1.    #1  
    Yesterday, I decided to go on a hike.

As I'm skipping through this field of daisies, night begins to fall.
    I decide now would be a good time to return home. So as I'm skipping along, I drop my basket. It falls onto this mushroom patch. Well, I'm not a big fan of mushrooms, but after spending the day frolicking with nature, I was a bit hungry. So I reached down and plucked the fattest one I saw. I began to eat it, and it wasn't bad. So I had another.

And another.

And another.

Evidently, I ate to much, as I was starting to feel not quite right.
    So I sat on this log.

The next thing I know, a 'possum walks up and hops up on the log next to me.
    He looks at me, and I look at him. We introduce each other. He pulls out a pack of Camel UltraLights from his pouch, and offers me one.
    I decline.
    He fires his up, takes a long drag, and exhales. Then he turns to me and says that just on the other side of this hill is a factory, and he wants me to see it.

I go with him.

We get to the top of the hill, and there it is. A factory. But not any factory, oh no! It's Palm!!!onE!1!

He says "Come with me, I want to introduce you to someone..."

I follow.

We go through the main doors, and into an elevator. He tells me we're going to the top floor. Well, we must have been in that elevator for what seemed to be an hour, climbing and climbing and climbing.

Finally, we stop. The door opens into an office.

"Come in" a voice said.

The 'possum says "I've brought a friend here to meet you..."
    Possum turns to me and says, "I'd like you to meet Ed Colligan."

I reach out my hand and we shake.

"Is there anything I can do for you?" Ed asks.

I tell him, I really really need to know if there will ever be another PalmOS Treo.

"Indeed!" he says, "In fact, I am using one now."

He pulls it out, and the first thing I notice is the screen. It's the same 2" square of old, but somehow they've managed through some voodoo to fit a 43 inch 1080p LCD display into it. Not only will it have this new display, but the SD slot will also double as a DVD/R drive! TiVo and DirecTV are optional and either Sirius (for Sprint) or XM (for the unbranded version) recievers as well. (Sorry, no mention of Cingular...)

The Sprint version is due out on 4/1. It will have WiFi and something known as EEE!EVDO (extraExtraEXTRA!EVDO) allowing you to download webpages before they've even been created!

I asked about RAM. He said it would only have 4GBs.

Seems cramming 43 inches of display into the Treo, doesn't leave much room for flash RAM.

"Can't have everything," he tells me.

His Treo rings, and after taking the call, informs me that he needs to go into a meeting. We say good bye and leave.

My 'possum friend walks with me back to the log were we met, and wishes me well on my journey home.

The excitement of this encounter and confirmation of the new Treo really took it's toll on me. I must have fallen asleep. I awoke a few hours ago, still next to the log and now empty mushroom patch. Though my head is a bit woozy for some reason, I still ran home as fast as I could so I could report this to you, my friends at TC!

Yes Perry, BELIEVE!

(go ahead Mods, I know you're going to move this. Knock yourself out)
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Don't confuse me with the facts or the fiction. . . . . . . . .

My mind is made up.

I BELIEVE !!

27 days to announcement (or commitment hearing).
    Last edited by gtwo; 01/26/2006 at 10:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Yesterday, I decided to go on a hike.

As I'm skipping through this field of daisies, night begins to fall.
    I decide now would be a good time to return home. So as I'm skipping along, I drop my basket. It falls onto this mushroom patch. Well, I'm not a big fan of mushrooms, but after spending the day frolicking with nature, I was a bit hungry. So I reached down and plucked the fattest one I saw. I began to eat it, and it wasn't bad. So I had another.

And another.

And another.

Evidently, I ate to much, as I was starting to feel not quite right.
    So I sat on this log.

The next thing I know, a 'possum walks up and hops up on the log next to me.
    He looks at me, and I look at him. We introduce each other. He pulls out a pack of Camel UltraLights from his pouch, and offers me one.
    I decline.
    He fires his up, takes a long drag, and exhales. Then he turns to me and says that just on the other side of this hill is a factory, and he wants me to see it.

I go with him.

We get to the top of the hill, and there it is. A factory. But not any factory, oh no! It's Palm!!!onE!1!

He says "Come with me, I want to introduce you to someone..."

I follow.

We go through the main doors, and into an elevator. He tells me we're going to the top floor. Well, we must have been in that elevator for what seemed to be an hour, climbing and climbing and climbing.

Finally, we stop. The door opens into an office.

"Come in" a voice said.

The 'possum says "I've brought a friend here to meet you..."
    Possum turns to me and says, "I'd like you to meet Ed Colligan."

I reach out my hand and we shake.

"Is there anything I can do for you?" Ed asks.

I tell him, I really really need to know if there will ever be another PalmOS Treo.

"Indeed!" he says, "In fact, I am using one now."

He pulls it out, and the first thing I notice is the screen. It's the same 2" square of old, but somehow they've managed through some voodoo to fit a 43 inch 1080p LCD display into it. Not only will it have this new display, but the SD slot will also double as a DVD/R drive! TiVo and DirecTV are optional and either Sirius (for Sprint) or XM (for the unbranded version) recievers as well. (Sorry, no mention of Cingular...)

The Sprint version is due out on 4/1. It will have WiFi and something known as EEE!EVDO (extraExtraEXTRA!EVDO) allowing you to download webpages before they've even been created!

I asked about RAM. He said it would only have 4GBs.

Seems cramming 43 inches of display into the Treo, doesn't leave much room for flash RAM.

"Can't have everything," he tells me.

His Treo rings, and after taking the call, informs me that he needs to go into a meeting. We say good bye and leave.

My 'possum friend walks with me back to the log were we met, and wishes me well on my journey home.

The excitement of this encounter and confirmation of the new Treo really took it's toll on me. I must have fallen asleep. I awoke a few hours ago, still next to the log and now empty mushroom patch. Though my head is a bit woozy for some reason, I still ran home as fast as I could so I could report this to you, my friends at TC!

Yes Perry, BELIEVE!

Where do I start? Square screen? Single SD slot? TiVo/DirectV OPTIONAL?

4GB RAM? DVD/R? How will that affect battery life?

And Palm, can you PLEASE get on the wireless boat? I thought EVDO doesn't allow simultaneous voice and data - where's the EVDV?

And why do we have to wait until April?

Insertion, how could you fail to ask about the OS? Will there be a roadshow discount?

Very disappointing. I'm sorry.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    I'm not sure what you mean by a 43 inch 1080p display. If it is 2 inches square, then the 43 inches makes no sense. 1080p is nice though, and I assume the US version will have both NTSC and ATSC tuners built in.

I really think they went the wrong direction with making the SD slot double as a DVDR drive, it makes the Treo way too big, and shows that they weren't really planning for the future (Blu-Ray). What they should do is have the ability to connect to external devices such as disc drives, hard drives, screens/projectors, etc., through the hotsync port, bluetooth, or wifi.

I also have an idea about form factor. I like the size of the Treo, but I know a lot of newcomers think it is a little on the large side. I think that Palm should separate the Treo into different parts -- a main unit, and a hand unit. The hand unit would consist of: battery, bluetooth radio, microphone, screen, speaker, stylus, and thumbboard, with minimal processing ability -- basically a dumb terminal that communicates with the main unit via bluetooth. This would enable the hand unit to be quite thin, as it need not house the cellular radios, sd-card slot, hotsync port, camera, antenna, etc., and while it does have a battery, it would not be as large a battery as in the main unit. The main unit would have the main processor, all the ports, antenna (be it internal or external), camera, radios (including another BT radio, so that it can communicate with the hand unit), card slots, possibly a speakerphone if putting that on the hand unit proves difficult, and the main battery (which would recharge the battery in the hand unit when the units are attached). When attached, the whole thing would be roughly the size of the current Treo, but this setup would allow one to keep the main unit in one's holster/briefcase/desk/etc., while only having to manually interface with a compact/lightweight phone/pda. It also might be interesting to make the hand unit a flip phone, folding at the division between thumbboard and screen (it would unfold a full 180 degrees). The processing power would still be there, kept in your briefcase, and your pda/phone would fit neatly in your shirt pocket without making it sag.

Back on subject, I fear that EEE!EVDO may end up causing a rip in the space-time continuum, as content creators stop doing their jobs and just connect to their own sites, pull down the pages before they have created them, and then upload them to their servers (assuming they are not using the Treos as servers). We are all doomed.
    Where can I get these mushrooms?
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Is it Cobalt or Garnet? Also with only 4GB how much is user accessible?
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Did he REALLY have a meeting or did his treo reset because of the phone call and he din't want you to hear it re-boot?
    Will that odd flashing star thing-a-ma-jig on the screen be in HD?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    Where can I get these mushrooms?
    PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by treozero
    Did he REALLY have a meeting or did his treo reset because of the phone call and he din't want you to hear it re-boot?
    Good point - I've almost always had the Treo reset when I show it to an eager newbie.
    Wow...y'all got a hold of the GOOD drugs....
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.