Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    My treo resets on its own too much. So I'm debating on hard resetting and starting all over...

whats the best way to backup all the date including data from 3rd party programs and all that? Can someone please shoot me some info and details... thanks!
    backupman works great for me. Puts backup on the card, and when restoring, allows for full restore or selective restore.

Has never failed me yet, and have done the hard reset half dozen times at least.
    RJuhl
    Hot sync first and do a clean install:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=clean+install
    (start with the hard reset of the 650 within these instructions)

Cheers, Perry
    Quote Originally Posted by sj808
    My treo resets on its own too much. So I'm debating on hard resetting and starting all over...

whats the best way to backup all the date including data from 3rd party programs and all that? Can someone please shoot me some info and details... thanks!
    While there are backup programs (I use Resco Explorer), what you really want is to make sure your PIM information is backed up. These are Calendar, Tasks, Contacts and Memos. These are backed up as .dat files by their own conduits.

The 3rd party files and other system files are backed up by the Backup conduit when Hotsycing, in the Backup directory on the PC in
    C:\Program Files\palmOne\<your ID>\Backup
    directory.

You don't want to restore these, or restore from a backup by any 3rd party program. If you do, you'll end up exactly where you are now.

What you should do is the following:

1. Rename C:\Program Files\palmOne\Treo\Backup to BackupOLD
    2. Hotsync - this will backup the latest files from your Treo to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Treo\Backup
    3. Rename C:\Program Files\palmOne\Treo\Backup to BackupNEW
    4. Hard reset
    5. Hotsync and select your ID as the one to use
    You will now have all your PIM information back, and nothing else.
    6. Reinstall your applications from scratch.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I use BackupBuddyVFS for this. For the same reason I did what your wanting and even bought Uninstall Manager for the reload. No real change in resets. 1.20 firmware made it worse. I found an answer and its free.

rlock - to keep bad apps from misbehaving
    powerup - turn radio back on after reset

Great news...stilll resets, but I don't notice it any longer. same goal different means.

Derek
    Derek

Treo 180 --> 270 --> 600 --> 650 --> 680 -- Pro ( )
    Before I did a hard reset and reinstall all my programs, I had about 3 mb space on my Treo. I didn't have a lot of apps on it mind you. I just tried a lot of programs and then deleted them.

I finally said screw it and did and reinstall, with a new Treo device name. Wow the free space went up to 14mb. It's totally worth it. You just need to copy the phonebook database over.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    thanks everyone one for the help. I appreciate it all.

I think Imma hard reset and just start from scartch without backing up my 3rd party programs.

Though, I NEED to backup just one data from one program.... Splashmoney, suggestions on how to backup just that one as far as the 3rd party and then how to put it back on?
    Not a Splashmoney user, but they must have a data file (or two. . .) See if you can find those files in internal memory and copy them to the SD Card to be brought back after you reinstall.

.prc files are usually program files
    .pdb files are usually data files (short for palm data base?)

FileZ
    www.nosleep.net (click on download)
    freeware file manager. . . . .
    Does Splashmoney have a PC based component that stores the data (and even run a PC based Splashmoney) on the PC? Then you may be able to re-sync the data using Splashmoney.

DTG, eWallet and some other programs work that way. Check the FAQ and Splashmoney documentation.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    thanks again for the help guys...

I just hard resetted and putting everything back on...

Though my versamail setting didn't get put back on after I hotsync'd. Any way to get my emails back, or should i just manually put everything back on?