a nice CDDB option to download the filenames for you too.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Gold standard for ripping
    http://www.exactaudiocopy.org/
    Supports external encoders like LAME. Tutorial at
    http://users.pandora.be/satcp/tutorials.htm
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by jmgilliam
    When doing it in Windows media player, what size should I pick ? 128kbps? What I'll have is just audio , no video.
    You are better off using CDEX. If you use WMP it may DRM your music which will mandate you to use Pocket Tunes Delux and you won't be able to play gap-less music.

Timmay
    Im a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    You are better off using CDEX. If you use WMP it may DRM your music which will mandate you to use Pocket Tunes Delux and you won't be able to play gap-less music.

Timmay
    What is "DRM" -
  11.    #11  
    With Windows MP - I take it you can rip it to a windows media type file - does WMP also have a way to encode it to MP3 or is an outside program necessary for that?

MG
    With Windows MP - I take it you can rip it to a windows media type file - does WMP also have a way to encode it to MP3 or is an outside program necessary for that?

MG
    DRM is Digital Rights Management....Copy Protection.

Anyways, get over the fixation with WMP, and use one of the other rippers mentioned in this thread.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    DRM is Digital Rights Management....Copy Protection.

Anyways, get over the fixation with WMP, and use one of the other rippers mentioned in this thread.
    I don't have a fixation with WMP - I just already have it - I was hoping to use something 'Free'

Do you have a recommendation from the above list ?

Also what about my question about other programs necessary to encode to mp3 once ripped?
    EAC is free. It will repeatedly read a CD with scratches etc to ensure accurate ripping.

It has a significant "cult" following and was cited as a way to rip the "copy-protected" SONY CD's.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I don't have a fixation with WMP - I just already have it - I was hoping to use something 'Free'

Do you have a recommendation from the above list ?

Also what about my question about other programs necessary to encode to mp3 once ripped?
    I believe everything mentioned is free. Audiograbber used to charge, but they've done away with that.

Can't give you a glowing recommendation unfortunately. If I'm ripping to my iPod, i just use Apples codec. If I'm ripping to keep on my computer, I'll use FLAC or Monkey. (Not really what you'd call Treo friendly formats)
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    CDEX, available at www.sourceforge.net

I am a professional DJ and rip all of my purchased CD's with this software. I get at least 5 per month, and have been doing it for years.